NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 06:14 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Wood Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 12:29 PM

Even though I do count SPP's, I don't think it slows my game play down at all. I don't sit there and look at my team roster constantly to see who should throw to who or who needs the TD.

But when I set up I will make sure that I put a player in such a position that he will get the ball thrown to him for the TD or that they will rush the offense to get the ball for the TD.

To be honest, I'm not to sure why coaches have problems with other coaches getting a certain player some SPP's. If they haven't set that player up in a position to get the SPP's, then they would be taking a risk to get it to somebody else increasing the chance for a TO. And I don't know about anybody else, but I like it when my opponent turns over to me.

Reply with quote Back to top
SuMOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 05:36 AM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
I'm constantly watching SPP counts...
Like said above tho, it doesn't slow the game at all either...
The way I do it -
I use the Excel SpreadSheet Roster, a simply Highlighter, makes the Player stand out...
- and -
I mark their bases...

With my Amazons, certain colored Bases, mean certain positions...
Gold = Blitzers
Silver Throwers
Red = Catchers
Turquiose = Linewomen

Also-
During the a League Season, I paint dot the back of their bases, Certain Colors means certain Skills... so at a Glance, I know what they have...
Mine scheme:
Gold = "Block", the most important one...
Black = "Guard"
Red = "Catch"
Silver = "Throw"
Notice the are close to the colors of certain positions..

It works for me, it makes my game flow smoothly, instead of pulling my Roster out to figure out what skills a player has...

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 06:36 AM

neoliminal wrote:
No coach says to himself "I need Frank to score a Touch Down, it will make him dodge better."

I hear you, but I don't agree in full. Instead, the coach probably says, "Look, we worked on this all week in practice. Frank's ready to take it to the next level. Let's see how he responds to a game situation."

Players get better by playing and executing during play. You hear this every week in the NFL (or any sport). Heck, it's like this playing music live Smile

-Chet

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 08:13 AM
Former President

England
I've seen coaches use an extra column on their roster sheets (just penciled in on the r/h side) indicating SPPs to go before their next upgrade.
Simple enough, every time you mark down a cas for example, you drop that number by 2. Easy enough, you can tell at a glance, works a treat. (Although nowdays it's 'SPPs to go before he picks up an aging niggle' Smile )

SuMOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 04:58 PM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
Check out our League Sheets, and whatever else you want to look at...http://pub129.ezboard.com/fsegmentumaustralisfrm68.showMessage?topicID=51.topic

We use a Modified Excel Roster SpreadSheet...
On it you will see Kills, our League we get 1 SPP for Kill, added to the CAS, making it 3... But If you look to the Left, there is a column with "NA"...
"NA" = "Next Advance"

Also, in our League we have Old teams and New teams....

jkarrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 11:05 PM

Lancaster, PA
Hey I was going to post that for them. Oh well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
SuMOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 - 03:25 AM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
Sorry, "Commish JKarr"...
You can still comment on the topic... heheeeeeee...

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 - 10:14 AM

Trying to work in the NFL theme, you constantly see the coach calling the plays where they sen the ball to a consistent " Go to guy". I mean look at some of the players in the NFl who have been around forever, <eg brett farve who's been around for so long he's an institution, he's basically the equivalent of a griff>. While if he was hurt he would probably take the packers down with him but luckily he doesn't get hurt very often. While this probably doesn't get you the most balanced team, it will get a by the statistics honest to goodness performing team as long as you don't totally ignore other players. Without a good line a QB is going to struggle to make the plays. Same in BB if you end up with a star one turn GR or WE Catcher, and everyone else is face down on the pitch or in the KO box your more then likely not scoring without a dozen or so dodge rolls and some VERY skillful thinking.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 - 12:01 PM

United States of America
You MUST watch SPP's in league play to win Very Happy

I spread out the points, but allow myself one "big gun"...ended up with 2 last season, but most players had at least one or two skills as well.

I'm itching to get my Necro team on the pitch!

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 - 12:47 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Playing Halflings by PBeM is nice because I have visual access to an incredible "SPP counting tool"

I change the numbers of the players as they develop on my Fling team.

0-9 is for players with 1 to 5 SPPs
10-19 is for my Diving Tackle players
20-29 is for my players with doubles roll skills (Kick, Sure Hands, Dirty Player)
30-39 is for my players with +1 MA or Sure Feet
40-49 is for my players that have earned enough SPPs to get their first skill in the game (so that I don't leave them in TZs and such like fodder)
50-59 is for +1 AG players
60-69 is for players that due to injury need to be retired when money allows
70-79 is for +1 ST players
80-89 is for Big Guys
90-99 is for 0 SPP players.

Using this system with my Halfling teams in the PBeMBBL has made it a heck of a lot easier to play the team and develop them.

Galak

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2003 - 06:25 PM

Netherlands
That's cool Galak!!!

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 06:48 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

neoliminal wrote:
That's cool Galak!!!

Yeah ... it really really helped once I developed the system. I'm getting really close to a 50% win rate with 'Flings in the PBeMBBL and this with a take all challengers approach (ie I've just left my team open and whoever wanted to play me, I'd play).

Currently playing a 25 point TR higher Norse team (with a PoN blitzer ... AV 3 Flings ... Shocked ... run for the hills boys and then boot him when he's down)

By the way, Neo/Acerak ... can I please keep my Ogres ... I've gotten rather attached to the old boys (my one Ogre is up to 29 SPPs after 11 games ... ... tthhhisss close to skill #3). After 2 years of playing Flings, I've already decided to retire from playing the race if all they have is Treemen with off-pitch Take Root ... the team is unplayable even by a pro if they have a 25% of starting a match with no Big Guys ... oh well. I know it too late to save the Ogres, but d*mn they were fun while they lasted.

Galak

ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 08:47 AM

England
Is it just me that thinks that it's fine the Halflings are a hopeless team? Smile

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 09:22 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Well it's cool and characterful that they are a 'very challenging team to win with regularly' as they are Halfings after all!!

On the other hand, if even very talented, dedicated coaches can't get anything near a winning performance then it really does begger the question

"Why would you ever bother to play them?"

It is always a big challenge using the little guy teams (Halfings or Gobbos) but if it is proven without any doubt that F'lings can't hack it then I know it would discourage me... I'd like to think that with good enough coach 'every' team has a chance, it is just easier with some teams.....

224th at The World Cup II

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 09:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Chris wrote:
Is it just me that thinks that it's fine the Halflings are a hopeless team? Smile

I agree that the team should be hopeless, but not completely hopeless ... there is a HUGE difference.

You cannot even write a decent tactics guide for 'Flings with off-pitch Take Root. It would look like this:
First half ... run away until the 2nd half.
Second half ... if you have enough players left use the Halfling Playbook

Yeah that's fun. The Halfling strategy guide in the 2003 Annual had one thing right ... don't ever use off-pitch Take Root Treeman with Halflings. Its one of the few things I agreed with in that article.

Anyway sorry to thread-jack.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic