NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 10:24 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Norse team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 05:38 AM

England
Hmmm.....Dwarves.....Beards.....Connection..... Mad
No, can't quite work it out. Laughing Wink

Dwarfcoach, I know Dwarves are slow but you can still put pressure on his backfield players. And yes, I have seen them 'run'.

It only takes a few seconds to check your roster. I don't call that delaying the game.

"No lateral pass" is a totally ridiculous idea. It may be necessary to do one to score. Moving the ball quickly from one side of the pitch to the other is a well established way of getting it past slow teams who have defended one side line too strongly. In any case you should be able to pass the ball around however you want.

Reply with quote Back to top
noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 05:47 AM

I agree - and lump the "no lateral pass" idea along with the terrible "must score if you can without rolling dice" lunacy

Wink

Coaches should be able to play the game as they like - If you don't like the way your opponent plays - beat hime up Very Happy (well his team at least)

Besides, going for a completion gives me something to do in turn 8 when I have just conceded a TD Rolling Eyes

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 06:23 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

I think ultimately it all comes down to how you play the game. I have known guys who were the obsessed with SSP counting, but when I played them they had already planed out their game, knew which player needed what and the game rattled along just fine. It only starts to be troublesome when players stop - start - stop just to count SSP. It is an important part of league gaming, but when it starts to interupt gaming and therfore the enjoyment of the game then what is the point?

I agree that the 'no lateral pass' idea is a bit over the top, but I imagine the idea behind it was simply to stop players 'messing around' in their own half. At the end of the day you do not see proffessional players of any sport making plays during a match 'for practice and experience'. That is what SSP is meant to represent, and it simply does not track that you would do this during a match!

I do not have a problem if guys want to do this, but it does seem to become far too important to some players....

224th at The World Cup II

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 07:03 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I've heard other coaches complain about Elves passing behind the lines. I'm sure its just jealousy. I know I'd love to do it with my Orcs.

No lateral pass is, IMO, a bad rule. The other day I passed backwards because the ball was in an exposed position and I could not stop the ball carrier being sacked and losing possession. So he chucked the ball back a couple of squares into the safety of the pocket. Should I be stopped from doing that?

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 08:24 AM

dwarfcoach wrote:
At the end of the day you do not see proffessional players of any sport making plays during a match 'for practice and experience'. That is what SSP is meant to represent, and it simply does not track that you would do this during a match!

Er... You do see a lot of passing backwards in football around the defence just to give people a breather...

But what "SPPs represent" is a bit dodgy anyway - The MVP is random for a start - and in "real life" being awarded the man of the mnatch won't make you a better player!!!!

Its not real life, its blood bowl Wink

And in the end a quick check of your teamsheet will take 5 secs! I often point out that just a 3+ hand off would get guy X a skill for my opponent, in the vague hope he will drop it....

Very Happy

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 08:42 AM
Da Warboss

England
      noodle1978uk wrote:

And in the end a quick check of your teamsheet will take 5 secs! I often point out that just a 3+ hand off would get guy X a skill for my opponent, in the vague hope he will drop it....

A 3+ pass you mean... you don't get SPPs for hand offs...

NAF #60

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 09:15 AM

no I meant a 3+ handoff to guy X who would score instead of the guy with the ball in the vain attempt to get my opponent to fail to score....

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 09:26 AM
Da Warboss

England
ah. that'd be my lunchtime pints getting in the way of reading properly then Smile

NAF #60

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2003 - 11:54 AM

United States of America

On the "Lateral Pass" thing...I remember the experimental rules for the experimental Bretonnians that only allowed them to pass forward. Is that right? I don't think they went very well.

I still think that passing the ball from player to player at the back of your end zone doesn't feel all that right. I suppose it's fine to do it, and a great way for throwers and high agility linemen (minimising turnovers) to gain additional points...even more if developing your tactic takes a few turns (send a few players through enemy lines, test which sides are weaker, make your opponent spread his defense without making it obvious which way you will go...). Still, I find that most of the time the player kept behind near the ball carrier would be best used near the enemy.

Also I believe it benefits more high agility teams. OK AV7 (WE, Sk) or high cost (DE, HE) means that players break easily or are hard to replace so they should have a chance to pick up skills to protect themselves better. But a DE (for example) with block and dodge is tough, tough, tough to knock down when blitzed, foget about blocking him becuase his coach will have succesfully dodged him out of your tackle zone the previous turn.

Having said this, I play DE often and WE occasionally, and have been known to keep my opponet uncertain which way the ball would go whilst my wardancers jumped over the enemy lines, my catchers dodged through or my DE witchelves and blitzers broke gaps ready to run on the next turn.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic