NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 08:20 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
New coach needed for Chaos All-Stars. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: My Skaven team name.  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2003 - 11:03 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
I do not expect much replies from this post, but it would be nice to have some. Here goes... Do you all think that the name I have chosen for my Skaven team is a good one? Or do you think it is bad?

My Skaven team name is the "Blighted Bloodshed Bandits"

My 2nd part to the question is.... Do you think for the above team name that, yellow armour & purple loin clothes make a good combo?

Again I understand that most of you will regard this post as rubbish, but I do look forward to hearing the replies of most of you, mostly those who are on here alot, (like Zombie, Galek, TutenKarnage, Anthony Watts ect ect ect) & whoever else!

Thanks again.......

-Rod-

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

Reply with quote Back to top
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 01:50 AM
Da Warboss

England
I think the colour scheme is good, yellow and purple, provided they are not incredibly bright - keep them toned down and "darker".

The name is fine though. I generally try to use one that is a "Warhammered" version of a real city, like my human team the Neuberg Magpies (Neu-New, Berg-Castle, aka Newcastle Magpies, my football team Smile)

My Norse team is Dynamo Kislev. Each to his own though, there's nothing at all wrong with that name.

NAF #60

Zombie
Post subject: Re: My Skaven team name.  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 02:04 AM

BB_Bandits wrote:
(like Zombie, Galek, TutenKarnage, Anthony Watts ect

Nice to see my name mentioned first! It means that my opinion, at least with respect to you, does count for something. Just for that, it's worth answering! Cool

I'm not big on painting, so i won't comment on the color. There are people who know 10 times better about that than i do.

About the name. It's not bad. Personally, i think it's too long though. I usually try to go for something that's one or two words max. Something easy to remember as well. After reading your team's name many times, i still don't remember what it is. Maybe simpler might be better. You could remove the 2nd word for instance.

But what the heck, it's just a name anyway. It doesn't matter all that much. Just pick something you like, it's all that really matters!

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 05:19 AM

England
I'm not sure that Zombie is right that name is too long. We have plenty of teams with long names that I have no problem with (e.g. Death by Chocolate). My problem with it is that it doesn't exactly role off the tongue. You need something that is easier to say and remember. A tongue twister of a team name is IMO, a bit of a mistake.

As for the colour, I think it will work fine (for Skaven). I also think you could get away with using bright yellow, a darker more orange yellow, or a dirtier pussy yellow. Whichever takes your fancy. You should select the purple to contrast with the first two (bright yellow-dark purple, dark yellow-light purple) but it's really up to you which one to go with for the dirty yellow (I think dark or light purple will both go equally well).

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 05:26 AM
Da Warboss

England
I kinda agree with Zombie on this one - although team names are totally subjective I generally try to keep them in the context of BB and the trend to name them after places or themes (e.g. Reikland Reavers or Nurgle's Rotters).

When picking a name, I try to think "Would it be appropriate if this team happened to win the BB?". Because of this, I never name teams "Indigo's Annihilators" or something like that, preferring to keep them in the BB world. My trouble with this name is it's too generic - team creation and naming is one place where you can flesh out your team in terms of fluff. Although team names like Death by Chocolate annoy me, I accept the fact that some people prefer to choose what I think are daft names. At the end of the day it's not important, but I just can't see JJ & AH being happy about writing "Death by Chocolate won the 2004 BB". Smile

NAF #60

Last edited by Indigo on Dec 02, 2003 - 07:29 AM; edited 1 time in total

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 06:38 AM

England
Death by C' was just an example of a longish name that is easy to say and remember. I.e. each time you tell your opponent what your team is called his reply is not along the lines of "Er, sorry. Can you spell that please?" or "I didn't quite catch that one mate".

It's a Necromantic team by the way...

All the players named after, er, chocolates...

OK, it is rather silly, but that's fine in a league setting. I agree that it would be truly crap to have such a ridiculously named team win the BB, and it would annoy me intensely if the team that did win wasn't given a proper 'BB world' name too.

Oh, and GF?

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 07:28 AM
Da Warboss

England
never mind, it was a lame joke I've subsequently edited out Embarassed

NAF #60

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 10:33 AM

It's bad enough the "Flatlined Annihilators" won the Blood Bowl. Oy, what a name.

Regarding the "Blighted Bloodshed Bandits," I believe that...

1. It's too long.
2. It has no "source" (i.e., city, area).
3. It doesn't really fit Skaven.

Last point first: "Bandits" steal. They hold you up and take what's yours. Skaven...well, they're sneaky, but they're assassins, not thieves like Goblins. "Blighted" fits rather well, mind you. "Bloodshed"...well, I think you could do without this. Maybe work it into the name in another fashion.

This name has no source. Why does that matter? Because you can conjure a lot imagery with an evocative name. Anthony's "Plague City Pestilence" works well as an example. You can just imagine what Plague City would be like, can't you? Right - very icky. Same with the "Reikland Reavers" or the "Skavenblight Scramblers." Hitting closer to home, a friend once named his Skaven team the "Blood Creek Bombers." They played the long ball (hence "bombers") and came from a small Skaven backwater known as "Blood Creek." You can imagine what that place is like even though I'm not telling you much about it. (In fact, that's a good literary device - let the reader's mind do a lot of the work.)

Finally, I think the name is just a bit too long. Six syllables? Hmm. Try four or five. Working with your selected theme you might try "Blight Hill Bandits" or "Bloodsbane Blighters." You get the idea.

Regardless, make sure that you're happy with your team's name. At the end of the day, that's all that counts.

Cheers!

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 10:54 AM

I agree with Chet, i also thought that Bloodshed and Bandits didn't fit skaven well, but couldn't quite put my finger on it.

ElanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 02:39 PM

Australia
I think you can call you team whatever you like, as long as it is appropriate, short and catchy. I do like using place names from warhammer (and similar) as they are evocative, but ...

My own Orc team is simply called "Brute F'Orcs" - self explanatory and no one has ever asked me to spell that one. Orc

My only suggestion for the rat name would be to loose the alliteration as it does twist the tongue. Smile

ElanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 02, 2003 - 02:40 PM

Australia
I think you can call you team whatever you like, as long as it is appropriate, short and catchy. I do like using place names from warhammer (and similar) as they are evocative, but ...

My own Orc team is simply called "Brute F'Orcs" - self explanatory and no one has ever asked me to spell that one. Orc

My only suggestion for the rat name would be to loose the alliteration as it does twist the tongue. Smile

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: thanks  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 09:16 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Thanks for all your input, I orriginally had the team name as just the Bloodshed Bandits. But added Blighted to the beginning of it, to make it sound more Skaven. I do agree it is a tad long (guess i just needed to hear some of you confirm it.).

Ii'm gonna work on a new team name asap.

But I think you will like my Halfling team (it is long, but funny)

"Happy Valley Berry-Boys"

-Rod-

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 09:27 AM
Da Warboss

England
that's a good name, if slightly camp Razz
althought that's probably the point

NAF #60

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 10:34 AM

England
And sounds like a team that'll go squish. Laughing

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 04, 2003 - 10:40 AM

United States of America
Good name.

My Halflings are "The Lucky Charmers". With players named Kieth Yellowmoon, Ringo Orangestar, "Mean" Joe Greenclover....

Only problem I've found is, I continually have to come up with new player names as they are often unlucky and pounded into the turf Smile .

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic