NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 07:07 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff fancies Zara! Heard it from Varag..... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject: Hand Off vs. Quick Pass  PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 07:58 AM

Hey all,

I already posted this on TBB, but I thougth I'd post it here to get more opinions. So, for those on both boards, sorry for the double post. Cool

We ran into an interesting situation in our game last night. A human player had possession of the ball, but with only one turn in the match, was not going to be able to score. His catcher had the ball, and wated to pass it to the other catcher to get SPP's. Now, the other catcher was in the square adjacent to his first catcher, and he assumed that would make it a quick pass. As league commissioner, I ruled that it would not be a quick pass, but rather a hand off, as that's only a one square pass. However, looking through the rules, we couldn't find anything that said one way or the other. So, I'm curious what everyone else here says about this situation.

Chris

Reply with quote Back to top
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 08:21 AM

What you're trying to do is stop milking the rules for star player points. There isn't a rule against making a pass when standing right next to each other. In fact if they mistakenly declared it their pass action instead of a handoff it could be a hinderance in a game situation as they would have to make two rolls instead of one. If you're going to make rules against this type of behavior, you might as well outlaw fouling on the last turn of the game.

Your intentions are good, but too many house rules can quickly become a problem in and of themselves.

-Oscar Wilde

GrotemuisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 08:22 AM

Netherlands
It's very dumb but you can throw the ball when you're adjacent to each other.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 08:31 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

There is nothing wrong with a Quick Pass to an adjacent player.

My Halflings team does this as frequently we used the handoff in the back field to move the ball forward. I move adjacent so that if it is inaccurate or the catcher drops it ... its more likely to scatter to someone who might catch it or have an extra TZ on it.

Sorry, but what he did was perfectly legal.

Galak

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 08:58 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Sorry, but what he did was perfectly legal.

Galak

No need to be sorry, that's why I posted this here. Smile

I wasn't actually trying to stop him from getting SPP's (I didnt mind that part, and neither did the coach he was playing), I just didnt' think that you should be able to make a one square pass. That's what a hand-off is. I mean, would you really make a pass to someone right next to you? When the rules didn't say the minimum distance of a pass, I made a ruling. I just wondered what other people thought of here, so I'm not offended by people with different opinions. Hell, I might even change my mind on my ruling if people can convince me. Smile

Chris

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 09:01 AM
Da Warboss

England
I know why you think it's wrong, but it is a legal move. It has parallels with real life - imagine a quarterback being handed the ball then making a really short pass to a team mate if under pressure (for example).

I use this approach all the time in leagues, to get extra SPPs, but in tournies it is hand offs unless I cannot avoid it.

NAF #60

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 09:17 AM

Actually, the best NFL example is the "Shovel Pass." It is used mostly when the defence is expecting a passing play and doesn't rush up the middle. The QB takes a 3 step drop and flips the ball forward to the HB. It's technically a forward pass, but is a designed play that rarely goes more than 2 yards in the air.

-Oscar Wilde

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 12:40 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
It's OK by me

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 03:14 PM

skummy wrote:
Actually, the best NFL example is the "Shovel Pass." It is used mostly when the defence is expecting a passing play and doesn't rush up the middle. The QB takes a 3 step drop and flips the ball forward to the HB. It's technically a forward pass, but is a designed play that rarely goes more than 2 yards in the air.

Hmmm... a Shovel Pass. I hadn't thought of that one. I guess it's kind of like a Dump Off. That makes sense.

I may just have to change me ruling. Now, before and of you go and say if I do that I should give him his SPP, it's a moot point anyway. In this particular example, his first catcher had the ball because his thrower had passed it to him, so he already used his pass action for the turn. It just brought up an interesting point, and one that I felt needed a ruling on.

Thanks, guys!

Chris

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 - 07:23 PM

Undisclosed
You also have to look at it the other way. If the hand off had happened earlier in the turn, and the 2 players ended up adjacent for whatever reason (TZ, etc) would you say "No, you can't pass as you are adjacent, and you've already used for hand-off, Tough Luck?". No, neither would I.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

CervidalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 05:40 AM

I do the same as the guy looking for the SPPs often, even in the middle of a game. If I have formed my pass pocket well, I will try to get in the extra SPP. It ends up being a fairly low risk attempt because if I fumble, I still have the ball protected; if I fail to catch the ball, I have possibly two players with tackle zones on the ball.

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 08:38 AM

Darkson wrote:
You also have to look at it the other way. If the hand off had happened earlier in the turn, and the 2 players ended up adjacent for whatever reason (TZ, etc) would you say "No, you can't pass as you are adjacent, and you've already used for hand-off, Tough Luck?". No, neither would I.

Question I'm not sure I understand this comment. A hand-off is not a pass action, it's a hand-off action. And as far as I know of, you get no SPP's for a hand-off. What I was saying earlier is that he couldn't have made the adjaent square pass, as he had already passed. He could have handed-off the ball if he wanted to, that's a different story. If I misunderstood your comment, my apologies.

Chris

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 08:40 AM

I think he means that you can only make one hand off a turn. If you make a handoff to a player, and have them run downfield on a declared pass, dodge into an adjacent tackle zone and not be able to make the pass becasue they are standing next to the player they want to give the ball to, that would be bad.

-Oscar Wilde

BlanchPrezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 12:50 PM

skummy wrote:
I think he means that you can only make one hand off a turn. If you make a handoff to a player, and have them run downfield on a declared pass, dodge into an adjacent tackle zone and not be able to make the pass becasue they are standing next to the player they want to give the ball to, that would be bad.

Oh! Yeah, that's something else I hadn't thought of. I'll defintly have to give this more thought. That's what I love about the BB community, everyone here is more than willing to give their opinion on why you're wrong. Wink

Seriously, I appreciate all the answers to this topic, it's nice to see what other coaches thing of these kinds of things.

Chris

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 02:02 PM

Undisclosed
Skummy, thanks for explaining my point better than I did Embarassed

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic