NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 02:42 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Make dodges, not blocks. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2004 - 01:17 PM

Nazgit wrote:
      gavrad76 wrote:
A starting roster such as the ones suggested by Zombie or Tutenkarnage seem much better long term...

Zombie's was the same as mine, expect with 1 FG and 1 Were instead of 2 Weres.

Tutenkarnage's roster, IMO, isn't all that good. Only three AG 3 players?!? Seven zombies?!? Shocked I smell Pow

For the record, i proposed that roster in order to stay close to the initial suggestions. I would personnally prefer 2 WW and no FG. But having no experience with either type of player, i reserve further judgement until i've actually tried the team out.

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 06, 2004 - 11:24 AM

United States of America
For a TR100 Tournament I am leaning towards:

2 Flesh Golems_____240k
2 Werewolves______240k
2 Wights__________180k
1 Ghoul___________70k
4 Zombies_________120k
2 Rerolls___________140k
3 FF_______________30k

$1M

EDIT:
Doh! bad math 1FF

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:08 AM

For tourneys, I think the important thing to realise is the strength of the chaos dwarves - good stopping ability combined with the ability to run certain players (in this case, the werewolves) very far in case of a turnover. Necromantics are even better in that respect as they have plenty of AG3 available, and they are faster.
So I might consider the following lineup for TR100:

1 Flesh Golem_____120k
2 Werewolves______240k
2 Wights__________180k
2 Ghoul___________140k
5 Zombies_________150k
2 Rerolls___________140k
3 FF_______________30k

Now, the team would have fairly good stopping power in wights, FG's, and werewolves, and an excellent ball-handling and strike force quartet in the ghouls and the werewolves.

This is, of course, made for tournament environment where lasting injuries are not a concern.

Member #52

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 07:32 AM

United States of America
and if you had a skill to start?

Block on a Flesh Golem? Block on a Werewolf? Hmm...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

howlinggriffonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 05:44 AM

England
I played my first game with my Necromantic team yesterday. What I noted was that the Wights seem to be more dangerous in a starting team than either the Werewolf or Flesh Golem due to the Block skill. The Werewolf and Flesh Goelm spent most of the game on their backs...

Block is definately the first upgrade I'll give to the pair of them.

howlinggriffonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2004 - 04:34 PM

England
Well - the second game is over and my Werewolf and one of the Wights scraped enough SPP's to get to roll on the Star Player Roll Table.

The Werewolf got a skill and I've given him Block to try to stop him getting knocked on his ass when he makes a block or blitz. He's scored all three of my team's touchdowns so far but he's failed to maim anyone. Same goes for the Flesh Golem actually - he's not injured anyone yet (I think he gets off on pushing people around...)

The Wight rolled a double so I think I'm going to give him Dodge to really make him a dangerous blocker - memories of my Amazon blockers are now flooding back to me as those gals are nasty with the Block/Dodge combo.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I can change the choices up until next Tuesday (24th) which is the next match night...

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2004 - 07:11 PM

Pass.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2004 - 07:44 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I would choose the same ones you have listed. Smile

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 05:14 AM

United States of America
I would also choose Dodge. Pass is better suited to a more fragile Ghoul. But regenerating wights will serve you better on the line.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 05:57 AM

On the contrary, i'd much rather have a wight passer than a ghoul passer. Leaves you with more catchers (ghouls get agility skills, wights don't).

Also, losing your thrower can be catastrophic. I'd rather my only thrower have regeneration.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 06:06 AM

United States of America
I see your point, but how many times/game on average will you pass and fail your initial roll as opposed to dodge or avoid being knocked down by having dodge.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 06:15 AM

Dodge is certainly more useful, but you may want to enhance your passing game in the future. If you take a passing skill, make it Accurate, not Pass. Pass gives you a slight advantage in putting the ball on target, and a decent advantage in avoiding fumbles. But it can't be combined with a TRR. If you have Pass, you have a reasonable thrower. If you have Accurate, you have a reasonable thrower. But if you have Accurate and a TRR, you have a very good offensive weapon.

-Chet

howlinggriffonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 06:47 AM

England
I guess it comes down to the type of gameplay I want to use. So far, the Necros seem to be very bashy - I certainly reduced the numbers of the Dark Elf team I was playing last night. If I give the Wight Block I'd be reinforcing the capability of the team as a bashy gamestyle.

Zombie's suggestion of giving him Pass would allow the team to branch out into some semblence of a passing game - the Ghouls and certainly the Were are fast enough for that. I could use the passing game as a backup when playing other bashy teams. I don't think my team threw the ball at all in the two matches they've played so it might be a nice surprise for opponents if I suddenly changed styles halfway through a game.

Hmm... Not sure what to do now!

Oh - while I'm at it, my team now has a whopping 110,000gp to spend. I'm tempted to save it and wait till the end of the next game to get another Flesh Golem. Any alternative suggestions on spending?

Cheers

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 06:57 AM

Quote:
On the contrary, i'd much rather have a wight passer than a ghoul passer. Leaves you with more catchers (ghouls get agility skills, wights don't).

I agree to that.

The werewolf has already catch, so making a wight a passer with two fast receivers in your team makes sense. Especially since the wight can pick up sure hands later (and only has access to Gen skills).

Further, your gouhls may be turned into blodgers with one skill, the weres need two. No need to go for another one with the wight, I would say.

If you want to go another route, give guard to the wight. You only have two, use him as a blocker. Your golems need block first, so it may take a while until they pik up guard.

Quote:
If I give the Wight Block I'd be reinforcing the capability of the team as a bashy gamestyle

Shocked Your wight should already have block. If not, look up the guarantee (about 300 years for a wight with stainless steel armor) and ask your local bodypart dealer!!!! he might dig up something else for you as well. Wink

Sputnik

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2004 - 07:27 AM

Melifaxis wrote:
I see your point, but how many times/game on average will you pass and fail your initial roll as opposed to dodge or avoid being knocked down by having dodge.

Are you saying that one more player with dodge is more useful than having a dedicated thrower? I can't agree with that. You may not pass often in a game, but when you do, it's one of the most crucial actions of the entire game and you'll be glad to have a thrower to do it.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic