NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 12:14 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That troll is soo stupid rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DarkOrk20Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 06:08 PM

United States of America
@Lizardcore/JonnyP - that was the most reasonable thing I have heard here so far.

Of all the tournaments that I have attended (not a small number either), I don't recall that the ruleset was even up for a discussion. If attending a tourney for you is because you think it has a favorable set of rules then I guess you are missing the point.

I attended both WC and I had a great time. I played like shit for both of them. You can pick through all the players and get whatever stats that you want out of them but I think you will find that it trends with the all the tourney stats if you put them together. There are a lot of teams that will most likely never be competitive at any tourney. It doesn't stop people from playing them. I enjoy attending tourneys to be with similarly minded people and could enjoy going to them and NOT playing any BB.

What the hell is all the squabbling that has been going on here lately? Has the entire NAF turned into a bunch of spoiled kids that aren't getting their way? I don't even bother with coming to this sight except for the tourney listing and maybe a shout to whichever tournament that I may be attending that isn't listed on my favorite BB forum. (Zlurpee, I'm thirsty).

@The organizers for the NATC, run your own tourney the way you want to. I have my team in place already and I think we may have a Vampire, Wood Elf, Orc and a mystery team. Maybe human. I apologize ahead of time if we don't have the Dwarf, Undead, Wood Elf, and Skaven powergaming team. We will still end up in the top 3 for teams. (It could be higher but our team wanted someone to hold them back.)

For the NATC, step up and show us, or just get behind this one and support it. I am looking forward to meeting some of you from the NorthWest area. You will get a chance to see what all the Midwesterners are complaining about.

Reply with quote Back to top
zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 06:40 PM

United States of America
      DarkOrk20 wrote:

I played like shit for both of them.

I can corroborate the WC2 part.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Canada
I kinda agree with Tom. As long as the team building and skills selection isn't totally insane, I don't think it really matters. A good coach will win with any race he chooses. Hell I have played 40+ tournament games with halflngs and am still above .500 with a race that isn't supposed to win. So really, the skills selection won't matter to most of the people. Zootsuit, just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about all the gripeing, everyone will still come and have a great time because it's fun.

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Canada
On another note though, I think skill packages are better than skill purchases, and the 2-0 skill max is not necessarily as balanced as everyone thinks it is. I agree with Lizardcore, that it hampers more teams than it helps. But if you are allowed to buy as many skills as you can, then I can see the logic. But that just proves my point about skill purchases being the problem. Anyways, still coming to the NATC anyways, got my team race picked out, just need three people to go with me.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 08:11 PM

United States of America
      DarkOrk20 wrote:
I have my team in place already and I think we may have a Vampire, Wood Elf, Orc and a mystery team. Maybe human. I apologize ahead of time if we don't have the Dwarf, Undead, Wood Elf, and Skaven powergaming team. We will still end up in the top 3 for teams.

Tom has some great points, but more importantly, look at the shit he's talking! Y'all gonna take that?!

Their team has 2 former Chaos Cup champions, including Tom himself with HUMANS! Yes, he won the Chaos Cup with Humans.

I agree with Dwarfrunner, a good coach can win with any team. Solarflare has won 3 Chaos Cups with different teams (Dark Elf, Lizard, Wood Elf).

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Undisclosed
Obviously I won't be attending the NATC, but can I ask for a clarification?

What (in NA) is a "Progression" tournament, because I'm getting a little confused as I think there's a language difference here.

Over here it's relatively new, and relatively rare, as it's used as a term to describe a tournament that runs using normal BB league rules (i.e. SPPs, skill ups, Injuries and Deaths, Inducements etc). Iirc we only have one i the UK, the Albion Coast Cup, though it's common in Oz.

I'm guessing from reading through the thread it's a tourney were you get a skill (or skills) per game, rather than all upfront, but wanted to check.

Plus it might be helpful to have a common terminology for when (if) NA and Oz make a bid for the WC. If you mean progressive like the Albion, I'd have no interest in playing, even if it was on my doorstep (which in NA terms, the Albion is Wink ).

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 09:28 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
You guys have made Darkork the voice of reason. You should all take that and realize how out of hand this thread is.

poundfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 10:35 PM

Well this got big fast.

I have run a few events now and I find that this sort of discussion precedes a lot of them. People always want to tweak and improve, and some are pretty good at articulating their opinions. I hope no one is taking any of it personally. Since I know some of the louder mouths here, I can assure you there isn't anything behind this discussion, as someone has suggested, apart from a belief that one way is better than another way.

I am personally a big fan of playing in an event or in running an event, but never both at the same time. I think it is best to observe the too many cooks rule and to play the game in front of you. There is enough stress in running an event without having to listen to too much griping beforehand.

All that said, I have played "progressive" (and yes Darkson that means what you guessed, not an SPP-gaining event, which would be hard to manage I think), and I have played in games where skills were all fixed before the first game. Make no mistake, I would never claim that the teams that are generally top-tier are nerfed or especially helped by either option. However I did find that with all the skills up front, the Goblins won a few more games, and we actually saw players fielding Necro and Chaos, without the usual "ah what the hell?" attitude that often comes with fielding a low-skill team.

The general attitude that WC II was a success is a red herring. Of course it was a success; it had 480 coaches and it ran on schedule; the product support was awesome; it was in Amsterdam. You all could have been playing a different game and it would have been a success if those criteria were met. The success of the event didn't rest on the rules set. So I would tone down the "it worked there, and we shouldn't experiment" nonsense and just concentrate on running, or attending, a Blood Bowl event. It will be fun if everyone shows up and plays on time. It will be successful if there are few glitches, or if there are many, they ought to be small ones.

That's all I worry about when it comes to tourneys. I like all the skills up front because more teams can come to the field with serious hopes to win, but no matter what, it comes down to the best of about 8 teams, every time. So let's not get carried away here.

flyingdingleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2012 - 11:58 PM

United States of America

As much as I hate to agree with Tom....I agree with Tom. Just run your own tourney. People are going to show up whatever you do.

I'm likely to be that cockhead playing woodies whatever rules set you do Twisted Evil

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 12:11 AM

United States of America
      flyingdingle wrote:

I'm likely to be that cockhead playing woodies whatever rules set you do Twisted Evil

And I will be the Halfing (or Goblin) player that will pluck your feathers Laughing

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
      flyingdingle wrote:

And I will be the Halfing (or Goblin) player that will pluck your feathers Laughing

Me too. Dingleing is gonna get a beating.....

KhailOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 11:29 AM

United States of America
And here all I thought we were doing is providing constructive criticism. I don't believe anyone was attacked, so and I don't believe any of the arguments got terribly heated - so why is everyone acting like someone put a turd in the punch bowl? Advocating a tweak to the ruleset 11 months before the tournament seems like the correct time to do it to me, especially since it's posted as a ruleset DRAFT.

As has been mentioned, Kavin and I (and the rest of the PNW that can) will come to the tournament either way, progressive or not. We're just trying to help out the organizers with what we perceive as a weakness in the system - based off our hours of discussion and testing. I've met most of the folks behind the NATC team (except SKB, I believe), and you all know I'm not some horrible troll working against the NATC.

Commissioner
Rat City Blood Bowl League
Seattle, WA

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 11:40 AM

United States of America
      Darkson wrote:
Obviously I won't be attending the NATC, but can I ask for a clarification?

And why not? Everyone is welcome at the NATC. I demand a rematch!

Warpstone
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 02:44 PM

SKB, Jeff, is it possible for you to rig early rounds so that clubmates don't face each other? For example, if Thunderbowl sends 2 or more teams down, they don't have to play unless they're vying for top spots?

A large part of the appeal of a tourny like this is playing coaches outside of our region.

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 - 03:12 PM

United States of America
Yes, no guarantees after round 1, but we will do our best to make sure you are matched up with a team from a different region in the first round. If we can manage it, we will have a preference for that in later rounds as well.

Also like the WC, we will most likely have a draw after registration closes, so that you will know ahead of the tournament who your first round opponent is.

Jeff

Warpstone wrote:
SKB, Jeff, is it possible for you to rig early rounds so that clubmates don't face each other? For example, if Thunderbowl sends 2 or more teams down, they don't have to play unless they're vying for top spots?

A large part of the appeal of a tourny like this is playing coaches outside of our region.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic