NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 29, 2024 - 08:22 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Eyebrows day-glo rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Eric.R.Offline
Post subject: Fouling in Tournamets  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 - 11:06 AM

Vancouver, BC
Should fouling in a tournament game give reason for your opponent to give a low sportmanship ranking? I personally belive it shouldn't as it is used as a viable tactic for some coaches due to the current game situation, though there are some coaches who do it because they are an arse and will lose point accordanly anyways. I guess in a nut shell my arguement is : "Don't Hate the Player hate the Game"

Any thoughts?

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Fouling in Tournamets  PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Canada
      Eric.R. wrote:
Don't Hate the Player hate the Game"

Word. Cool

I think this one has been hashed around before, and when it is a resurrection tourney, then the casualties are pretty meaningless anyways (in the long term) so why cry?

The sam could be said with stall ball, or other tactics which other coaches do not like to have employed against them.

Don't like it? Go play chess!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 - 06:32 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
In resurrection style tournaments it should be a non-issue. In league style it gets more problematic - especially if someone if fouling for kicks rather than any perceived in-game advantage.

Styfen
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 06:42 AM

In short, No.

In long. No because fouling is a part of the legal rules of the game. Especially in tournaments where you can damage the opposing team as much as you like and they'll be able to function just fine in the next match.

Imo, In tournaments anything goesas long as it's fair. I don't think you should penalise someone for playing within the boundries of the game. Being rude and unpleasant while doing it on the other hand... Razz

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Fouling in Tournamets  PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 09:06 AM

Canada
      Eric.R. wrote:
Should fouling in a tournament game give reason for your opponent to give a low sportmanship ranking?

Thinking of changing your tourney tactics but worried about maintaining the sporting image you have developed? Wink

I guess this question is also hinged upon the tournament itself and how the TO is running it. I have found with any sportsmanship ranking system that too many people give top marks anyways. I know for my tournament, there is an all or nothing system. Either the person was good to play against or they weren't. So they either get one point, or none at all. If they get none, then I will be talking to the other player to find out what the problem was. At that point I will take into account whether the person was just being a crybaby or whether there was something more legit.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 10:21 PM

United States of America
Fouling is an ACTION just like a Move, Blitz, Pass or Block. I don't see why it's even an issue.

Also with LRB5 and getting kicked out on doubles of Armor or Injury rules, Fouling is quite risky. Even more of a reason to never frown upon someone doing it.

juggler434Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Getting poor sportsmanship marks for fouling is ridiculous. I expect my opponent to foul if it will help put them ahead, and I'll do the same. Lawful good doesn't mean lawful stupid as they say in the dungeons and dragons world.

RyanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2006 - 12:20 AM

Canvey Island, Essex

As a Halfling Coach I see fouling as a KEY part of my Game plan. For teams Like Halfings, Goblins and Snotling Heavy Ogre teams Fouling is in many cases the easiest way to take out your opponents Key players (Anyone with Tackle) once they've been downed.

Then again I was they guy who went to this Years Blood Bowl and managed to (under LRB 4) get every Fling on the Team sent off at least twice, and repeated it at the Pearlies.

And The again I am offically the Worst NAF Halfling Coach in the world

Turin
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2006 - 01:58 PM

I personally think, in some teams you have to foul at least once or twice a game. It just belongs to the spirit of those teams (like Dark Elves, and they suffer more from the referee than gobbos for example), and I also think, fouling is a good way to keep some players away from the ball or your own players. I would always throw a foul at a wardancer next to the ball rather than to let him score the touchdown next turn, or foul the rat ogre before he kicks my players asses.
I think it's a valid tactic, and good or bad sportmanship is not a question of somebody fouling, but of his interaction with the opposing coach and of his reactions to mere luck or bad luck.
I always try to achieve a funny game, funny for me as well as for my opponent, and it doesn't matter if he fouls one of my players. Btw: If fouling was unfair, what about passing and running by elves, or blocking everything that moves by 4 khemrian mummies?

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 15, 2006 - 04:02 AM
Da Warboss

England
I can't believe people still think this is an issue. Surprised it's like saying that block actions are unsporting because they can take players down...

crazy!

NAF #60

AllyDonTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2006 - 07:01 AM

The game is called BLOOD bowl. Not pretty kitten flower bowl. The point of the game, it could be argued, is to hurt your opponent as much as it is to score touch downs. Just read the background fluff.

If you weren't meant to do it, it wouldn't be in the game, and skills like dirty player wouldn't exist.

The fact is it's in the game, and your tactics should take into account the fact that fouling may be used against you.

And above all, IT'S JUST A GAME!

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2006 - 11:14 AM

Canada
Even if your opponent fouls every turn. It is part of the game. Unless he is playing flings, gobbos, or snotlings (and maybe Khemri), it is a poor strategy, his players will get sent off, and this will give you a better opportunity to win.

To reiterate what pretty-much everybody has said here, fouling is an action, it is part of the game.

I'd even argue that people that can't handle playing BloodBowl shouldn't even play chess. Players die in chess. They should avoid all games or activities that involve sports and war.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic