NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 02:41 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Eyebrows day-glo rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 01:24 PM

United States of America
I think the Champion should not be influenced by painting or sportsmanship, but most tourneys have another award for Overall player which I think should include both.

IE..the Champion played the Best blood bowl at the tourney and had the best record. But the overall player embodied the spirit of the blood bowl community which is all encompassing which combines ALL the reasons we play this game Smile
Another reason for two day tourneys...the camraderie at a bar/pub drinking beers after a hard day of blood bowl Smile

Reply with quote Back to top
Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 01:28 PM

United States of America
Yes, overall is important I agree. If you at the top in all three, you should be recognized.

I wish I could paint better. Sad

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 03:43 PM

Undisclosed
      Mordredd wrote:
      LouisX wrote:
another thing is that when your opponent leaves you with no other options than dodging 5+,5+,6+,2 dice against you and you make it, he can't complain Wink

Pretty much what happened to me 3 turns from the end of one game at Spikey, whilst going for a draw. Stopped me equalising too. @!#£$* Gutter Runners. Laughing

Seem to remember that one to! Laughing

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject: Re: Stalling turns before scoring  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 05:45 PM

jpeletis wrote:
I gave him the lowest possible sportsmanship points. He didn't violate any rules, but I don't feel it's very good sportsmanship.

For me, it would be unsportsmanlike not to stall. Playing the game without doing everything in your power to win (i.e. holding back) makes for a dull game. The worst insult you could ever throw at me would be to score earlier just to give me a chance to score back. That would automatically get you the lowest sportsmanship score if you played against me, and bare in mind that i've never given the lowest sportsmanship score before.

What you did (i.e. giving him low sportsmanship because he played to win), now THAT'S unsportsmanlike!

Last edited by Zombie on Nov 16, 2004 - 06:19 PM; edited 1 time in total

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: Re: Stalling turns before scoring  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 07:26 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
If you believe your opponent's tactics are ruining your enjoyment of the game then its quite reasonable to give a low sportsmanship score.

TBH if you are that upset you should say to your opponent after the game that his tactics ruined your enjoyment of the game. Winning is not everything. We are playing for fun.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 07:28 PM

Hey, they regularly do this in the CFL/NFL to kill time. It's a legitimate tactic. No deep man? YOUR problem...

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 07:49 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      garth wrote:
It's a legitimate tactic.

I don't think that's the question. I think the question is whether its reasonable to give low sportsmanship scores for it.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:03 PM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:
      garth wrote:
It's a legitimate tactic.

I don't think that's the question. I think the question is whether its reasonable to give low sportsmanship scores for it.

But I think the legitimacy of the tactic does speak to the question of how sportsmanlike it is to do it.

If the tactic is valid and for a good reason, then you should not be able to fault somebody for doing it. For example fouling a wardancer in the first half of a match. You would be stupid to let such an opportunity pass you by! If someone did this to me then I would expect it and not see a problem with his action.

However if the person was doing something that I did not feel was a legitimate tactic, then I would have a problem with it. For example, my casualty box is full, while his is bare and he still continue fouling me. That would suck, and I would like to let him know through a low Sportsmanship score.

So if the tactic is legit, then why penalize? If it is not, then nail 'em to the wall.

Personally, I treat stalling like fouling, I don't like doing it, but sometimes it is really your best strategy and needs to be done. I play to have fun above all else, but I also play to win.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:16 PM

United States of America
Zombie said
      Quote:
What you did (i.e. giving him low sportsmanship because he played to win), not THAT'S unsportsmanlike!

Your opinion, but keep in mind, you cannot give someone low sportsmanship scores for giving someone low sportsmanship scores. That score is based on the how you felt your opponent played the game.

I feel stalling when you have a fast team like wood elves is cheap and a bullshite way to win. I gave him the score I felt matched the way he plays the game. My other three opponents played great and they were all fun and exciting games, I wish I could give all three of them the highest ranking I could, but unfortunately, I had to rank them 1 thru 4.

Also I keep hearing about what NFL football does. Last time I checked we are playing a tabletop board game based loosely on football. Enough with the comparing. Also, after NFL games, teams don't get to rate the sportsmanship of the other team. When you see Orcs and Elves take the field in the NFL, then we can say Blood Bowl and the NFL are really that similar.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:48 PM

Quote:

Also I keep hearing about what NFL football does. Last time I checked we are playing a tabletop board game based loosely on football. Enough with the comparing. Also, after NFL games, teams don't get to rate the sportsmanship of the other team. When you see Orcs and Elves take the field in the NFL, then we can say Blood Bowl and the NFL are really that similar.

jpeletis, aren't you a Bears fan?!? Wink

I don't expect Blood Bowl to accurately recreate football exactly, of course. But why call it a "Fantasy Football" game if you don't use 'real' football as a baseline to understand the board game? Monopoly isn't supposed to be an accurate recreation of the world of real estate speculation, but the 'real' parts of the game help us relate. Personally, I love football. I don't play 40K or any other fantasy game -- I like football so I like Blood Bowl.

It's kinda like using 40K armies to recreate a historical battle, (such as the "Guns of Navarone" assault, even though there were no Eldar or Chaos there!) You use FACT to help you recreate the (fantasy) game. I'm sure Jervis, et al. looked at 'real' football (the North American kind) when they created this game, modified this game, and as they continue to revise it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 08:58 PM

Check out the thread http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=479&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It revisits the 'old' rules (from the 1990 Companion) that make the game MORE like football. No surprise -- I am playtesting a ruleset that works well with the newest edition (if possible). Soooooooooo, you can see why I have a tendancy to compare it to 'real' football...

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 09:21 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I haven't stalled in a tournament yet, but if given the oportunity I would stall if it was for a win, but I would never stall for a draw. It would be a very situational decision and how sure I was that I could stop my opponet from scoring.

As for it bieng sporting, I have no problem with it, it is a valid tactic IMO. As fouling sometimes frowned upon, to me its all part of the game.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2004 - 09:40 PM

United States of America
Oh yeah, I am a big Bears fan! In fact I wish we could freeboot some Ogres on the team!

The main point I want to make is yes, it is a fair and legal tactic to stall. I just personally feel that it doesn't deserve top sportsmanship points to the person doing it, especially with a Wood Elf team. Sportsmanship points are subjective and that is a flaw in tournaments I believe.

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2004 - 04:00 AM

Undisclosed
in my opinion i dont beleive any on feild antics should go towards the sportsmanship score. if you are a sore loser and dont enjoy losing then it is your problen. if you cant handle the fact you are being beaten so you decide to give someone low sportsmanship it is you who is the petty one.

I think it is possible to enjoy a game when your team is being decimated, your opponent is winning 1-0 and is purposefully putting as many players as he can in the injured box.

i think there is no point playing if you are not playing to win, otherwise the game will lack the passion and the energy, and will not be fun anyway.

every game i play i let my opponent know i am out to win, ok if im playing a newbie i will give him a chance, give him advice and let him off with missing the turn counter, but at the end of the day the 2nd game i play against him i will play to win at all costs.

Chrace Chargers

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2004 - 05:48 AM

Canada
      jpeletis wrote:
The main point I want to make is yes, it is a fair and legal tactic to stall. I just personally feel that it doesn't deserve top sportsmanship points to the person doing it...

Okay then, but do you agree that a person should not be given lower sportsmanship scores for it? (I agree that your situation was different as you had to rank the opponents 1st through 4th).

But as DS touched upon earlier, I think that the sportsmanship score should also reflect the person's efforts to make it an effort to have
his opponent enjoy the game. But by the same token, you can not please all of the people all of the time, and sometimes people will get mad just because they are losing.

Come right down to it, in a tournament situation you have to do what you have to do in order to win. If it is a viable tactic, then go for it. Maybe we all just need to do our own mental check when bothered by something during a game and ask ourselves: "Is this really unsportsmanlike, or am I being a sore loser"?

But as for the tournament system being flawed - I think that there are many different ways and styles, that it is just a matter of time before a the best method is realized and a common consensus is established. But IMHO it is no longer fair to include sportsmanship scores in the determination of an overall champion. Too subjective.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic