NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 02:20 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
My Rat Ogre is not a WIld Animal rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What Genre would you have liked the Blood Bowl novels to be?
Exactly as Matt Forbeck wrote. He did a good job
44%
 44%  [ 8 ]
Matt Forbeck nailed it. The genre is just right
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
More like the DiscWorld series by Terry Pratchett
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
A 'B grade' horror genre was what I was expecting
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A grittier, more 'realistic' novel, like 'Rollerball' or 'Salute of the Jugger'
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Something more 'gritty' and realisting like 'Rollerball' or 'Salute of the Jugger'
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A 'B grade' Horror style novel
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
The DiscWorld (Terry Pratchett) style of writing, Comedy/Fantasy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Something else (please describe by replying)
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Something else (please explain below in a reply)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

BabsOffline
Post subject: Matt Forbeck and the Style of Blood Bowl Novels  PostPosted: May 17, 2006 - 07:38 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I have been thinking about the Blood Bowl novels a lot. I was wondering, for those who have read them, are they written in the way people were expecting?

Personally, I was hoping that the novels would be a little more serious in some senses. I know that Blood Bowl is a parody, however even the DiscWorld series are serious books in some senses.

Interested in comments. I think we can all agree that the writing itself leaves some things to be desired, however this is more a discussion on the genre of the novels, so to speak.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Reply with quote Back to top
*Mr_Scream*Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2006 - 03:22 AM

i was realy expecting more blood bowl tbh. there are a few games described in each book and most either only last a few touchdowns or are described with dunk sat on the sidelines. other than that i realy enjoyed them (im onto teh last one now) there some of the only books ive managed to finish probably due to the subject matter.

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2006 - 03:37 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Please excuse the double poll results. PHPBB hates me.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2006 - 12:12 PM

Canada
I just picked up the second and third book in the series. The first one wasn't that great, but I figured I'd give these a shot (plus I've been looking for something to read that isn't a textbook)

well, I'm about 200 pages into the book, and there have been 2 games of blood bowl played. I'd like to see something that focuses more on the game itself and the team competing in the games. To me, the actual game played seems to be a bit of a side issue in all the stories.

I would also like to see all the stupid puns and names gotten rid of. One or two is ok, but its getting dumb when every chapter has to have some new type of beer or some new TV station.

I think I'll finish these books, I'm hoping that the second half of book 2 will get better.

Finally, I'm not sure how much blood bowl Mr. Forbeck has played. The biggest error that I have noticed was when they recruited a treeman to play for the team (forget that its a human team, whatever, I can live with that) but when the other players say that they could use a player with his speed and agility on the team (to be followed up by the treeman catching a pass in the end zone for a TD)

So as not to be compleatly negative, I do like that he decided to set the book ahead in the BB timeline, so we do not have to read stories about the greatness of Griff Obberwald or Varag Ghoul-Chwewer.

I also do like the action that happens in the games. Thats part of the reason why I would like to see more in-game action in the books.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic