NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 16, 2024 - 07:46 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Make dodges, not blocks. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NodrogNOffline
Post subject: Questions from a VeRy inexperienced Blood Bowler...  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 07:35 AM

I've not actually played Blood Bowl before, though I really liked watching the couple of games I saw. I would like to start a league in my area, since the nearest league is more than 2 hours away in Boston. I had a few questions about the game that I hope will help to start the league...

First, what is the difference between the 3rd edition boxed set and the newest edition? Someone said that the only difference is the rule book. If that's the case, I know that the LRB (I finally figured out that acronym) is online and I can get 3rd edition sets much cheaper than the newest editions. I'm really just wanting to make sure that the game board and the pass template are the same, since the other parts seem to not require exact scale...

Next, is GW mail order the only place to get most of the coach, ref, and cheerleader type models? (I've been looking over the forum for converting and have gotten some good advice, thanks...)

Next, what teams are good to start out with? I'm thinking about trying the Amazons, but it looks like they're pretty hard to develop. I also like the Lizardman team, but the models look a little boring. Any conversion advice there would be great...

Next, how hard is it to build a stadium? I have been thinking that a jungle stadium would be cool for Lizardmen or Amazons. Maybe a Norse stadium (it's cold around here)..?

Thank you for your time. I hope that my novice status will not be hed against me. (I know. Why did I pay the fee to register for this site when I'm not even a serious player yet?!? Because I'm just not a serious player..yet...)

Bless you all...

GORDON

Reply with quote Back to top
ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 09:19 AM

Yes, the only difference between the two is the rulebook and the LRB is downloadable for free from GW website. You can find 3ed box sets as well as a wide range of minis on ebay (probably will get them cheaper than from GW MO, even the newer minis). Most newbies are advised to try humans or orcs first to get used to playing the game, then move on to whatever you want, 'zons, norse, lizzies, etc. Never tried building a stadium or cusom field, but a number of people have, maybe try conversion section and also talkbloodbowl,com.
Hope that's been of some help.

ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 01:10 PM

Quote:

Yes, the only difference between the two is the rulebook and the LRB is downloadable for free from GW website. You can find 3ed box sets as well as a wide range of minis on ebay (probably will get them cheaper than from GW MO, even the newer minis). Most newbies are advised to try humans or orcs first to get used to playing the game, then move on to whatever you want, 'zons, norse, lizzies, etc. Never tried building a stadium or cusom field, but a number of people have, maybe try conversion section and also talkbloodbowl,com.
Hope that's been of some help.

Ditto, As to your Q about the amazons they are an awesome team that devellop really quickly as the Blitzers are about as hard to knock over as they come and as block is a general skill you can soon be fielding an entire team with block and dodge. Where they do fall down is their armour, so an apothocary is a worthwhile investment. Also watch out for Dwarf teams (or any team with alot of players with Tackle!). The other "downer" is the lack of big guy or special star player support other than Thrud, but to be honest they dont really need a big guy (not to say I wouldn't like to see them have access to one (what ever did happen to Lucky Luc?)) and I think that star players unballance the game anyway.

Good luck and happy gaming

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 05:27 PM

Undisclosed
Stick with Human or Orc team until you've played a few games. As teams go they're pretty forgiving about "rookie" mistakes. Once you've got a few games under you belt go for the team you like the models/fluff of.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 07:43 PM

I'd recommend that you go with the side that you like right away.

You'll learn how to play well with them soon enough.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

SquiggothOffline
Post subject: Re: Questions from a VeRy inexperienced Blood Bowler...  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 02:35 AM

NodrogN wrote:
I also like the Lizardman team, but the models look a little boring. Any conversion advice there would be great...

The "official" BB Lizardmen models suck imho. I'm busy painting the new Saurus Lord right now and I have to admit that the new Warhammer Lizzies just plainly rock! So my advice is to wait a months or so until they are released and then buy a box of Skinks and a box of Saurus and snip off their weapons to make a BB team (and use a plastic Saurus champion as a head coach!)

Martijn

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ShortarseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 11:07 AM

Quote:

Stick with Human or Orc team until you've played a few games. As teams go they're pretty forgiving about "rookie" mistakes. Once you've got a few games under you belt go for the team you like the models/fluff of.

Valid point but so is
      Quote:

I'd recommend that you go with the side that you like right away.

You'll learn how to play well with them soon enough.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

personally I started with Orcs (hard to injure, simple to play) but the Zon's can also be straight forwards as their stat line doesn't vary so it's simple to get used to the dice rolls.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 11:38 AM

I started with skaven, back in the 2nd edition days. Smile It taught me to never get too attached to my players.

-Oscar Wilde

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2003 - 11:48 AM

United States of America
I'd start with whatever squad you want to paint first as the mini's are a good part of the initial investment in the hobby. But, I would avoid halflings and goblins though unless you plan to use some optional house rules to help bring them onto a fair playing field.

You can go to www.blood-bowl.net for some good articles on strategy for each of the different races.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic