NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 01:59 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Pass action..pick up Nobbla... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Canada
Your final standings appear to be off Dwarfrunner, I looked on my laptop but it only has up until the 3rd round on it calculated. Could you send me the results via email please (the excel file).

With 2nd most td's and a decent +/- I believe I finished 3rd overall??? 2-1-1 record? Last we looked at your house that was the case anyway Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2012 - 06:30 PM

Canada
I'm on it Adam, putting in the results now.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2012 - 06:50 PM

Canada
Results are entered now, Daggers Computer is on the blink so I did it. let me know if I got anything wrong.............

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2012 - 07:01 PM

Canada
      jrock56 wrote:
Your final standings appear to be off Dwarfrunner, I looked on my laptop but it only has up until the 3rd round on it calculated. Could you send me the results via email please (the excel file).

With 2nd most td's and a decent +/- I believe I finished 3rd overall??? 2-1-1 record? Last we looked at your house that was the case anyway Very Happy

Nope Daggers is correct.

You finished 6th.
There were 4 people with a 2-1-1 record and both Kevin and Peter had better sportsmanship average than you did! Game play points and sportsmanship are cumulative to determine the final standings.

Gord had a better plus minus than you but same sportsmanship.

That will teach you to give out 1s for sportsmanship Laughing Wink

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2012 - 11:50 PM

Canada
Hey jtb, thanks for the info...the program I have does the same thing but I adjust the sportsmanship points at the end. I think sportsmanship ranking winning a trophy for best sporting is enough. I don't use the sportsmanship points do determine the overall ranking of a player. Basically I dropped in ranking because my opponents were 'nicer' to play against, I don't believe that has anything to do with a players skill level so I remove that part of the equation in determining final standings at my tournies. Just my 2 cents of course.

FYI though...you get 1's for sportsmanship when you are up by 2 td's and go 'balls out' for a one turn td at the end (kinda cheeky) like runnin' up the score. Razz

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Canada
Yeah I understand what you are saying Adam. It is a philosophical debate for sure. There is no sportsmanship trophy at Daggerbowl though so that is probably why. I checked in the rule book for it and it is clearly in there.

I have to say, as a tie breaker (whihc effectively this is) I prefer sportsmanship to +/-
Because when +/- is part of who is the best then absolutely everyone should be trying to get the 5th touchdown when they are up by two.
This "running up the score" thing is a very strange NFL concept. Every other sport is about crushing the opponents on the scoreboard. NFL it is about crushing them on the "clock" and winning by 1pt. I personnally think scoring more TDs is way better and way more fun than running down the clock. But both are very legitimate tactics. Why wouldn't someone want to score 5 TDs in a game? Why not 10 if you can? It is in fact the point. Just like why wouldn't you kill all 11 opposing players if you can?

I would to see us use ELO as the tiebreaker but it is harder to do quickly unless we code it in....

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 07:14 AM

Canada
Sorry Adam, but you did slip down the ranks because of tie-breakers. As Joe mentioned, I have always included sportsmanship in the final standing points, but it was always the average of your games scores. But its enough that any ties can be decided by sportsmanship usually. And yes, running up the score is part of the game. But I do feel enjoying the game is more important that how much you won or killed your opponent by. Infact, I prefer running up the score to people who get the ball and stand on the endzone line for 5 turns to win by 1 TD (as Joe said, time management play vs. outscoring your opponent play). The other thing I haven't included but planned to initially was painting points. But since 90% of the people have fully painted teams when they play, and its never come up in the final top three standings, so I don't bother including it anymore.

Anyways, either way, standings are right. Thank you Joe for inputting the stats, I won't be getting a new computer until I get back from vacation, so if I did it, it would have been afew weeks atleast before I got around to it.

jrock56Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 07:51 AM

Canada
Hey Guys, not disagreeing with the fact that there needs to be tie-breakers to determine the outcome. I just don't agree with including sportsmanship to determine overall standings. ie. (Anyone that ever ties in the standings with Pete or Mr. Chaput is going to finish below them because people find them to be the nicest guys to play) Don't agree with whether you are nice or not determining where you place in a tournament. I know it is in the rules and it is also in the excel programs I have to determine that. After I have calculated who has won the Sportsmanship Award I remove/make equal everyone's sportsmanship so it has no influence in the final standings. The tie breakers currently in place are more than enough to figure out the standings accurately. I'm not concerned about my personal rankings just how I received that ranking (i guess we'll agree to disagree here) Not a big deal was just shocked when I saw 6th instead of 3rd and was wondering how that came about. It is a moot point really, just need to win all my games next time I guess.

@Notorius jtb, for myself personally 'running up the score' & 'clock management' are both fine in my opinion if the game dictates that it is necessary to win the game. I have no problem if someone beats me 5-1 in a game at all, I'll probably be laughing at that point because obviously something has gone ridiculously wrong for that to happen. The problem I would have is if I was winning 5-1 and the other person is already beaten handily, i wouldn't press for a one turn td to make it 6-1. I would take my blocks and call it a day, knowing i had already bested my opponent I wouldn't further stick it to them (my personal opinion/philosophy) Now if the game were tied, or your going for the most td award and it is close then the situation definitely warrants attempting that on your last turn (again, I am of this opinion most likely from playing many competitive sports over the years and it is the 'sporting' thing to do) Some may agree and some may not but it is how I play the game.

Thanks for inputting the stats so quickly man, see you guys soon

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Canada
Interesting topic...probably not the best spot to talk about it......

Will start one concerning it and lets see what the world thinks of it.....

TaxalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Canada
      Quote:

Anyone that ever ties in the standings with Pete or Mr. Chaput is going to finish below them because people find them to be the nicest guys to play

Thanks Adam

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 12:20 PM

Canada
      jrock56 wrote:

The problem I would have is if I was winning 5-1 and the other person is already beaten handily, i wouldn't press for a one turn td to make it 6-1. I would take my blocks and call it a day, knowing i had already bested my opponent I wouldn't further stick it to them (my personal opinion/philosophy)

See that is interesting, and I mean that honestly, you wouldn't try and score but you would try and kill some more players because that is not sticking it to them?

I don't see a difference but clearly you do, which is very interesting.

I agree with Taxal on this not being the place for this discussion so I look forward to seeing where he posts the thread.
Taxal?

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Canada
Found it: http://thenaf.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5534

Oh btw: if there are prizes for most CAS and most TDs is it not completely in the spirit of the game to try and get as many of each as possible?

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Canada
      Notorious_jtb wrote:

Oh btw: if there are prizes for most CAS and most TDs is it not completely in the spirit of the game to try and get as many of each as possible?

Scoring and killing as much as possible is not in the spirit of the game? Uhh, disagree.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Canada
      Dwarfrunner wrote:
      Notorious_jtb wrote:

Scoring and killing as much as possible is not in the spirit of the game? Uhh, disagree.

me too

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2012 - 12:58 PM

United States of America
I'm going to start a tournament where the goal is for nobody to get hurt, and every match to end in a tie. Won't that be fun?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic