NAF Logo
leftstar Sep 27, 2024 - 08:22 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Ankle! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
skummyOffline
Post subject: Election Problem:  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 02:39 PM

I just received a form letter in my email from one of the candidates for the NAF elections, who happens to be a NAF officer. It included a link to the presidential voting section. While it did not solicit my vote, it did include this particular candidate's name, and an exhortion to "go vote".

Big problem with this is my email address is not public information.

So one of the people up for the nomination is soliciting votes using information gained by his position.

Am I missing something here, or is there any other way I could have received this form letter?

-Oscar Wilde

Reply with quote Back to top
CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:05 PM

If you are referring to me Skummy please don't make it sound like I'm begging for votes. I have been directing every single member I can get in touch with directly into the debate first and foremost. Here is the exact letter that I have been sending. If it's a problem to actually let people know an election is going on then I'm not sure what the point of this all is.

Quote:
I don't know if you've heard but there is currently an election going on to find a new NAF president. It's an important election for the NAF and the first time we are electing a president. The new president will decide the direction the NAF takes in the next 2 years. I'm one of the candidates so I'm contacting the members in my region to let everyone know that an election is taking place. We held a debate to discuss each of the candidates platforms. If you'd like to read that you can log in then paste this link into your browser.

http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2237

Or if you'd like to go straight to voting you can paste in the link below.

http://www.bloodbowl.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2261

It's going to be a close vote so every vote is going to count in this one. The last day to vote is on the 12th of April so please come by before that. If you have any trouble logging in let me know and I'll sort it out.

Thanks,

You are the only person who has complained and in fact I've recieved many notes of thanks for letting them know the election is actually taking place. Is this a private or a public election?

As for my name being on the email. Should I be sending out annonymous spam?

Oh and by the way Skummy. Your email address can be found by anyone who glides their mouse over the "email" button under your name. Just so you know.

EmberbreezeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:18 PM

Good job in trying to get people to vote, but IMO you have used your position to get your name in the voters mind.

Nothing wrong with canvasing for votes, but using restricted information sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Hag Graef Dragons Tournament Record 22:9:14 NAF Record 18:7:11
Silvania Suckers Tournament Record 8:2:11 NAF Record 5:2:11

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:24 PM

Restricted information? Did I miss the memo that gave me access to the NAF server? Smile I don't have any access to the membership database. I know a lot of email addresses. This is a crime or restricted? Am I really the only candidate that went through his email book and emailed the people in there letting them know an election is going on? If so what have the other candidates been doing? I'd like to see the emails the other candidates have been sending out.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:24 PM

United States of America
It's good that membership know there's an election going on.

I seriously doubt that brian's name would influence a prudent voter. There is a topic for stating your platform. currently we aren't even at 10% of voting membership. If the president would've pm'd everyone or done something similar it would've been better, but since there is non-action on that part then this is good enough.

also this is no different that political candidates hitting the party trail telling people to get out and vote.

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:29 PM

An odd part of that e-mail is the part that says " so I'm contacting the members in my region".

What is "your region" and why arn't you doing it "globally"?

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Toronto, ON
Just for the record, Brian doesn't have access to any special information. In fact none of us can directly access the database that holds the votes, except probably Christer.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:32 PM

Longfang wrote:
What is "your region" and why arn't you doing it "globally"?

Tell you what. Give me the database and I'll email all 2300 members one by one without my name letting them know an election is going on. It should only take about 4 weeks Rolling Eyes

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Ok but where does region come into this? And why only your region?

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:41 PM

United States of America
      CyberHare wrote:

Tell you what. Give me the database and I'll email all 2300 members one by one without my name letting them know an election is going on. It should only take about 4 weeks Rolling Eyes

if that's what it takes to get standard turnout of 30% for de mocratic elections

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 03:46 PM

Longfang if you were the least bit impartial I'd bat this around with you but you've been hounding me since day one about this election. Shall I submit a letter to you for approval before I send it out? If so I'd very much like the other candidates to submit any emails they've been sending out for approval as well Wink

I've been breaking my back trying to get the word out that an election is going on. I ask for a mass mail and the answer is no. I post something at HR and I'm accused of propoganda. Now I try contacting people on my email list and that's a crime. Please tell me what the problem is with letting people know this election is going on? There is not even a 10% voter turnout.

My "region" just so you'll be at peace IS the globe. As I said give me every email address and I'll gladly email them all!

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 04:04 PM

"Hounding" Question Where do you get that idea from?

Quote:
Shall I submit a letter to you for approval before I send it out?

A bit of an over reaction B.

And how the heck can your region be "the globe". Smile About as funny as 3 "Vice" presidents. Laughing

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 04:10 PM

Longfang wrote:
"Hounding" Question Where do you get that idea from??

From your posts on the HR site and...

Longfang wrote:
And how the heck can your region be "the globe". Smile About as funny as 3 "Vice" presidents. Laughing

Stuff like this.

I'd be very interested to hear from you my good sir if you have been telling people to go into the debate. Were the people at the recent tournament in France all given the details of how to find the debate?

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Seeing as I don't communicate with anyone unless it's regarding figs or painting the answer is "not a soul". And seeing as I wasn't in France at the weekend I wouldn't know what went on. If you know something B please tell, I love to hear gossip.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Smile No gossip. Just wondering if the pot was trying to call the kettle black Wink

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic