NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 09, 2024 - 12:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Goblin team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 01:13 PM

Chet, we've been agreeing too often recently. The apocalipse must be upon us!

Agreed with your second statement by the way. There's gotta be a penalty if you rolled a 1.

Reply with quote Back to top
phinalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 01:51 PM

was also curious about the part where you have to get your vampire to a thrall if they fail their OFAB roll. does the thrall need to be standing or can he be prone or stunned?

i haven't seen this covered anywhere.

also i don't know how many of you have played against vampires but for a starter teams their lack of starting skills makes this team very weak. i spent most of my time standing my guys back up because they were always on their bottoms and the teams poor armour over all meant nearly half the time my team was stunned. to make matters worse the team is fairly slow. with its low armour i was use to a little more movement as a human player, even dwarves were able to keep up with me.

they are an aggrivating team to play with and yet they are somewhat fun in a "'im going to suck your blood" kind of way.

i was thinking about getting the new team but after playing them i have to give it some thought. if the rules get changed a bit i'll probably have another look but with the rules that i got they are a bit bland and boring. anyone know if BB mag 10 has new rules? and if someone already answered i apologize for missing it.

Last edited by phinal on Nov 24, 2003 - 02:00 PM; edited 1 time in total

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 01:53 PM

Undisclosed
@ zeuzism

You are correct that if a player finishes his action standing in the EZ with the ball then it's a TD, but the rules for on-field OFAB expressively states that the vamps action is not over until he feeds on a thrall. So if he runs into the EZ without feeding, it's a turnover, the vamp goes to the reserves box, and the ball scatters from the square he left the pitch.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 01:55 PM

Phinal, if you were playing against dwarves, that explains why your players spent most of their time on their butts!

I've played vampires before. They're pretty weak at first, but a tough nut to crack later on.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 01:56 PM

Undisclosed
If a vamp is stunned he doesn't need to make an OFAB roll.
If he's prone then he does.

@ phinal - remember, the team is meant to be on the weaker side, above the level of gobbos/halflings, but below the rest of the LRB rosters.
Once the vams start skilling up, they can be a very powerful team (just beat a dwarf (TR200+) with a 160 TR team, and the dwarf coach is no mug, believe me.)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:00 PM

He was talking about the thrall, not the vamp. Yes, you can feed on a prone thrall.

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:11 PM

Quote:
There's gotta
... we can agree on that. Smile

But the rules state otherwise: A move action (the action you have to do when you fail OFAB) can end whenever you like, just say it's the end!. All other rules after that fail to apply, because it's between drives and there are no rules written for between drives. The only exception is when you fall over, fail to catch or pick up. Since none of that happenes it is a TD. That simple.

Please let's not get in a discussion about the logic behind the rules, there is none, there has never been. It is a different world and none of the logic aplicable in philosphy aplies to GW. To avoid long and senseless discussions, we (in my leage) have agreed (and that counts for every GW game) that the rules apply as they are gramatically stated. And sometimes that is not how you expect them to be.

I know it is a bit ruleslawyerish, but we do not know a nice and smooth alternative. Because based on logic you get long and as I may say dreadfull discussions. Maybe GW could try to publish the rules in clear bullets accompanied by loads of pictures to clarify instead of stories... But then again, who wants to read that?

Sanne

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:16 PM

Undisclosed
No, you don't make a move action when you fail OFAB, you make a failed OFAB action, which states you must feed before you end you action.

I'm pretty sure thre was a "cleaned up" version of OFAB which expressly prevented this rom happening, but I can't remember if it was posted on TBB or in the BBRC hotlist.

phinalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:16 PM

its just so depressing at the beginning and i saw over at TBB that they just reprinted the last list so i guess i'm not seeing any changes anytime soon.

aside from that can anyone clarify if the vampire has to get to a standing thrall for him to avoid an OFAB turnover? or can the thrall be on the ground?

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:30 PM

zeuzism wrote:
I know it is a bit ruleslawyerish, but we do not know a nice and smooth alternative.

Don't we? Just say that the Vampire has to be adjacent to the Thrall when he rolls a 1 or else he is immediately penalized. None of this running around, dodging, avoding-the-penalty-on-my-way-to-the-end-zone stuff. Just fail the roll and be gone. That's far simpler than the current OFAB description.

-Chet

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 02:42 PM

Undisclosed
The thrall just needs to be on the pitch, so prone/stunned is fine.

I had a game where one of my thralls got the "Ironman" handicap result. Guess who got bitten the most? Laughing

@ Chet - no thanks! Sad

phinalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 04:36 PM

right now i agree with zeuzism as the rules are printed now that's how i'd play with them.

i also agree with chet that it needs to get fixed, as i was playing i didn't think i should have been able to score and ignore OFAB.

don't like the idea of having to always have a thrall next to a vamp. i'd like to see something like if you have an OFAB with a vampire and a thrall is ALREADY next to him he should be able to move after he bites/rolls injury on the thrall. you already would be losing a block from a vampire and you'd also be getting one of your players injured.

benefits of this team are obvious ... vampires are awesome. but for a somewhat newbie player i'm very scared to take them.

i'd also like to say ... wow you guys reply like a million times while i'm replying so when i reply i have to go back and read everything that was posted before i finished typing my reply ... you all are so speedy.

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2003 - 05:27 PM

Quote:

i'd also like to say ... wow you guys reply like a million times while i'm replying so when i reply i have to go back and read everything that was posted before i finished typing my reply ... you all are so speedy.

same here!
Wink
Sanne

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 07:45 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Two things ...

1) A matter of complete frustration for me has been that we cleaned up this wording issue with OFAB months and MONTHS ago which is why Darkson is confused. A fixed wording that solves this problem completely has been on the Hot List for at least 4 months at this point.

2) Despite emails to Andy about this fixed version when they printed the BB Mag with the Vamps, they printed the messed up wording version as a result ... problems still abound. I'm also sure that this created a similar problem in the Rules Review as everyone has the "official" rule and forget the fact that the MBBL has been playing a BBRC written fixed version of the rules for months.

Sigh

For anyone who actually cares what folks who do the playtesting outside one's the rule makers run ... the wording the BBRC gave to the MBBL to test was this (and this is the wording that Darkson is using when he's been posting and it doesn't have any of the issues that you all have been talking about here):

Quote:
A player with this characteristic must occasionally feed on the blood of the living. At the start of any action where the player is not stunned, roll a D6. On a 2+ the player may carry out the action as normal. On a '1', however, the player is overcome with a desire for blood. The player's team loses the declared action for that turn and the player must instead make a Move Action. If the player finishes moving standing adjacent to a Thrall from his own team, immediately roll for unmodified injury on that Thrall (an injury to the Thrall is not a turnover unless he was holding the ball). If the player does not finish moving next to a Thrall from his own team, then he runs into Reserves to find a pretty maiden groupie to quench his thirst. Place him in the reserves box, this is a turnover (if he was holding the ball it scatters once from the final square of his movement.) The Vampire's Move action is not consided ended until he injures a Thrall or runs into Reserves.

Forgive the attitude, but I've grown to the opinion that playtesting and thoughts by the online masses doesn't matter for jack recently so it affects my thoughts on topics like this one.

Galak

zeuzismOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2003 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Galak,
This is a clear answer. I think with this wording you have a lot less to discuss about. I only joined this forum last month, so I'm sorry if I am raking up old discussions here. If I do it again just give me the URL to the relevant discussion and I wil shut up. A clear aswer like the one above also helps...
Thanks again, Sanne

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic