NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 04:13 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
No sir, this isn't my Death-Roller. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject: What're the advantages & disadvantages of Lizardmen?  PostPosted: Jan 22, 2004 - 03:25 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Hi,

It may easily have escaped your notice but I am currently converting a Lizardman team. http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1158

I was wondering what you think are the advantages & disadvantages of these scaly boys. So what I'd like to know is what you think is good/bad about the team and any other tactics you can offer. I plan to use them in a tourney, so league play (whilst interesting) is not really the kind of advice I'm after. Any ideas...? Wink

224th at The World Cup II

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 22, 2004 - 05:55 PM

United States of America
Get 5-6 Sauruses...even without block you will have two blocking dice more often than not.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 04:47 AM

England
A team of 6 Saurus and 5/6 Skinks finished top in the league table at the last BB.

Saurus:
Strengths. They are fast, strong and have high AV. Excellent for putting on the line and bashing away, or blitzing. There are enough of them to cover the entire front line, so you don't have to expose those Skinks to the opposition.
Weaknesses. Very low AG. If your opponent is happy to put linemen next to each Saurus they will be effectively pinned there until they at least stun the guy. If you run out of Skinks they will make pretty lousy ball carriers. Unskilled, so Both Down Both Down will become the bane of your life.

Skinks:
Strengths. Very fast and stunty makes them excellent ball carriers, and allows you to easily switch your attack or defence from one side of the pitch to the other.
Weaknesses. They go SPLAT! rather easily, low ST, AV and stunty. They have no access to general skills so no sure hands. You may find you burn up all your RRs on picking up the ball.

Tactics:
Defence. Put up a wall of Saurus, with the Skinks waiting behind. Use the Skinks to run through the line to steal the ball if the Saurus knock it loose, or simply provide assists. Remember that 2-3 Skinks can easily mob a lone catcher.

Offence. Concentrate your Saurus and force your way up field with the ball carrying Skink in the middle. When you're 8 squares out make a whole for him to run through to score.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 06:46 PM

Lizardmen are a very special team. It's a team of extremes, with 2 types of players that are the complete opposite of one another. It's such an extreme team that it doesn't even have any player with ST3! This team is very strong for an experienced coach, but sucks in the hands of a newbie.

Unless you've played at least 4 or 5 other races before, i'd advise against playing lizardmen.

As for tactics, the most important thing to look out for is positional play. Your skinks are too weak to blitz (unless ganging up) and the saurii are easily tied up with AG1. So make sure to position your players right because otherwise it will be tough to get back into position.

ShoggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 11:15 PM

I think Zombie put it pretty well, the Lizardmen are a pretty special team. They are my first (and only!) team, and it's been alot of fun playing with them, but it can get pretty frustrating, too. The two units being so polar, it makes them very inflexible.

Basically, you have one unit that can hit, and one unit that can carry the ball (but not throw or catch well!), but no units that can do both. Which means that if you find yourself in a position where the only guy near the ball is a saurus or the only guy in position to blitz a runner about to score is a single skink, then you are in serious trouble. I think that alot of the skill involved in playing Lizardmen involves never putting yourself in that position. Don't get me wrong, I've won games by intercepting the ball and running it in with a Saurus, and vice versa, but you've gotta roll sixes to make that happen, so....

And I do use up all my rerolls fixing bad block rolls with my Saurus's and rerolling pickups on my Skinks.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die"--That means you, Mummy! Get in the dead box!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic