NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 07:19 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
In Roze-El we trust. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject: Trading in Leagues  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 05:41 PM

I don't think this is a rules question, per se, but I felt the topic fit better here than the general talk forum. I know that the LRB says trading money and players between teams is perfectly acceptable and I'd like to try that out. I've recently been given leadership of my store's BB League and we've never had trading before.

I'd like to know if anyone here has played in leagues with trading and can offer me suggestions for houserules or controls on it. I don't think any of my players are cheaters, really, but if they could trade one stock Chaos Beastman for some other kid's two Wardancers, they wouldn't hesitate.

I've already decided that I will personally approve any trades offered in the league, but if anyone has other input, I'd love to hear it, thanks! Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 09:40 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Trading between diffrent races will make a big mess of the league. IMO

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2005 - 10:23 PM

Canada
Yea, I ran a league with trading back in the days when you could have allies, and in the 3 years the leauge ran for, there was 1 trade (Skaven Thrower with 75 SPPs for a Skaven Thrower with 6 SPPs and Big Hand, I really wanted a big hand Smile

My rule was that you had to follow the ally rules. Ie, no trading a beastman for 1 wardancer, let alone 2.

Its a cool concept, especially if you're into sports where these kind of things happen all the time, but in a game where you have multiple races, and you have to play on your races team, it doesn't work out as well unless you have a lot of teams, with alot of variety.

I definatly wouldn't bring in the ally rules, they made alot of teams overpowering. If you really want them, then maybe limit them to 1 or 2 allied players per team. I'd also enforce some kind of good/evil rules for them as well. A Skaven Team doesn't need a Wood Elf Catcher, while Dwarfs don't need a Black Orc.

We did allow loans of money from one team to another. I had to approve them, but we played pretty cut throat and I put it in the rules that the team recieving the money didn't necessarally have to return it. Cut throats they were, just about everyone lived up to their bargans though.

I'd be interested to see what an all-human blood bowl league would be like where you could trade between teams. It'd be interesting to see the strategies, as you can easily adapt the humans to many different playbooks. I'm just not sure how well you could do to convince everyone to play the same race Smile

(Oh, I just remembered, there was another trade made after we instituted an experimental "farm" team system for some of our larger teams (back in the pre-ageing days, if you want an idea of how old this league was.) I traded for a Chaos teams allied Goblin, giving up a developing Gutter Runner and alot of Cash for him. The Goblin was someone who many people in the league hated, AG5 and was remarkably good at landing after being thrown, turning the Chaos into an easy 1 turn TD team. I even paid the guy $5 for the mini. I then staked him and made him part of the stadium in the North End-Zone, making his "debut" in my first game against the Chaos team after his acquesition Twisted Evil

TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 - 06:51 PM

I see your point, it probably -would- let teams become overpowered. The only other option I could think of would be to let teams of the same race trade players or teams that share players to trade as well. (i.e., Nurgle and Chaos can trade Beastmen, Goblins and Orcs can trade Goblins or Trolls, or C.Dwarves and Norse can trade Minotaurs). This, I think, would make people whine they can't trade while others can. Opinions?

I only want to enable trading to make the game more dynamic, but I'm not willing to ruin anyone's fun or the league's fairness for it.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2005 - 12:29 PM

Canada
      Quote:

The only other option I could think of would be to let teams of the same race trade players or teams that share players to trade as well. (i.e., Nurgle and Chaos can trade Beastmen, Goblins and Orcs can trade Goblins or Trolls, or C.Dwarves and Norse can trade Minotaurs).

This works well as it does not affect the basic rules of the game so 'balance' is not affected. We used this system in the ABBL years ago. It had fairly little impact as people didn't want to let their good players leave.

Quote:

Skaven Thrower with 75 SPPs for a Skaven Thrower with 6 SPPs and Big Hand, I really wanted a big hand

This is something that never came up back in England! In football (soccer) you don't really trade much, you just buy. But i reckon alot of folks would take that trade!

I think on balance trading is good and the example trade above would give a rookie team a really good player and help get them 'up to speed' with the older teams quicker. It also gives the older team good value, instead of retiring an old pro on the off chance they might be able to train a new superstar, they can swap him(or her) for an up and coming player.
Also, one big advantage of the trade system is an established team could suffer a few deaths and MNG in one match, and be running the risk of the slow elimination of their remaining players. They could swap a decent 2/3 skill player for 2/3 rookies from a younger team to get their numbers up and both parties are very happy!

One thing you need to consider is tactical trading! For instance, someone could 'trade' to get really good players for a vital match and then re-trade the players back afterwards. You definitely want to be in control of the trading and if you have the right to reject a trade i am sure coaches won't risk not getting their players back:)

Quote:

This, I think, would make people whine they can't trade while others can. Opinions?

This is totally true, but people will ALWAYS whine about something Wink

But it totaly makes race selection more interesting and not just about which team you can play best Smile If I were to join a league with trade rules i would consider starting a team with the most potential trading partners!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic