NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 02:04 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
It's like chess only... different. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SBGOffline
Post subject: Skill for a BC (Already posted on TBB)  PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 11:14 AM

Canada
Hi Guys, I wanted your input too!

Here's the deal :

I got an almost legendary Bull Centaur! On top of the Sprint, Sure Feet, Thick Skull, he gained Catch, Block, Break Tackle and +1 ST!!

He reached 76 SPP last game, and rolled 5,5 !!! What do I do? GO with the MA, Dodge or Stand Firm?????

Fred

Reply with quote Back to top
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 11:21 AM

I would not choose the MA +1. Dodge and Stand Firm are solid selections.

-Chet

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 11:22 AM

I think I posted my opinion already on TBB, but Dodge is the way to go. You can reroll your Break Tackle, and you're even better at staying upright.

-Oscar Wilde

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:31 PM

United States of America
Yup, Dodge would make him killer! Break Tackle & 1/6 less chance of landing on your ass on a block

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 03:31 PM

Undisclosed
I still say Leap Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 07:11 PM

Had your guy not gained catch, I would have advised you to take stand firm - so that he can more easily hit back people who did not manage to knock him down.
But since you've got catch, I believe that you may as well keep on developing him as the ball carrier / runner you intended to turn him into - am I right about your intention? Subsequently, once he's got the ball he will be supposed to have according to you tactic, he'd better keep it, and dodge is THE appropriate skill here...

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 27, 2003 - 09:52 PM

Mind you, his next skill now has to be Sure Hands, because everyone in your league will be taking Strip Ball.

-Oscar Wilde

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2003 - 02:00 AM
Da Warboss

England
stand firm and this guy ain't never going down...

NAF #60

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2003 - 04:28 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Stand Firm and he can dodge to his hearts content, even once he's used Break Tackle.

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2003 - 12:02 PM

He can play a running game forcing his way towards the endzone. If he fails his dodge with SF (which is unlikely with BT, and if nevertheless does, he will certainly remain stuck to opponents who can hit him back, situation which is hardly better than falling from a failed dodge. And without dodge, it is not very hard to bring this guy down.
On the other hand, with the dodge skill, he is less likely to fail his dodge (at 2+ in no tackle zone!!), and he will also be less likely to be knocked down and lose the ball.

There can always be arguments for both sides (i.e. dodge and SF) and it ultimately all depends on how you play, but personally, I would definitely take dodge in view of the skills you've already taken...

...although I'm afraid I will confuse you by suggesting you consider frenzy as an alternative. Why? You can use him like a witch elf, blitzing you way out when dodges are too risky, and frenzy will give you two chances instead of one to knock your opponents away... On top of that, he will be the right guy to bring down opposing ball carriers.

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2003 - 02:14 PM

Canada
Thanks guys!

I've taken DOdge. I hesitated, but ultimately, it came down to this: down only on POW's, I can use BTackle and use Dodge if it fails. Taking Stand Firm was very tempting, since I could now roam free on the sidelines, but it finally came down to one less chance of being knocked down.

@JJB: yes, he is my ball carrier! And a pretty good one as well! 6TD's in 7 games, my team totals 10 TD's!!!

@Skummy: of course, his next skill (although in 50 SPP's) will be sure hands. It would have been if not for the double.

Fred

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 29, 2003 - 06:05 PM

SBG wrote:
I've taken DOdge. I hesitated, but ultimately, it came down to this: down only on POW's, I can use BTackle and use Dodge if it fails. Taking Stand Firm was very tempting, since I could now roam free on the sidelines, but it finally came down to one less chance of being knocked down.

Don't forget those pesky opponents with the Tackle skill. You can bet that your BC will become a prime Blitz target if he's exposed on any turn. This afternoon I led my Chaos Pact team against a rival Elf team. We each had 2 players with Tackle. Believe me, these players did a majority of the blitzing for my team. (They did quite a bit for him, of course, but only 3 of my players had Dodge, so Tackle was less useful.) So be confident - you have a budding superstar, after all - but don't get carried away. He's only ST4.

-Chet

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 - 09:23 AM

Canada
      Tutenkharnage wrote:
      SBG wrote:

Don't forget those pesky opponents with the Tackle skill. You can bet that your BC will become a prime Blitz target if he's exposed on any turn. This afternoon I led my Chaos Pact team against a rival Elf team. We each had 2 players with Tackle. Believe me, these players did a majority of the blitzing for my team. (They did quite a bit for him, of course, but only 3 of my players had Dodge, so Tackle was less useful.) So be confident - you have a budding superstar, after all - but don't get carried away. He's only ST4.

-Chet

See my original post Chet: ST 5!!! And, luckily for me, Tackle hasn't been a popular choice in the league, so it shouldn't be a hassle. I'll make him run accompanied by my ST 4, Block Guard hobgoblin, that should help!

Fred

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 - 10:53 AM

SBG wrote:
See my original post Chet: ST 5!!!

Whoops! Sorry. You know how it is: the longer the thread, the less likely you'll remember all the details.

Wow. What a tank. Just take care that he doesn't do ALL the work for your team. Even the stars are only as good as their support groups.

Cheers!

-Chet

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2003 - 01:34 PM

Canada
Good advice! I'll try and remember, as I tend to concentrate my offence on him.

Fred

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic