NAF Logo
leftstar May 28, 2024 - 07:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zara thinks you're cute. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 02:19 AM

I never thought about that, but you're right, you *could* decide to keep him inbounds.

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 03:01 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Mordredd wrote:
      Quote:
Players may only be pushed off the field if there are no eligible empty squares on the field.

Yes, may. It's optional, and only an option when there are no available empty squares. At least by my interpretation anyway. Having said that, I personally have never wasted an opportunity to put 'em in the crowd either.

I disagree. "Players may only ... " This is indicating the only circumstance under which players are eligible to pushed OOB. It does not mean that it is optional.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 07:25 AM

England
It does not make it compulsory either. The only way, IMO, to logically account for having to push into empty squares over OOB is that there is some resistance/barrier to being put in the crowd. I.e. the spectators themselves, or perhaps a small wall or fence between the pitch and stands. This would make OOB equivalent to an occupied square, and the normal rules of push back gives you a choice of which occupied square the defender goes into.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 11:25 AM

Well, don't forget balance - you can't have people flying off the pitch from any adjacent square to the sideline, or the sideline will be off limits!

But Doubleskulls has the grammar down. Whether that was the intent...dunno. But it's certainly a very, very rare situation.

-Chet

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2003 - 10:43 PM

The rules are clear on empty squares - you can't go OOB if there's an empty square to choose.

But when there are no empty squares to choose - do you HAVE TO push the player OOB, or can you choose one of the occupied squares?

The answers here seem to say that there's no "official" interpretation.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2003 - 02:40 AM

There is one official in that there's only one way to read the rules as they're written, i.e. you may opt not to. But there's no official answer in that we can't be sure that this was the intention of the rules, although we'll probably know that as well pretty soon!

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2003 - 02:09 PM

Nah, this didn't make it into this year's Rules Review. You might have an answer next year, however.

-Chet

jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 05:47 PM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Huh .... guess I've never seen it that way.

But I agree with the interpretation. If you REALLY wanted to push the player on the field you could. But as has been said, 98% of coaches would choice to launch him into the crowd.

Galak

I never thought of this before, but I would make my final choice based upon if I thought I could break armor or not. If the armor was low and I had mighty blow or piling on, I think I would take the armor roll so I could get SPP. Otherwise, it's into the crowd. SPP would be the only reason I would not push into crowd.

If I was being nice, I would not throw the block.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic