NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 08:57 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Ask Lord Borak rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LloydOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2003 - 08:09 AM

I played against a norse team that had a minotaur at Cancon and I took full advantage of it. Twisted Evil

It got to the point that I was effectively having twice as many turns as him because the first thing he had to do every second turn was a two dice block my choice.

By the way just in case you where thinking I was using an ogre to cause this evil ploy think again. I was using Dark Elves. Wink

Minotaurs can be fun and useful if the're used in a limited fashion but I think the're bad news for a starting team. Rolling Eyes

Reply with quote Back to top
coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 03:46 AM

Squiggoth wrote:
      Redfang wrote:
The perfect Blitzer, do you really think so...
Wow, why didn't I come up with that...

Well, you could also use him as a cheerleader I guess... Rolling Eyes

First up: don't field a Minotaur as a traditional Blitzer! If he gets surrounded, then you'll never have another turn for the whole drive... HOWEVER, if you leave him back-field when you receive then your opponent gets a nasty surprise when they send their catchers through. After all you should outnumber him on your half of the pitch Smile

Next: After my first game with the Minotaur I was tempted to make him an Assistant Coach. My TR was spiralling and I hadn't figured out how to use him. Kept him in the team and now love him long time!

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 08:56 AM

Redfang wrote:
But back to subject; can anybody who's got experience with using Chaos at Tournaments give me some advice.

I guess not.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 09:04 AM

Redfang wrote:
I think Ogres are dull
They are the big guy everybody who can have big guys takes
They are no fun fluff-wise, they look stupid (more stupid than they are meant to look)
They are allowed to WAAAAAAY too much teams

All true except I kind of like the size and the way some of the 1st/2nd ed ones look.

Redfang wrote:
They are underpriced

Isn't this exactly the kind of loophole you want to take advantage of in a Tournament?

Redfang wrote:
I just don't like them

No problems with this one. Some do, some don't.

Redfang wrote:
Mino's on the other hand are out of control
Stronger than Ogres (Slightly; Horns)
Cool
Good looking Figs
And I got an old Keeper of Secrets model as a mino for my Chaos team, and that model Rocks!!!

I love Minotaurs for the same reasons.

Redfang wrote:
Those are my reasons, but I'll probably end up playing dwarfs again. I'm just a bit affraid to ruin my Coach ranking even more, since I'm not going to take an Ogre, and every other Dwarf team out there does (and there are quite some already)...
Also I like playing with some special figs, as long as they look the part, in it and the Keeper of Secrets certainly makes a better impression than just 1 1st edition Dwarf as a runner.

R

I thought the coach's rating was based on the team also. That's why some people are on the list multiple times. They may be a fantastic Elf coach but a terrible Dwarf coach. That's what I thought the idea was behind it anyway.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2003 - 09:28 AM

One last thing. I've never played in a tournament but I have played hundreds of game. When it comes right down to it, a pure team, no allies/Big Guys, is better as a whole and more reliable. Big Guys will usually cost you a positional player with skills and he has the negative trait. The BG himself may be strong but the team has usually been cut somewhere to make room for him. Identify and take advantage of those deficiencies if you can. Some of this has been negated if you can give a skill each match to a player of your choice. Chaos has no skills and reasonably inexpensive Beastmen but the whole team lacks skills. Re-rolls would be my focus if I were to take Chaos.

It sounds like you want fluff and you want to win. A pure team is sound, fluff-wise, too. I also think they have the better chance of pulling off a win.

RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 02:11 AM

I've already decided to go for an Ogre-less Dwarf team; to hell with my Coach Ranking; at least I'll have a moral victory over two other Dwarf coaches who do take an Ogre.

Just deciding on some minor points now, and then the Grizdal Grizzlies are ready to roll again (probably in the mud, like last time, when I did take an Ogre btw)

R

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 03:32 AM

Mmm... Actually, the number of times I've lost a match thanks to my Ogre goes way above my counting skills. Still, I love Ogres and the fact that they cause more casualties and turnovers to my own team than the opponent's is compensated by those moments when the Ogre catches a scattered ball and goes for a TD or throws a Goblin straight into the End Zone and your opponent has this look on his face as if he just swallowed a squirrel Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 04:43 AM

that's not too amazing, considering that "one" probably is way beyond your counting skill already... Twisted Evil

R

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 06:26 AM

Why you little... I can count at least to, erm... ... ... Both hands! Mr. Green

Martein

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 06:32 AM

Congratulations; now all you need to learn is how to untie your shoes, than you can use your toes to count to twice as much as you can using only your hands! Twisted Evil

R

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
First up: don't field a Minotaur as a traditional Blitzer! If he gets surrounded, then you'll never have another turn for the whole drive...

why not?? If you don't get him up once he is down and surrounded, you can go on as usual Shocked And besides, you would still have every other turn... Wink not that it helps, I know!

Sputnik

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 - 02:31 AM

Ogre do look dumb thats why I converted an Ogrin from 40K. He Looks awesome and won me a best figue prize.

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 - 02:35 AM

One more thing why the hell would you use a Min as a back end blitzer when you already have beastmen??

jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 - 05:08 AM

Squiggoth wrote:
and I make sure to make fun of any Skaven Coach who dares field an Ogre instead of his ratty counterpart.
Martijn

Skaven can't take the Regular Ogre. And I have found WA too limiting for Skaven to play. They are better off not taking a RA.

James

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2003 - 05:31 AM
Da Warboss

England
Although taking an Ogre for a TR100 tourney could potentially allow you to field a ST 4 + 4xST4 front line, it doesn't leave much for beastmen or re-rolls.

C'mon, you've got 4 ST4 players already, who needs another one?!?

NAF #60

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic