NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 08:29 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Get your NAF on. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DarkAngelOffline
Post subject: new Halfling coach  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 07:59 PM

Hey all! this is my first post...
Just starting playing Blood Bowl recently and decided if I was going to lose all the time, I might as well have fun. What better team to lose with than Halflings?
Well, that didn't work out the way I planned. The "Mighty Taters" are 8-0! Is this a fluke or are the Halflings actually a competitive team?

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 08:42 PM

Halflings are actually a competitive team in the low team rating bracket (say, up to 120 or 130). At that stage, they can beat anyone. It's after that point that they start to lose, because other teams improve while halflings have nothing to spend money on and no good skill to use their SPPs for.

But still, 8-0? Are you playing against monkeys or 5 year olds?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 08:45 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Several questions first:

1) Ogres or Treemen
1a) If Ogres, does your league roll Bonehead to go from stunned to prone or standup?
1b) If Treemen, does your league use the LRB rules for Take Root or an onpitch varient

2) Does your league use a house rule that passes only fumble on a natural 1 (even TTM plays)? IE range does not effect fumbles.

3) What handicapping system does your league use? LRB table, or MVPs and Cards

4) Were you allowed to pick your opponents or is your league scheduled?

5) Did you get an AG 4 Haflling quickly or at all in your team development?

6) Did you league allow you to purchase the Master Chef or did you need to freeboot him for 50k a game?

7) Are you normally the best player in your league?

The answers to these questions will very much help me tell you if there are any special reasons here.

Galak

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: These Questions....  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 09:16 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
These Questions & Many Others Will Be Answered On Next Week's Eppisode Of SOAP!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry I just couldn't resist!

Man I bet I'm showing my age with that TV show referance!

Sorry bout my interuption, carry on.

Rod

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

DarkAngelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 10:24 PM

oops, sorry. we're 8-2. Two of my rematches wen't horribly wrong for me, hehe.
Ok, let me see...
1) I use Treemen, 1 at first and another about 6 games into the season. I've been very lucky with my Take Root rolls. yes we use the rules that on 1-3 they don't arrive until halftime.

2) and nope, my Treemen fumble often! I've only ever sucessfully passed a Halfling once but it did win me a game against some Dwarfs.

3)we use the latest edition (4th?) for handicapping

4) opponents were chosen because we didn't have a full league at the time. In January our official league begins with 16 teams and schedules in advance.

5) I was lucky enough to get an AG 4 Halfling after game 6 and another after game 10. the former being my only sucessfully hurled stunty!

6)Yes they did allow me a Master Chef, but believe me, they won't make that mistake again! Stealing up to 3 rerolls was just too much. I believe there are alternate (or official) rules that allow 1 reroll with a an ability to buy more? I think thats what we're using next..

7)Actually, these games are some of the first I've ever played! Currently, I think I'm tied for second with a Khemri team.

right now, my roster is maxed out with 13 Halflings, two Treemen, and a Human thrower ally. Most of my extra cash goes towards replacing casualties, hehe.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 10:37 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
Human thrower ally.

What other house rules are you using and what kind of a role does the human play on your team. If he is the main componet of your offense as I think he would be then this may be a key to your success especially with 2 AG4 halflings to compliment him.

But whatever your house rules and how I feel about them it doesn't matter if you guys are having fun. Hope you can turn the losing streak around. Good Luck.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 05, 2003 - 11:41 PM

DarkAngel wrote:
and a Human thrower ally. Most of my extra cash goes towards replacing casualties, hehe.

That explains it all. Allies greatly unbalance the game, especially on stunty teams where nobody can normally get general skills, and even more so if you allow position players as allies. Stunties should never be given access to a thrower. The poor little bastards throw a quick pass at 4+ and fumble a short pass on a 1-2, and it should stay that way.

You should strongly discourage the fellow coaches in your league from allowing allies next season. There's a reason why they're not permitted in the official rules!

DarkAngelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 07:05 AM

actually, I wanted to get rid of allies myself because I do believe they "dilute" the flavor of a team.
The Khemri team on our league lost three straight and then picked up a Gutter Runner ally. He hasn't lost since and that damn rat has 16 TDs
Only two of us have allies anyway, so I wouldn't miss him too much.

DarkAngelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 08:08 AM

We also have house rules for customized stadiums. Each stadium has about three special features such as soft turf or bad officials, their own kick-off and weather tables.
We're pretty much playtesting them now, but they seen pretty balanced so far.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 10:47 AM

I've seen those stadium rules on the net before. They seemed pretty unbalanced to me.

DarkAngelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 05:27 PM

well, we made these stadiums up ourselves so I'm not sure how they compare to the ones you saw...

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 05:54 PM

One of the features i considered most unbalancing was some sort of long grass on it that gave -1 to all injury rolls. If your "soft turf" is nothing like this, then it may be better.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 09:30 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie69 wrote:
I've seen those stadium rules on the net before. They seemed pretty unbalanced to me.

Purchased stadiums are by nature unbalanced. Its why they are gone from the MBBL2 after using them for a couple seasons.

However Neo/JKL's rules for having the stadium determined by the gate roll only ... now that looked like fun .... cannot add it to the MBBL2 because it was unfairly slanted toward cold based teams for the MBBL2, but I am working on adding those rules as an option to the PBeM tool as the REBBL has wanted to use them.

If its purely random Zombie ... I think even you would agree that would be okay.

Galak

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 09:33 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

DarkAngel wrote:
right now, my roster is maxed out with 13 Halflings, two Treemen, and a Human thrower ally. Most of my extra cash goes towards replacing casualties, hehe.

Oh okay ... a Human Thrower, and a purchased Master Chef explain it all to me. Both of these are changes from the LRB rules that really do go a very long way to explain your success.

Galak

DarkAngelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2003 - 11:39 PM

I understand and agree that both allies and the current Master chef are unbalancing. And yes, our stadiums are somewhat geared towards their "home" team. But, I'd like to think my coaching might have a little to do with it too...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic