NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 06:10 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Ribs! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hum, looks like the people who finished 2nd and 3rd went 3-3, and i got 5th place with a 5-1 record. Time to give more points for WINS and fewer for TDs and CAS!

Reply with quote Back to top
CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2004 - 08:01 PM

But don't forget that everyone at the head table also got a 10 point bonus for playing in the championship round. The points for the top positions weren't that far appart. It came down to bonus points mostly as you say. That's pretty much what the points are there for.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 28, 2004 - 09:17 PM

Ten extra points for the final round doesn't even come close to accounting for the fact that people with 3-3 records came ahead of someone with a 5-1 record. And last year i won the whole thing with a pretty poor 3-0-2 (that's two draws for you, Europeans) record but lots of bonuses.

I really think that wins should count more and CAS and TDs should count less. I would give something like 4 bonus points for TDs and 2 for CAS. Those things should be tie breakers, not more important than a team's record!

If you keep the same points system next year, i'll probably bring a bashy team next time around (i'm thinking orc or necromantic). I found out that you just can't get to the top table in your system if you don't get some points for casualties.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Or the other way around you need to score a lot. Which is the point of the game. To score points and win. Anyone can win a game by one point. Yay. Winning by one point simply means you got a couple more lucky die rolls than your opponent as far as I'm concerned. That's why losing by one point is the same value as a tie. You lost sure but not by much. Now winning by 2 or more points means something. You've actually outplayed your opponent. Yes it's possible to have a very lucky game and win by two but more often than not scoring more means you are a better coach as the better coaches can handle the downturns in luck.

I didn't get many casualties but I still got to the top table. In fact I think I usualyy gave the cas bonus to my opponent. I scored more though and won the games with bigger score differences.

You're also skewing the results a little bit though. Round 4 didn't move anyone in the ranks much at all. So saying you won or lost that round doesn't mean much. And that only left 4 other points rounds to get to the championship match. Which meant you had a loss during one of you points matches where as those of us on table one got a loss from the DB round.

I will be changing the points a little for next year though. The 7's round will be worth more. HAd it been worth the half points & bonus points for this year then yes you would have been in the final round. I know I wouldn't have been in the champ round had it been for full points.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 07:44 AM

United States of America
I think the Cas bonus should be changed to 2+ more cas than opponent ....not just 1 more

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 07:52 AM

Yeah you're probably right. It's starting to seem a little too easy to get that CAS bonus.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2004 - 04:05 PM

CyberHare wrote:
Anyone can win a game by one point. Yay. [...] Now winning by 2 or more points means something.

I disagree. As with any real sport, the important thing is not how you won the game, but that in the end you did win it. In the end, winning is all that matters.

CyberHare wrote:
You're also skewing the results a little bit though. Round 4 didn't move anyone in the ranks much at all. So saying you won or lost that round doesn't mean much. And that only left 4 other points rounds to get to the championship match. Which meant you had a loss during one of you points matches where as those of us on table one got a loss from the DB round.

Even if you don't count round 4 (which still cancels your argument about getting 10 extra points for being on table one since i got 10 extra points in round 4 compared to anyone on table one), i still had 4 wins while the 3 guys who finished above me had only 3. I don't think that's right.

And i'm not just saying this because i got screwed this time around, because i also don't think it was right that i won the Death Bowl last year (or that i was in the final 4 in the first place) based on the same argument.

CyberHare wrote:
I will be changing the points a little for next year though. The 7's round will be worth more. HAd it been worth the half points & bonus points for this year then yes you would have been in the final round. I know I wouldn't have been in the champ round had it been for full points.

My problem is not with round 4. My problem is with too many points given for TD and CAS bonuses, and way too few given for actually winning the game. And i still say it makes no sense at all for a loss by 1 to give as many points as a draw. I'm glad to see most other tournaments have moved away from that system already.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2004 - 12:33 PM

Canada
CH,

Any word on the Shadowforge ref from the Deathbowl?

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2004 - 07:59 PM

In the final game, shouldn't SBG be counted as having a 2-1 win? It says 1-0 in the tournaments section, but that's impossible as that would have been a tie against Ben who is also written down as having won 1-0.

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Canada
Final game score was 1-0-0-0, so I don't know how to score this!

Easiest way to calculate your points though is to win the damn ctourney, which I plan to do from now on !

Fred

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2004 - 11:58 AM

United States of America
"The final round of Death Bowl matches will effect your NAF rating in the following manner. In each group of four, the winner and 3rd place player will count as having played a standard game and the 2nd and 4th place players will count as having played a standard game. Determine how each player ranks by touchdowns scored, casualties caused, and finally if the previous two criteria do not determine a ranking, by overall tournament points for the first four rounds of play."

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2004 - 05:52 PM

So one result is wrong. Ben and Cyberhare should count as having a tie, not a win by Ben.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 05:48 AM

Spazzfist wrote:
CH,

Any word on the Shadowforge ref from the Deathbowl?

Spazz

They're in production, or so I've been told. Don't worry I havn't forgotten about them. They'll be in the mail as soon as I get them.

Zombie why are you stressing me out about this?

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 08:14 AM

United States of America
      Zombie wrote:
So one result is wrong. Ben and Cyberhare should count as having a tie, not a win by Ben.

What were the casualties in the match and the points for the first four rounds for each of them? That would give you the answer.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 08:59 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

I'm not sure what scoring system Brian used ... but I thought it was a version of the Underworld/Origin/GenCon/Chaos Cup point system. Bonus points matter in that system ... but not nearly enough to create the effect that Zombie is discussion.

A win by 1 TD and less Cas is either 5 points more or equal to a Tie with more Cas. So unless Brian REALLY changed the point system from what I thought he was using I'm not sure how a 5-1 would be so many points down from a 3-3.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic