NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 10:29 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Why do 2+ dodges fail so often? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Alternate Aged Rule (as detailed on Table Below)
I Like The Idea
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
I Like The Current Rules
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Neither but the Ageing rule needs changing
33%
 33%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 27

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 03:44 AM
Da Warboss

England
Although I agree that aging is needed, I think Chet's league rules are better. TBH I'm surprised to see so many people supporting this, although that's not meant to be detrimental to the idea in any way!

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
Ratin_MutantsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 05:13 AM

We uses the possibility to heal nig. It cost 1d6 + 50K, and the critter has to be left out for 1d3 matches.

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 08:44 AM

The reason I'm actually all for a kind of ageing (although thats a bad word for it - you don't AGE after 2 games of BB!!) is because we had a situation where teams would get to 400, 500, 600+ team ratings (after a LONG LONG time) and NEVER level off. That was bad IMO

Also - that was 3rd ed and a long time ago.

Now with less winnings from matches and our semi-reasonable "wear and tear/peaking" ageing rule, I think we might find a place, say around 350 - 400 where teams just won't get much BETTER. They will still eveolve but not keep getting BETTER.

Also there was the problem of a 300 rated team not playing its rookies who would never get skills because of this. Now I think we have an interesting (and expensive) training rule to hopefully mean that teams can take deaths and retire players without having to immediately field a total rookie.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 09:57 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

My two leagues the MBBL and MBBL2 dropped aging altogether at the start of our new season. My coaches were pretty darn happy about it and I cannot say that I see my league spiralling to new and incredible TR heights.

The tighter Cash table, FF mods, the increased SPP table, and a revised better Handicap table seem to keep both leagues in line pretty well.

Galak

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 11:34 AM

Toronto, ON
We dropped the first roll in our league. Dunno if it will have an effect or not, but the guys are sure a lot happier.

Quote:
Something close to what Wadedidit suggested, perhaps add in some results that give aging a more of a "roleplaying" feel. Some negative personality traits etc.

I'd really like to see something along these lines.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 11:48 AM

The BBRC considered "quirky" bits in 2001 - items like "Bad Back" (roll to stand up), "Bad Hands" (-1 to handle the ball), things like that. After testing this during the summer, we shelved the idea for a few reasons, including these:

1. Each item was individually rare. Remembering which players have which of six different quirks quickly becomes tiring.
2. Some items were rather useless (e.g., "Bad Hands" on a Black Orc). Useless items exist now (e.g., AG -1 on a Black Orc), but they're rare.

The closest I've come with any success is Bonehead, for three reasons:

1. It's a popular mechanic. Many coaches employ Ogres, so everyone understands Bonehead.
2. It universally affects all players.
3. It fits the "max loss of two" clause very well, because a second Bonehead results in a Really Stupid player; further brain trauma is ignored Smile

Mind you, we're incorporated this into our Serious Injury table, a quick-and-easy 2D6 construct that looks like this:

2-7: No effect
8: Bonehead
9: AV -1
10: MA -1
11: AG -1
12: ST -1

No, we don't use niggling injuries; and, yes, we have a smaller percentage of negative effects (by 3 out of 36) than the standard SI table. But niggled players usually play without any effects; in fact, if they're playing, they are by definition unaffected by their "serious" injury. But something's always risky about activating a Bonehead, more AV -1 players result in additional injuries, etc.

-Chet

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic