NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 08, 2024 - 11:53 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Collar Bone! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 08:56 PM

I guess i'd have to see it before passing final judgement. But to me, the gaming convension IS a bad point. I'd rather have an all Blood Bowl weekend rather than having half the attendees distracted by other games. For example, another guy you know from Montreal went last year and ended up quiting after the first game. He said it was for the best as it gave him more time to look at all the events out there. That kinda puts me off the whole thing to be honnest.

But i know i'm in the minority. I'm not trying to get it changed, just voicing my opinion here.

Reply with quote Back to top
TimOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 09:55 AM

Germany
Hey Zombie, come to Europe, most tournaments are run outside the Gaming Cons here and most people prefer it like that Wink

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 02:07 PM

GenCon is a beast unto itself. I had a blast at the tournament last year. That said, the second coach I played against dropped out. That wasn't cool, as his points went missing for a while. (To be fair, Tom averaged the other scores to account for missing scores - or maybe he assigned a straight average of available scores, I don't remember - but it's still not cool.)

-Chet

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 07:36 PM

Ok yes coaches dropped out. Almost all the Canadians dropped out in the first day. But, they wouldn't have been there in the first place if it hadn't been Gencon.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 07:41 PM

I'd rather someone not be there then show up and drop out after a game or two. That's not serious.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 08:16 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Bloodbowl bieng the only game I Play I wish there were a way I didn't have to pay to get in the convention but it was worth it in the end. Awesome tournament can't wait till this years. I did manage to find some booths that had some stuff to use on my stadium that will get built someday. I hate to see people drop out early kinda gives me the vibe that they only came to win and if they can't win they don't wanna play. Not really the attitude I take to a tournament but hey.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 08:38 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
For example, another guy you know from Montreal went last year and ended up quiting after the first game.

That same guy (ie Dave Cook) came up to me on the 2nd day and said how horrible the other event he tried to play in was and how much of a schmuck he was for not staying in the BB tournament.

So lesson learned I'd say. I also threw Dave in the Klingon jail for 10 minutes for dropping out of my tournament just to drive home the point ... Laughing

And Zombie ... my tournament would not be as big as it is without GenCon ... no question that's just a very simple fact.

Finally Majortusk ... Andy I'm all for supporting GW and trying to keep interest in my hobby, but they keep doing things that make that very difficult.

Moving the Chaos Cup to November means with my funds I have to choose between Neo's Underworld Cup a long standing 2 day tournament with guys with guys I've played against for a couple years or a one day tournament in Chicago. I'll really try to go to both ... but I already know if I have to choose between the Underworld Cup and the Chaos Cup ... I'm going to Underworld. Sorry its just the truth.

Also ... I doubt many folks will fly over for a one day event. That's going to hurt attendance also.

And guys ... yeah I'm a forceful personality, but do you all honestly get the feeling that GW-US is even trying to support the hobby. I'll advertise the Chaos Cup at GenCon without them asking about it. In fact I'm going to try to print off a list of major US events for folks if I can to hand out.

But I'm not going to not try and run the best tournament I can regardless of any other factors or events. Sorry if my post came off as elitist as both Majortusk and Greggster took offense from my post ... but its more me being upset that GW has 2 years running now set up the Chaos Cup to fail that pushes my buttons and I've seriously tried very very hard to help them and they always tell me "thanks but no thanks". So if I rant against the Chaos Cup its only because I've extended a helping hand many times and I'm down to a thumb and one finger on that hand from the responses I'm getting from GW to my helping hand.

Galak

Tom

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 09:14 AM

Undisclosed
European and American, con v BB only - fascinating contrasts here:

a. the enjoyment for me is the social time before and after - (game time banter and talk aside) - this, and the fact I play only Blood Bowl make cons more of a distraction. Still GenCon was amazing to see and experience;

In organizing the TKC, I've taken extra time to ensure that the time between rounds is taken up (quizzes, prize drawings, shopping discount, etc) and players are not just standing around. Since it looks as if the TKC number will settle around forty, which is about what the Chaos Cup had, it will be interesting to see how coaches feel about the tourney - I don't know of another stand alone NA tourney yet but for Graphix's CharlotteBowl last month (anyone?) so it's a trial effort in some ways...

b. I'm certain I would like the Euro environment better - have a beer afterwards and socialize, but I've met many great people at the tourneys in NA to date, so it is less the game room and rules, and more the personality of the players involved...

c. GW support - hmm, this is tricky, since my experience of support from Fanatic has been extremely positive. GW-US need to somehow (and I've not figured this one out yet...) be convinced that the game is viable and that there are those outside GW - Tom, John, and Greg first among equals - who bring skill and knowledge to creating an smoothly functioning and enjoyable tournament environment. I think our strategy remains two fold: (a) continue to organize and grow indie tournaments, with time and energy given to the development of new players, and stand ready to pick up the ball in the worse case scenario of complete abandonment by GW-US, and (b) continue to work positively with what we are given at Chaos Cup, Gamesdays, etc., and the people involved - I truly believe Tim H., Aaron and the others are not purposefully trying to ruin or shut out the game - they just need to see others enjoying it as we have, or experience it themselves. All we need to do is get one, maybe two real converts from the staff - players who really get what is going on from a tourney perspective, and the general direction of BB - and I think we're in. Advocacy requires patience and lots of honey, and a belief that you are in the right - I sometimes look at the numbers of active NAF members and ask who we represent... (the mix of TBB and NAF participants in the BB should tell us something... mainly that we are still on top of the iceberg and maybe GW is responding to the BB leagues in their shops just as much as they are responding to us... I don't know but there are still good questions and answers out there.

Just my thoughts (sorry for the ramble...)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 09:41 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      Zombie wrote:
For example, another guy you know from Montreal went last year and ended up quiting after the first game.

That same guy (ie Dave Cook) came up to me on the 2nd day and said how horrible the other event he tried to play in was and how much of a schmuck he was for not staying in the BB tournament.

I guess he was too proud to tell me that. He told me that he didn't regret quiting because it allowed him to take some time to look around the place and check out all the cool stuff.

GalakStarscraper wrote:
And Zombie ... my tournament would not be as big as it is without GenCon ... no question that's just a very simple fact.

I don't doubt that. I've already said so. But the fact is that for me, this is a big negative.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 09:44 AM

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:
I don't know of another stand alone NA tourney yet but for Graphix's CharlotteBowl last month (anyone?) so it's a trial effort in some ways...

Come on, have you already forgotten the Death Bowl? I know a tourney organizer who won't be happy!

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 09:48 AM

Undisclosed
Ooops! That IS embarassing... Shocked Embarassed But Brian will remember that I'm just an old, graying, dottering, drooling monkey and chalk it up to Alzheimers or something.... Very Happy

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 10:07 AM

United States of America
ROFL Laughing

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 10:41 AM

Sigh, it's sad to see the old linger on with fading memory. Laughing ROFL

I'll remeber that next weekend when if we face off on TO Twisted Evil There will be no mercy. Very Happy

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 01:15 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
but its more me being upset that GW has 2 years running now set up the Chaos Cup to fail

My biggest concern is that they seem to be trying harder this year then last to cause this tournament to fail. Does anyone have Tims email, I would like to send him my thoughts.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 01:26 PM

Toronto, ON
If I had a choice, I'd host all my tournaments independently. However our situation is just a casualty of tradition really since our original Commish who set up the Orion Cup way back in 98 just happened to be friends with the Orion con organizer.

I also think Europe has a greater history of public space. Over here we don't have the pubs and halls like they do overseas. And if we do find one it's usually freakin' expensive. Cons are a cheap way to run an event with less risk of not breaking even.

Lastly, if you want to see how GW can run a BB event I suggest you come to the Spike! and see Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic