NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 05, 2024 - 10:42 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Neck! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CervidalOffline
Post subject: Date for East Lansing, MI Tournament  PostPosted: Nov 28, 2003 - 02:03 AM

I didn't get to go back to the Underworld Cup for its second day to discuss potential dates with folks, so here I am trying to do so again.

I'd like to hold a NAF tournament sometime in February/March, and I'm looking to get as large of a turnout as possible in order to make it worth running both on my part and on the part of the local hobby shop owner, Eric. To do so, I need to make sure I get at least sixteen people at $15US a pop. So here's what I need to determine:

1) Amount of interest

If I can assure myself of eight to ten people locally, can I get eight to ten out-of-towners to show up?

2) Price/prize ratio

How big of a prize are folks looking for? If something big and/or prizes for second, third, and best painted are offered, is a price increase viable?

3) Length of tournament

Is a two day tournament more or less likely to attract more people to come to the tournament?

4) Dates of the tournament

East Lansing is a college town and it'll hurt my chanecs of a successful tournament if its run at the same time as a major sporting event, most likely basketball.

So... I'm throwing this out there. Input, please?

Reply with quote Back to top
hoxworthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2003 - 09:20 AM

1 - Keep it near MSU. There were a bunch of guys who played Blood Bowl at Fortress a year ago, as well as a group of guys I got playing in Mason Hall. MSU seems to have a good Games Workshop following, so the closer you keep it to campus, the more likely you'll have a good turnout from those who live in the dorms. I personally might be able to come, but since I live in Maryland now, it could be difficult. Would have to know a definite date.

2 - I doubt too many people are that interested in large prizes. If the price of the prizes raises the price of admission a lot, people will just bail out.

3 - I don't know, but probably, especially for out-of-town'ers. Normally I only commit multiple days for a large convention, not for a single tournament.

4 - Run it in late March, to avoid the basketball season. MSU will probably have fallen apart by then, anyway.

Go State!

CervidalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2003 - 12:12 PM

I heard about the Mason Hall group. I was bummed that I heard abou y'all after the fact. There's a large group playing at the Fortress once again, using the OBL's website.

The tournament is being held at the Fortress, that's about the only constant in all of this.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2003 - 03:03 PM

Toronto, ON
The Canadian Open is in late February, you might want to steer clear of that weekend.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic