NAF Logo
leftstar May 22, 2024 - 09:45 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Rock n Roll rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Vancouver, BC
All,

As a preemptive kick to my a$$ for the coming year's Canadian Open [i.e. 2013] I am inviting any criticism from the participants from any CO's from 2009 - 2012 [or those who have read the to rules and can offer constructive advice] on two topics:

• What rule-set do you prefer: 2009-11 or 2012?; what portions of the two do you like?; What changes would you like to to see to establish balance between the the tiers? (@Lizardcoe or Stimme the 2012 rules link seems to be dead, could you re-post? or send the file so i can do it?)

• If the tourney be moved to the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge region, would that prevent you from attending the tourney? [It is cheaper than the GTA to rent a room; And my apartment is just as big as Pete's basement and can house a several coaches].

I am not looking for placation, so be honest.

I just need to know where to spend my focus for this year.

Reply with quote Back to top
LizardcoreOffline
Post subject: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I sent you the file this morning.

I won't be there, so I'll comment on the TO prespective:
- given the sampling of coaches in canadian tournies (less than 30), the balancing rules have little consequences, people just play the team they have / haven't play for a long time.
- from the TO perspective, having the roster set before the first game makes it smoother for the rest of the tournament.
- for the location, beside the regulars, this year in attendance were 2 XTBBF (Mellis and Turfchewer) and 2 players from the MeepleMart league. Going to the west might get those 4 guys out of the list, beside that, I don't think it changes much for the rest of the players.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Toronto, ON
If it is two days, going to the K/W area will certainly mean less people from Toronto. I imagine downtown isn't cheap but perhaps somewhere closer would be? I remember Ben ran one our in Mississauga or Brampton in a hotel. Dunno if that helps you or not.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Canada
I agree with Lizardcore and Anthony. Moving it to Kitchener may hurt your numbers, but as long as the rules are balanced, I don't think they will really make a difference. I would be nervous about everyone crashing at your place. Depending on how many crash there, that may make it less appealing knowing you are going to be cramped on the floor with 10-15 other guys.

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:12 AM

Vancouver, BC
All the CO's have been in the Toronto/Brampton area. The issue is that I live in Kitchener and have had issues securing locations successfully when having to do it over the phone or relying on other people.

The issue with the hotel was that it was expensive, which is why it was soon abandoned. And I do not want 80% of the entrance fee to go towards the venue; I would rather have a low entrance fee or put the money towards awards and such.

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:14 AM

Vancouver, BC
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
. . . less appealing knowing you are going to be cramped on the floor with 10-15 other guys.

I am not suggesting having that many, but was pointing it out as an alternative to a hotel.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Toronto, ON
If it is in K/W, where will it be held? Did you mean your apartment was just a place for accommodation or are you planning to host the event there as well?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Vancouver, BC
I kinda doubt the statement about losing attendees as, according to my records, only about 2-3 people a year from the Toronto-Brampton-Missisagua Area attended for the 3 years I ran it in Mississagua. So everyone is traveling a long distance already and the extra Toronto players [this year] were their only 'cause it was in Toronto.

Last edited by Eric.R. on Jun 20, 2012 - 09:31 AM; edited 1 time in total

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 09:27 AM

Vancouver, BC
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:
If it is in K/W, where will it be held? Did you mean your apartment was just a place for accommodation or are you planning to host the event there as well?

Not running it at my apt. It would be at a separate venue. Just sleeping accommodations.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Toronto, ON
It is the Canadian Open so it I guess shouldn't matter too much where you run it. When I started it I ran it in Toronto because I live here. It's a lot easier to organize something where you live like you mentioned.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Canadian Open 2013 - Preamble  PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 02:03 PM

Canada
Personally I would love it to be in Kitchener, as I enjoy the road trip aspect of the tourney scene. Kitchener is only an hour away for me, but that just means more time for drinking!

And who knows, maybe if you hold it in Kitchener we may get some BBers coming out of the woodwork up in that area! We have seen it in Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, why not Kitchener? I say at least try it for one year. If it doesn't work out, then you have your answer, but at least you tried.

I believe it was you who was the first to try the fiv game format with three on the first day, and two on the second, and I have to say that I LOVE that format, as it gives time to socialize and play other games on the Saturday night.

Prizes have always been a secondary consideration for me. a small trophy, to say "I did that" is plenty, IMO.

I am not fussed about the team creation, and other types of rulesets, as once the games start, you just learn to adjust wth it. I do like the random element that the 2009-11 format provided, but then the 2012 gave a boost to some of the less favourable teams, and actually gave Khemri enough of a nudge to make them a contender!

I don't know how helpful this is to you, because I am not giving strong opinions either way for any of the real issues, but that is because I do not have any. I will come wherever you host it and play whatever the ruleset may be.

For a long time now I have felt that this is more about hanging out with good friends, than it is about playing the game of Blood Bowl. Blood Bowl is just the facilitator! Very Happy

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 02:13 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
KW would be fine for me. 2 years ago at the Warpstone there was 3 from Kitchener. Plus Talons is in London & maybe Chairface may get lured out of the shadows....

Personally Eric I prefered your rules for the CDN open. But I'd attend no matter what the ruleset is.

5 games has its advantages as Spazz said. & I can see more TO's may follow suit. (I need 6 for the system I use at the Warpstone Cup, but 5 or 6 works fine for me)

As far as sleep, heck I'll sleep in a car if I had to. Wink

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 - 04:02 PM

for the rules, you could keep your own rules, but give more money for team creation or skill purchase for the lesser tiers. mix the 2 systems in 1 !

wapcapletsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hamilton, Ontario
Eric, you should host the tournament where it's easiest for you to run it. You know that the tournament faithful will show up. I held Blingtoof in Toronto last year specifically to accommodate the Toronto crowd and, while I totally appreciate Tyler, Christian, and Dave having shown up, I was really disappointed at how few Toronto players came that weren't already tourney regulars.

grant85Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2012 - 09:50 PM

Canada
I had a lot of fun at both the '06 and '10 Canadian Opens!

Any rule set works for me. I would love it to be in kitchener/waterloo because I live here and could host a few people for the weekend.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic