NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 07:09 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Get your NAF on. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 - 11:54 AM

Canada
      Lizardcore wrote:
Yeah, and they have T-shirts too for the most TD, the most Cas and the most fouls. Every round, the T-shirts are re-attributed. (well, If you plan to take the tshirt home at the end, you'd better start to lead early, so the T-shirt hasnt been use as sweat-sponge before Wink ).

Wow like the tour de France, awesome!!!

Reply with quote Back to top
GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 - 11:59 AM

United States of America
Instead of T-Shirts, people should be forced to wear crazy hats.

Most casualties? Strap this bucket of goat's blood to your head...

Most touchdowns? Wear this gimp hood, you dirty elf...

etc.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 - 12:05 PM

United States of America
      Lizardcore wrote:
Yeah, and they have T-shirts too for the most TD, the most Cas and the most fouls. Every round, the T-shirts are re-attributed. (well, If you plan to take the tshirt home at the end, you'd better start to lead early, so the T-shirt hasnt been use as sweat-sponge before Wink ).

Sharing dice and tees are 2 very different things..

As far as skill packets. I find it not only an administrative nightmare but on oxymoron when people bitch about things being fair. There is quite a difference between beating someone with 4 skills in your set and 8 skills in your set (well in my case loosing) even if your opponent has the same number of skills.
Take one end of the scale the change in odds when goblins go from 1 diving tackle and 1 other skill (the trolls have the other 2) to dirty player (or 2) and several diving tackles. These are not attack skills and gobos are fine with that. Where a ton of other teams will try to make their positionals blodgers* (for the most part) and no you would not give a goblin block you give him Dirty player.

*granted not every team is the same nor every coach but this will reflect a high percentage of choices)

If you are gonna give them give them right up front. If you want to stagger it do it in reverse to trim the winning team into a test of skill at core levels.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:
      Lizardcore wrote:

Wow like the tour de France, awesome!!!

But not as gay looking.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 - 02:38 PM

United States of America
Skills changing round to round is a pain in the ass. It's going to be someone's only job to monitor that between games.

I'd vote for everything up front, and nothing changes.

Something we are trying at Chaos Cup this year is the printing out of ALL rosters for coaches and their opponents for them. We will print out 2 copies of each before the event, and mark one COACH and mark one OPPONENT. That way the opponent always has a copy for review during games.

Even tho I always state in the rules pack to have multiple copies, it still happens that there will be lazy coaches who don't give their opponent a roster to hold onto for the entire game.

Adding new skills to that mix makes enforcing the fairness of "open rosters for all" even tougher.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 07:39 AM

Canada
      Jonny_P wrote:
Skills changing round to round is a pain in the ass. It's going to be someone's only job to monitor that between games.

I'd vote for everything up front, and nothing changes.

Something we are trying at Chaos Cup this year is the printing out of ALL rosters for coaches and their opponents for them. We will print out 2 copies of each before the event, and mark one COACH and mark one OPPONENT. That way the opponent always has a copy for review during games.

Even tho I always state in the rules pack to have multiple copies, it still happens that there will be lazy coaches who don't give their opponent a roster to hold onto for the entire game.

Adding new skills to that mix makes enforcing the fairness of "open rosters for all" even tougher.

Couldn't agree more!

Rosters staying the same and your opponent having a sheet for their own reference is very valuable. In addition, the roster numbers and players have to match!!!!!!!! I can't say how annoying it is not to be able to easily reference things.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Spain
As far as we are considering to promote a comparable initiative in Europe.

Don't you think will be desirable to share the ruleset in order to have as closer tournaments as possible?

I will like the idea of "brother" continental tournaments with same ruling.

Moreover, maybe all we could discuss with Pippy a fixed ruleset for WC and these tournaments...

What do you think about?

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 08:14 AM

British Columbia, Canada
You guys are talking about creating a European Team Challenge? What's wrong with the one that you already have called NAF World Cup? Wink Trust me Francisco that ain't leaving Europe.

But yeah - similar rules for all such events is not a bad idea provided everyone is on the same page.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Spain
You're right Wink

That is one of the main positive points IMO.

I think if we could set up a number of Continental Team Challenges every 4 years (two years from WC) the NAF WC venue could easier move around the world. Most active players will join one big NAF team challenge every 2 years, and other players that won't travel to other continent will have at least one event every 4 years.

Let's define every ruleset and then put all together and see what we could do to get an homogeneus ruleset. I think is not a major issue for these tournaments attractiveness but will get a better image of NAF team events as a whole.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 08:53 AM

United States of America
      Pako wrote:
As far as we are considering to promote a comparable initiative in Europe.
Don't you think will be desirable to share the ruleset in order to have as closer tournaments as possible?
I will like the idea of "brother" continental tournaments with same ruling.
Moreover, maybe all we could discuss with Pippy a fixed ruleset for WC and these tournaments...

What do you think about?

I don't like this.

Part of the fun of all the tournaments we run here in the US is the variety of special rules and themes each has to make it their own.

Same should go for large Team Tournaments. Make them unique. Make them fun.

Choosing what rules a tournament uses is not up to the NAF. It's up to the TO(s).

Pako wrote:

I think if we could set up a number of Continental Team Challenges every 4 years (two years from WC) the NAF WC venue could easier move around the world. Most active players will join one big NAF team challenge every 2 years, and other players that won't travel to other continent will have at least one event every 4 years.

Let's define every ruleset and then put all together and see what we could do to get an homogeneus ruleset. I think is not a major issue for these tournaments attractiveness but will get a better image of NAF team events as a whole.

Settle down my friend. We need to get one under our belt first, then we'll talk about all this other stuff.

Love the enthusiasm tho!

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 08:54 AM

Canada
      Pako wrote:
You're right Wink

That is one of the main positive points IMO.

I agree on sharing rules if possible.

That is why I suggest for our first event we start with the rules used at the WC II.

I think there are two things right now that we might do differently:
    1) all skills at the start (rosters stay the same for each game) with possibly different ways to obtain the skills (not selection but purchase using the improvements costs.)
    2) more inducements available to purchase

but this is an ongoing discussion.

Another point would be we are planning for 4 player teams rather than the 6 at the WC. This is due to the distribution of coaches geographically in North America, if we were closer together 6 player teams would be the choice.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 09:08 AM

Spain
Agree with this.

I think we could change WCII rules to get something new.

Jonnhy_P: considering that these team tournaments are planed to be in different continents, I guess to make them unique is not an issue. It is not probably at all that someone will assist to all them. I personally prefer to have "the same" team tournament in different places to assure NAF members from different countries will share the same experience. Hopefully, the best situation could be that then they will comment comparable experiences in NAF WC from these continental tournaments.

It is a thought to have NAF members getting closer not regarding the distance.

Let's get in touch.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 - 03:56 PM

United States of America
I agree that they should be of similar formats, but I don't think they need to have exactly the same ruleset and would encourage them not to be. An additional point I would make is that we should definitely not schedule them for the same dates. If things go according to my plan, I would love to see some European teams coming to Las Vegas for a tourney so that they can see how much fun it is. And also personally, I would love to attend a tourney in Spain sometime, it's on my list of countries to go see, and an International Team Challenge in 2013 sounds like a great occasion to do so.

PakoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2012 - 12:26 AM

Spain
I am in fact waiting for this III WC in Las Vegas, mate. Very Happy

To share dates will be a nightmare. But comparable formats will enhance the whole set of tournaments as a world wide event.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Canada
      Pako wrote:
I am in fact waiting for this III WC in Las Vegas, mate. Very Happy

To share dates will be a nightmare. But comparable formats will enhance the whole set of tournaments as a world wide event.

I think that is a great word to use Pako, comparable formats.

not the same but clearly related.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic