NAF Logo
leftstar May 28, 2024 - 02:27 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tooter Booter rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject: Pulling your punches  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:50 AM

OK I have 2 games tommorrow night against a new Dark Elf Player. Team rating about 115. I have a Khemri Team that currently has a team rating at 198.

I did not want to play this player but they are a part of my League and I have to get in 2 games with her. There is nothing wrong with her or her team I just fear that my 4 Mummy line is going to really mess her up and Kill/Maim numerous of her players.

I played a equal Dark Elf Player a couple of Weeks ago and put 4 Serious injuries on them and killed a 5th. I did not mind doing that to him because he has played the game much longer and had a more even team.

So the question I have is:

Can I pull my punches on her players?

Meaning if I get a KILL or Seriously injured result I can pull it down to Badly. This is so my man still gets SPPs and all it does to her player is knock it out for the rest of the game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have all ready decided I would not be playing a normal game. I would actually go for a passing/scoring game then the normal knock everything out and score with only two players left on the field. I actually can do this do to some of the skeletons I have.

Skeleteon 1 44 SPPs Has Catch, Str 4, Ag3 (Best player I got so far)
Blitz ra w\ Move 7, Block, Dodge
Throw ra w\Surehands, Pass, ACcurate, Strong Arm

3 Sketons w\Guard

Reply with quote Back to top
Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 11:54 AM

THe whole thing is she is a new player and I do not want to discourage her by wiping the floor with her. however with my team I have to knock most her players out to score. My team can not score worth squat however I arverage 7 Injuries a came. I have only played 10 games and have over 40 Casualties on my roster. Each mummy has about 10 each.

1 thing is I have 1 mummy will be missing next game. Dang kid napping card. Smile

mtn_bikeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 12:29 PM

The only things I can think of is use mighty blow on the AV roll no matter what. If you don't want to hurt her players make less blocks and take the push back opposed to the knock downs. Tell her your trying a new stratigty(sp?) if she asks. I don't know women but I think it's odd you want to do this. This may discurage her if you play her differently then the rest of the coaches. I know some formats that this could be considered cheating and could get one removed.

My advice for you though is to play the way you normally would. That may teach her new tactics, rules and a better playing style for her next match. Let new players learn from example.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 12:57 PM

United States of America
Play her fair. Crush her.

Twisted Evil

But, make it a tutorial, be a gentleman, a sportsman, and explain that the huge difference in TR is causing it to be an unbalanced game. Talk to her about the development of her team, and talk to your commissioner about parity and ways to enhance it for new teams.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Canada
There must be a system to avoid teams with with 83 TR difference to play each other, don't you think ? I don't see any good in this match-up...

Mel has it right though: make it a tutorial game.

Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 01:14 PM

I guess the big problem is this is a small league and they have 3 new teams. The others are Chaos and Humans. I will just play her like I normally would CRUSH HER. I just feel bad about the huse TR difference and the fact she is a new player. I will probably end up making more passes then I normally would to.

Thanks everyone.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 01:15 PM

Melifaxis wrote:
Play her fair. Crush her.

Twisted Evil

But, make it a tutorial, be a gentleman, a sportsman, and explain that the huge difference in TR is causing it to be an unbalanced game. Talk to her about the development of her team, and talk to your commissioner about parity and ways to enhance it for new teams.

exactly, pulling punches never tought anyone anything. Just don't gloat when you win easily or make fun of your opponent when he makes a stupid mistake (I mean don't act like an asshole). Like a few other people have said, make it a tutorial, try to keep it fun. And besides, it's bloodbowl, anything can happen! Maybe you'll loose.
I have noticed though that most blood bowl coaches (at least every single one I've met) are great sports, sadly the same thing can not be said about warhammer generals.
Gloating is perfectly acceptable of course when trouncing one of your mates. Wink

Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 01:29 PM

Well that is one thing. I have only won once in the 10 games I have played in this league. And that was a forfiet because he did not have 3 players left to put on the line. Smile

Everyone beats me at scoring however you can plan on at least 3 people missing the next game and having Nigglings, We are bruisers, played a ORK player just the other day and Killed a Black orc and put a OGRE, Black Orc, Thrower and a lineman out next game. With only loosing 1 man. In 10 games I have a GRAND TOTAL of 4 Touchdowns. 2 against a human player listed above were I won by putting most of his team in the hospital. When that ended he still had more ponits then me. 3 Touchdowns to 2.

She will probably win but will be short a lot of players next game. Smile Which will be against me. Playing 2 back to back. Tommorrow night.

Thanks again for the tips.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 07:53 PM

Taking a kill down to a badly hurt is illegal. You can't do that, the game doesn't allow it. If you want to take it soft, don't use the mighty blow skill on your mummies. You don't have to use a skill, it says it clearly in the rules.

You said you had to play 2 games against her, but does it have to be now? It might be better to wait until the end of the season so that she can build her team a bit and has a few reserve. That is, if your league allows it of course. If it doesn't, talk to your commish about it.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2004 - 07:55 PM

Mr.Magoo wrote:
Well that is one thing. I have only won once in the 10 games I have played in this league. And that was a forfiet because he did not have 3 players left to put on the line. Smile

You may not know this, so i'll tell you just in case. It's not an automatic forfeit. The player has the option of forfeiting (without penalties i believe), but he can keep on playing if he wants to. Then you still have to score more TDs than him if you want to win.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2004 - 04:17 AM

Undisclosed
Now that you've said all that, watch those skulls and 1's roll in, and watch those poor innocent DE's put a beating on your players. Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2004 - 07:28 AM

LOL, Thanks Zombie I did not think about the not using Mighty blow skill. That would help a lot. Thanks

Mr.MagooOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2004 - 08:49 AM

Outcome:

Well I played her last night and I really did not need to be nice. Smile

First off Like I said 1 of my mummies was missing the game do to being kiddnapped in the previous game. This just means he missed the game he got kiddnapped in and the next game, which was the game I player het last night.

2nd I have 1 mummy that has a Niggling. Guess what I rolled a 1. So I started the game short 2 mummies. No biggy.

From there it turned into a free for all. Lots of Cas on both sides but lucky only 1 death(went through) and 2 serious.

First turn I killed her best player however she Apothacaried it. Good thing

She then turned around and killed a lowly skeleton that i had just bought. NO skills no SPPs. regeneration roll = 1. Bummer

Then she badly hurt a Blitz-Ra Then she seriously hurt the other Blitz-Ra. YES FAILED BOTH REGEN ROLLS. At this point I was thinking that is the most useless skill.

I badly hurt 2 Lineman.
Each scored once

This was all done during the first half. Smile

2nd Half I knocked out 2 Witches and she knocked out a 2 skeletons.

Niether had scored and not a whole lot was happening. I was kind of being light on her not making every hit possible and I performed NO fouls the entire game. Even though I did GET THE REF.

Then in turn 8 of the Second half 2 Skeletons pull a manuver I have never seen before. A successfull pass from halfway down field and a run for the Goal... miracle that he could do that. Smile

Her turn of turn 8 We set up. She wandered why we even bothered because she had NO chance of scoring and I told her she had the possiblities of making CAS and Completed passes for the SPPs. Well she turned around and Ganged my BEST PLAYER.
Skeleton.45 SPPs 6 Comp 4 TD 10 CAS 2 MVP
Str Increase, Agility Increase, Catch.

Knocked him down ROLL 6 and 6 to break armour. NO biggy she broke armour probably just stun him. NO SHE HAD to roll 6 and 6 again. THAT is when I turned around and rolled a 6 to save his butt. Dang I love Regenerate. Smile

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2004 - 10:30 AM

She could have scored on the last turn. Push a witch elves a few squares by blocking your players and make it to the end zone. I guess you didn't know that and that's why you didn't tell her. Otherwise that was not very sporty of you!

What was your best player doing anywhere near her players with only a turn to go? He should have been 2 squares away from your own end zone to keep him out of harm's way.

I would have fouled every turn had i gotten the ref. Especially with two mummies out.

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 26, 2004 - 10:37 AM

Undisclosed
Well Mr M, seems your worries were largely unfounded - nice match recap BTW...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic