NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 11:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
What are the odds I'd roll another one? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 11:06 AM

United States of America

Play a team of losers! All players equal stats...then you truly don't care how gets the spps. My 14 halflings run around my 2 treemen.and however has the ball and ends up standing by the treeman gets tossed! Once the treemen got block and pro, the rest was fun! I'll try "Diving catch" here because he has "Hail Mary", and he got doubles so, what the hell, he gest "mighty blow" for a good laugh. I've played my Pantry Raiders for two leagues now, over 30 games and the fun I'm having! OK, I have won 1 match (because my opponent didn't turn up), but can anyone imagine the satisfaction of having a halfling with "mighty blow" send Lord Borak to the injuries box?

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 11:11 AM

England
Borak? On a 3 dice block he chooses? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 12:13 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

mosalva wrote:
I've played my Pantry Raiders for two leagues now, over 30 games and the fun I'm having! OK, I have won 1 match (because my opponent didn't turn up)?

A 1-29 record would not be something that I would have fun earning. Yes, I play Flings ... but I'm pretty darn proud of the 5-6 record I've managed with them.

The problem here is that for a year Goblin and Halfling teams have been allowed Ogres. Now those guys are going. Goblins will still have Trolls who are okay substitutes since they show up to hold the line. But Treeman are horrible subs. MA 2 and 50% of your games will be played with 1 the first half and 25% will be played with 0. Expect not much to be left of your AV 6 team ... 1-29 records with off-pitch Take Root ... yeah I believe it. Oh well ... I'm sit and cross my fingers for on-pitch Take Root soon so I can play my Flings again in the PBeMBBL after the 2004 Rules Review I guess.

Galak

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 05:20 PM

United States of America

Quote:

on-pitch Take Root

Ah, can you explain me that? I don't know this rule. Does it mean that the treeman stays in th epitch?

Part of the reason for a 1-29 balance is that out of 12 teams in the league 1 are chaos, 2 orcs, 1 dwarf and 2 norse and 1 undead. Then there's my halflings, 1 human and 3 elves. So the chaos, the dwarf and the undead took a lot of Tackle and a lot of Mighty Blow with the idea that "a game vs halflings = spps GALORE" and it was mostly right. The treemen would get rushed by sacrificial players so I had -4 and -5 modifiers to throw people, the frenzy norse blitzers had a day of fun, dwarves loved the slow cage, etc...so a game with no treemen against these teams usually meant a lot of injuries.

But it's lots of fun when I got lucky and things worked out!

Going back to the main topic started by SuM, I tend to select players and give them one skill, then move onto another one and try and balance out. But is difficult because there are players that almost never get skills, like zombies. In my undead team it is always ghouls and wights that play the game.

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 05:36 PM

United States of America

Quote:

Yes, I play Flings ... but I'm pretty darn proud of the 5-6 record I've managed with them.

Starscraper that is an excellent record with Halflings! You will have to tell me some offensive ideas.

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 05:37 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Sure, to a certain extent you have to watch SPP in a league, but I think it has gone too far when:

a) You have to pause before you score to check which player you are scoring with

b) That horrible 'passing behind your own line for extra experience' thing starts to happen

c) You are more concerned with team developement than enjoying the game or winning

Seems to defeat the point of playing in the first place, well for me anyway...

224th at The World Cup II

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 - 09:06 PM

Quote:
a) You have to pause before you score to check which player you are scoring with

b) That horrible 'passing behind your own line for extra experience' thing starts to happen

c) You are more concerned with team developement than enjoying the game or winning

I agree with a, but I'm of the opinion go ahead and try to give the ball to somebody else. That might result in a turnover where you don't score and give me the opportunity to take advantage of it.

B is the same way, go ahead and toss the ball around. Double 1's and I have the opportunity to get the ball.

I definitely agree with c.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 10:10 AM

England
I can't agree with any of them.

a) What are you on? It's only sensible to make sure the player that will most benefit from scoring is given the ball, when there's a choice. Hmmm. Hand off to the player who's 1-3 SPP from a skill or the player who's 4+ and has scored all the others? Rolling Eyes

b) Don't be such a pussy. Run up there and blitz the fool. And at least if he's passing around in the back field, he's not passing up field to score. Laughing

c) Who says that team development isn't enjoyable? Or part of maintaining a good winning record? Rolling Eyes

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 10:35 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Mordredd wrote:
I can't agree with any of them.

a) What are you on? It's only sensible to make sure the player that will most benefit from scoring is given the ball, when there's a choice. Hmmm. Hand off to the player who's 1-3 SPP from a skill or the player who's 4+ and has scored all the others? Rolling Eyes

b) Don't be such a pussy. Run up there and blitz the fool. And at least if he's passing around in the back field, he's not passing up field to score. Laughing

c) Who says that team development isn't enjoyable? Or part of maintaining a good winning record? Rolling Eyes

a)When theres a choice, sure, but messing around delaying the normal course of the match because of SPP? BORING!

b)Hmm, have you ever seen a Dwarf trying to run? Their fastest player moves at average Human pace Rolling Eyes .

"I???m wasted on cross-country. We Dwarfs are natural sprinters, very dangerous over short distances"

- Hmm, very short on a BB pitch Wink .

And the normal culprite of this is generally Elf teams (ducks the hail of elf outrage Shocked )

c)Building a team IS enjoyable, but not at the detriment of the game you are currently playing. The entire point of developing your team is so they can be more successful when playing, but if you never really just 'kick back and enjoy the match' then what is the point???????

224th at The World Cup II

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 11:28 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'm sorry but IMO Elves need to be picking up those extra SPPs on linemen to get them some skills. You're just jealous because you can't! It only works about half the time anyway, and then you've got a chance to exploit the ball lying on the ground.

Delaying the game while you check your roster isn't really on, however taking an extra turn I don't have a problem with. Another chance to stop you scoring? Great.

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 11:57 AM

I've always had the idea of making a "no lateral pass" rule. So that the ball is either going up the field twards your goal, or farther from your goal. It prevents the side to side game of catch I saw alot in the online leagues. As far as I'm concerned it's an uneccessary delay of game penalty Smile. Take your illegal procedure and a doce roll if it really bothers you. I mean that is why there are house rules. A pass is used to put the ball in a better possition not to make sure skinny elf a and b get a skill every other game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 12:25 PM

Khaine wrote:
I've always had the idea of making a "no lateral pass" rule. So that the ball is either going up the field twards your goal, or farther from your goal. It prevents the side to side game of catch I saw alot in the online leagues. As far as I'm concerned it's an uneccessary delay of game penalty Smile. Take your illegal procedure and a doce roll if it really bothers you. I mean that is why there are house rules. A pass is used to put the ball in a better possition not to make sure skinny elf a and b get a skill every other game.

Er. No Very Happy

When rules start telling me how to lpay the game I'll stop - have you ever seen Liverpool play football - if you had SPPs for passing in that game they'd be great....

Well not so much now... Wink

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 12:25 PM

United States of America

Quote:

I've always had the idea of making a "no lateral pass" rule

I agree. It would be a nice rule to avoid beardedness. I also think it is unfair for some teams with low agility who cannot really afford this "extra spps" strategy because the risk of turnover is big.

Quote:

Delaying the game while you check your roster isn't really on, however taking an extra turn I don't have a problem with. Another chance to stop you scoring? Great.

I think that reducing the time limit would help. I know coaches that turn up for the game, take ages on their turns, then when the game is over they just scribble on their rosters, work out a new TR and go home and that's their experience. On their next game, I ask to see their rosters and I cannot tell player skills because their rosters are scribbled up and full of crosses here and there. And for every move it's "wait, is that the running blitzer with sure feet or the blocking one with guard" and I get fed up of all this pondering and pro-vs-con consideration. I move my players, which player number has what and how the skills I gave them work in relation to the other players. If I win by a margin and there is no chance of my opponent winning or drawing then I will risk a few giving the ball o someone who would not normally score just to try and advance him a bit.

On the other side, I also want to be careful. More SPPs mean more TR, so if the SPPs are too spread out I will have a team with high TR and not that many skills. If I concentrate them in a few players I have a highTR team with well defined objectives for my opponents' Dirty Players and MIghty Blow blitzers... In both cases when playing a team with lower TR I risk having my opponent weaken my team with TR-difference rolls (and it has happened a lot).

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 - 03:03 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

mosalva wrote:
      Quote:

Yes, I play Flings ... but I'm pretty darn proud of the 5-6 record I've managed with them.

Starscraper that is an excellent record with Halflings! You will have to tell me some offensive ideas.

5 wins: Dark Elf, 2 Norse, Chaos, Goblin
6 losses: Wood Elf, 2 High Elf, Skaven, Dark Elf, Lizardmen

Halfling Playbook:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=121253 Page 1
Page 3 of this tread has the on-pitch Take Root proposal

Galak

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 03:06 AM

Elves need more SPPs to remain competetive or their linemen die. Completions aids this. And its 1 SPP for goodness sake.

Why is everything beardy with you people!

ten years of blood bowl and I've never heard anyone claim that before!!!!

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic