NAF Logo
leftstar May 28, 2024 - 01:36 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
12 men on the pitch? You've just been Egged! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject: Dark Elf Starting line-up  PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 05:20 AM

I'm probably taking my dark elves to Blood Bowl and it is really difficult to pick a starting line up from 1,000,000gc

what I've done in the past is 2 blitzers, 1 thrower, 1 witch elf, 7 linemen, 2 rerolls and FF 2 (I think that adds up)

are there any other alternatives? (other than swapping a blitzer for a WE and having FF of 1)

I could loose the thrower, but even though I normaly play a quick running game having a passer is useful (and access to some extra skills), but is my high agl enough?

having such expensive players does limit what I can do

any ideas?

Reply with quote Back to top
RonnieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 07:33 AM

well ive facing two dark elf teams in my league, and one of them had a good start in round 1!!!!!

thier line is

4x blitzers
1x thrower
6x lineman
1 re-roll
4x fanfactor

i think thats it im not too sure about the single re-roll but it works for him........he beat an ork team 4-1 soooo, i think he will do well in the league, it looks promising

Best Performance Bloodbowl 2006
Worst Performance Spikey 2004

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 11:57 AM

For the Blood Bowl FF is of little use (relative to a league). In an expensive side like the DEs, I suggest you don't want to waste even one point of FF.

Have you considered:

4 Blitzers
7 Linelves
2 Re-rolls
1 Fan Factor

This is quite a hard side, all AV8 and 4 guys with block.

An obvious variant on this would be:

1Witchelf
2 Blitzers
1 Thrower
7 Linelves
2 Re-rolls
1 Fan Factor

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 12:38 PM

Compared to blitzers, witch elves have -1AV and two extra skills, for only 10k extra. If you ask me, that's quite a bargain! I'd max out on witch elves long before i would on blitzers.

I'd take this:
2 witch elves
1 blitzer
8 line-elves
2 RR
2 FF

I'd like to have a thrower, but i can't afford it without losing the only blitzer or a reroll. The blitzer is crucial. Give him leap and use him as a wardancer. Of course, both witch elves should get block first.

The only alternative for me would be to lose a reroll. It has the advantage of providing you with more than 1 potential wardancer, but at the cost of making them less reliable with fewer rerolls. I like the first roster better.

2 witch elves
3 blitzers
8 line-elves
1 RR
1 FF

The last alternative would be to drop a reroll and buy an apothecary with the money saved. This is definitely the roster i'd use if apothecaries were allowed. Your cheapest players cost 70k, and your best players are 110k with AV7. An apothecary is definitely a good purchase for a team like this.

2 witch elves
1 blitzer
8 line-elves
1 RR
2 FF
1 apothecary

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 01:54 PM

Having played dark elves for 8 years I'll just throw in my 2 cts. With dark elves what you need is defensive power, offensive power you have plenty with AG 4 across the board. Blitzers are top notch defensive (allround really) players. They have great mobilty and have a above average punch.
That said, your blitzers are the guys you are going to need more than your witch elves. Blitzers are great for knocking the ball loose. You can't do this with witch elves because :
1) they don't start with block (can be given later tough)
2) they have frenzy making them bad for "get the ball carrier" blitzes

I would start out with only one witch elf, because of dodge she makes a real good ball carrier against some teams. Also don't take a thrower unless you have 20000 to spare somewhere. He isn't essential, dark elves do a pretty good running game against most teams too. IMO 20000 for just the pass skill and access to passing skills is rather much.

the earlier proposed:
1Witchelf
2 Blitzers
1 Thrower
7 Linelves
2 Re-rolls
1 Fan Factor

seems pretty good, too bad you're short 10000 gps (over here tourneys always are 1100000, which is better for DE I think) to turn the thrower into another blitzer. Swapping the witch elf and the thrower for 2 blitzers is something worth considering tough.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 04:25 PM

TuernRedvenom wrote:

How is that? I can't see any case where it would work against you when trying to get the ball carrier, but many cases where it would be a great asset.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 05:17 PM

The first poster talked about "the Blood Bowl," so my response is geared toward a tournament setting that allows Star Players.

Before settling on the number of Witches and Blitzers you'll take with you, consider Horkon Heartripper. He comes with Dodge, Leap, and Shadowing, not to mention that dagger. So you already have your Wardancer wannabe - a player who can leap into cages, knock the ball loose, and shadow those MA 5 and MA 6 types that seem so popular at tourney time. On the minus side:

1. His price (120K)
2. Leap (burns re-rolls)

But he's worth a look. Horkon is a great neutralizer, especially against low-AV players who are tough to take down otherwise.

You'll have to decide whether to run with one re-roll or two. I think I'd opt for one, go as heavy as possible on Dodge and Block, and count on those skills to bail me out of most situations.

Roster #1 (with Horkon)
Horkon Heartripper (120K)
2 Witch Elves (220K)
1 Blitzer (100K)
7 Linemen (490K)
1 TRR (50K)
2 FF (20K)

Roster #2 (without Horkon)
2 Witches (220K)
2 Blitzers (200K)
1 Thrower (90K)
6 Linemen (420K)
1 TRR (50K)
2 FF (20K)

Roster #3 (also no Horkon)
2 Witches (220K)
3 Blitzers (300K)
6 Linemen (420K)
1 TRR (50K)
1 FF (10K)

If you're taking Dark Elves to the tourney, you're already conceding a difficult task. Play it to the hilt! Don't play conservatively, because this isn't a team type that can survive conservative play in a conservative environment.

I'd take Horkon or the 3 Blitzers. But I'd play very, very hard and very, very fast.

Good luck!

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 06:11 PM

You're right, at 120k, Horkon is a must! But i thought they were increasing star player prices at the next Blood Bowl? Maybe i heard wrong...

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 04:57 AM

Zombie wrote:
      TuernRedvenom wrote:

How is that? I can't see any case where it would work against you when trying to get the ball carrier, but many cases where it would be a great asset.

Because you have to follow up due to frenzy. Not really worrying about the "2 dice against" blocks (with block the chances of going down are small) but more about getting cought up in places you don't want to be. Usually ball carriers are surrounded by a lot of tackle zones.
Plus it takes two skills to make a witch elf into a good defensive player: first block and then strip ball. You can give the blitzer strip ball on the first skill.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 05:06 AM

Even with two dice against, i'd be glad to get another go at the ball carrier as any of those blocks can win the game outright. But if you don't want the second block, it's easy to work around since we're talking blitz here. Just make sure that the first block is made with your last movement point.

ST3 frenzy can work against you when blocking if you're not careful, but not when blitzing.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 06:19 AM

Zombie wrote:
You're right, at 120k, Horkon is a must! But i thought they were increasing star player prices at the next Blood Bowl? Maybe i heard wrong...

I don't know if they're increasing the prices next year. If they adopt Tom's GenCon system, then Horkon's price will remain unchanged because he has a weapon.

-Chet

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the input. this team is for the Bloodbowl in Nottingham in May

I haddn't concidered taking more than 2 blitzers in a starting lineup, I like witchelves but they do seem to attract injuries

got some things to think about now, thanks

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 08:59 AM

Zombie wrote:
Even with two dice against, i'd be glad to get another go at the ball carrier as any of those blocks can win the game outright. But if you don't want the second block, it's easy to work around since we're talking blitz here. Just make sure that the first block is made with your last movement point.

ST3 frenzy can work against you when blocking if you're not careful, but not when blitzing.

Like I said, blocking with 2 dice against you isn't the problem, forced following up is a problem. And that you need 2 skills to make a witch into a defensive player. And that AV8 <-> 7 is a huge difference.
And I am well aware of the trick of using your MA to avoid frenzy but sometimes you want (or need) a move-block-move action.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 12:42 PM

I'm sorry, i didn't understand your point at first. I thought you meant moving the second square was a problem. You're right, forced follow up can indeed be a problem, regardless of the second block. I'd still rather have someone with frenzy to blitz a ball carrier, but i can understand why you wouldn't. For me, getting the ball loose is more important than the survival of the witch elf.

As for the skills she needs, i strongly believe in the need for either dodge or leap for a good ball extractor. This means that the blitzer needs two skills as well. I also believe that frenzy can compensate for not having strip ball, because you get two chances to pop it loose. Personally, i never even give strip ball to a player with frenzy. I feel it's a waste of a skill.

Oh, and i'd rather have blodge and AV7 than block and AV8. Amazons don't get hurt very often, for this very reason.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 01:48 PM

Zombie wrote:
Personally, i never even give strip ball to a player with frenzy. I feel it's a waste of a skill.

I disagree. It's often a good way to push the opposing player away from the ball after you've knocked it out of his hands, assuming that you used Strip Ball to pry it loose on the first block. This generally results in one less TZ on the ball when you try to pick it up.

-Chet

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic