NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 07, 2024 - 09:49 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Illegal Procedure! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachBlackBearOffline
Post subject: Wardancer approaching new level- which skill should I pick?  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 03:53 AM

I play a newish WE team in a 18 team league, with many teams around 200 for Team Rating. My team has 129 now, but I really like the team. The tricky, and fun, thing is the defense.
Anyway, the team consists of 10 linemen, one wardancer and a treeman. 2RR, 4 FF, 30000 gold, an APO. 3 linemen have dodge, one block. Several are getting close to first skill, 2 their second. As more gold come in, first priority is second wardancer. Then 3rd RR.
But my real question is about my wardancer Galad. He's now 19 SPP, but makes most of my TDs, so I expect him to go up pretty soon. So far, I gave him side step, and the he got +1 AG for agility 5. How should I develop him?

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 05:13 AM

England
Pray for +1S, because that would just make him the most hated player in the league.

Other than that something that would help him do better at what he obviously does well already.

Perhaps strip ball or dauntless for getting that ball carrier.
Sprint or sure feet to give him extra range.
Catch, diving catch, or nerves of steel to make him a better catcher.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 06:01 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Strip ball is probably the highest priority - when he's leaping into the cage on a 2+ you really want that push result to do some good.

On a doubles I'd be tempted by Dauntless or Jump Up.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 06:25 AM

Regular skill: Strip Ball

Doubles: Nerves of Steel or Jump Up

-Chet

CoachBlackBearOffline
Post subject: The Wardancer Galad thanks for the advice  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 09:00 AM

Yes, I dream about +1 to Strength, that'd be marvellous. It seems that most of you favour Nerves of steel for a doubles, and that was what I was thinking too. For the regular I am more... not so sure. I find strip ball would be good, but then I think that isn't that exposing these my finest players to a terrible risk of being beaten to pulp all the time?

Well, the obvious objection to that is would I rather take a TD against me? Which brings us on to the tactics of a Wood Elf team. How should they be played? I have just started to never leave them in position for a regular block, unless I absolutely have to. Unless they accomplish something important by getting beaten, like tying up that player next turn. Does anyone know of where I can read up on this, maybe see a few plays on paper/screen? Like starting positions, key things to try to achieve etc? Would be terrible grateful.

At last, I would like to hear some opinions about skills like pass block, shadowing, pro? Does anyone take Leader?

Well, one really last thing: if a treeman get +1 MV (for movement 3) do they not have to make stand up roll? They would have the same MV as mummies, and they don't, do they?

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 - 10:34 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
IMO Nerves of Steel is a poor choice. You are AG5 so can catch in 1 TZ on a 2 anyway, or just get away from your markers very easily too.

The other big argument against NoS is that it makes your WD even more of a TD hog. You really want to spread those SPPs around - otherwise what do you do when he's knocked out?

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 - 01:54 AM

Normal skill: Strip ball.
Doubles: Dauntless

About the tactics: if you have him, use him. With AG5 don't be afraid to dodge into cages, blitz the ball free and then proceed, if possible, to dodge out. Or alternatively, be sure to score right after the ball is free to prevent them from hitting your WD.

Member #52

CoachBlackBearOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 - 02:20 AM

I have been thinking to start leaping a bit more, now that he'll succed on 2-5, in order to save my dodge RR for the way out?

As for skill, I have imagined that if I do manage to have the ball carrier looose the ball, it may very well fall into a spot with loads of tackle zones on it. Wouldn't it then be a good idea to have Nerves of steel to allow the WD to make the pass nyway? Now that I think of it, it would probably be hard as h... to pick up the ball in such a spot, big chance of failing already there. (by the way, in a pick up ball situation, do enemy players give the -1 modifier to this roll, even if they are themselves in my player tackle zones? In other words, would it help me in such a situation to move my players in to negate them?)

Is Dauntless such a good skill? The only ST4 players with decent AG are Chaos warriors, so is it a common situation that such a player (ST4) will carry the ball? Maybe I should just let such plays end in a TD for the opposition, and instead get Jump up for a doubles roll?

How do you feel about sure feet? Would practically give him MA 10. The way I see it (with limited experience, this is my first season) it would make the WD a very offensive player, but sacrificing his defense/ball-stealing capacity.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 - 03:15 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Emphasise the defensive capabilities of the War Dancer. That's why strip ball & tackle and very useful.

As for S4 ball carriers there are Chaos Warriors, Bull Centaurs and lucky coaches. If your league doesn't have any then Dauntless may be more useful on a line elf or two.

The best alternative is Jump Up - so that you still are very mobile if knocked over. This makes it much harder for your opponent to get away from the WD.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2003 - 06:20 AM

CoachBlackBear wrote:
Is Dauntless such a good skill? The only ST4 players with decent AG are Chaos warriors, so is it a common situation that such a player (ST4) will carry the ball?

Typical Elf coach. Who said he has to have the ball when you hit him? Twisted Evil

-Chet

YavatolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2003 - 11:29 AM

Quote:

At last, I would like to hear some opinions about skills like pass block, shadowing, pro? Does anyone take Leader?

Here are the opinions on those skills from a wood elf coach:

Pass block - excellent skill, I like it very much, on a catcher. Pass block works best when you have more guys with the skill (at least two) so when set up right you can try to intercept every pass into the endzone (or other part of the field, depending on your play). Since you have only wardancer and no catchers I would not take it at this point.

Leader - also a nice skill especially since you have a treeman, but I would give it to a lineman. There are better things you can take on a double. Also the leader needs to be on the pitch. Wardancers are big targets so they do spend quite a lot of tiume of the pitch.

Shadowing - I never had a wardancer with shawowing myself, but they can be very annoying, and with tackle they are even worse. But the wardancer needs to be next to somebody during your oponents turn to make use of this skill and that's a situation I prefer to avoid.

Pro - good for a pass blocker (you can reroll the intercept) and good for a ball-extractor (for those leaps and 1 die blocks) but you need extra skills first.

By the way I would take Strip Ball as well. Your wardancer is in less danger in the middle of the cage as you might think. He has sidestep so you can probably minimize the number of blocks you get against you. The thing about extracting the ball from a cage with a strip ball wardancer is not to over use it. Having strip ball is no reason for your wardancer to jump in every cage he encounters. However, it does give you an extra option and it does put a lot of pressure on your opponent. I have two rules I try to stick to before leaping into a cage. These are: 1 think about where the ball is going to end up. If the chances are very high it will end up in a place you cannot reach or when it is likely to be caught by the opposition: don't do it. 2 always make sure you have a good chance at scoring the same turn. That way your wardancer is safe.
Actually there is also a third rule: cage breaking tends to soak up on TRRs. So try to do it when you have at least 1 and don't do it when you are early in the half.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 25, 2003 - 03:08 PM

Undisclosed
Kick ..no good, lousy wardancers, should all be killed at birth,mutter, mutter.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Ratin_MutantsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 - 12:34 AM

Skills

Strip ball
Tackle
To take control of the situation

Pass Block, to intercept the ball, but should be used on lineelves instead.

Diving tackle. Nasty surprise, but you´ll be open for fouls.

Traits

Jump Up. Evil skill while having Block, dodge, side step, when you get down... your back on your feet in a blink of an eye.

NOS, Nice skill if youo want to leap into the cage and gain control of the ball, but you´ll still need strip ball or tackle.

Dauntless... it is so nice when you hit the big guys and put them to rest with your st3 players.

Leader... no way people will go after the wardancer so he´ll probably end out in the dugout, so you´ll loss your leader Reroll.

Mighty blow, and guard... always nice for elves since they do not have access to these skill normally.

TurfDogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 11:03 PM

I have a wardancer that has just received his second skill upgrade. His first upgrade was stripe ball. I am trying to decide between, Side step, sure feet, and sure hands. Any advice out their for me.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2003 - 11:24 PM

The best skill for an AG5 wardancer is definitely stip ball, especially since pro now requires a double.

On a double, nerves of steel is totally useless on this guy. He never passes, always catches on 2+ anyway, and can't use the skill when picking up the ball. The best options for him on a double are jump up and pro.

Now about your general strategy, there's something seriously wrong that you need to change as soon as possible. DON'T SCORE WITH THE WARDANCER! Everytime you do, you're slowly destroying your team by taking away SPPs from the line-elves. Scoring with your line-elves to get them skills is crucial when playing any elf team. Oh, and don't be afraid to jump into cages. That's what a wardancer is for after all (especially an AG5 wardancer).

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic