NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 06:22 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fractured Arm! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the final game of a tourney determine placement or go towards final points?
Overall tournament placement. Top Table for 1st & 2nd and so on?
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Overall points.
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Overall points for a 5 game tourney. Placement for a 6 game tourney.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
It could go either way. It really doesn't matter.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

DarkOrk20Offline
Post subject: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 06:53 PM

United States of America
Does this matter more or less based on a five game or six game tourney?
If you have an opinion please express your viewpoint for clarification and understanding.

I asked this question at the Underworld Cup and got a few suggestions and ideas on the subject that I didn't expect.

Of course, there are no wrong answers. If there is I will let you know.

Thank you for your time.

PS. Could a mod please reauthorize the Whippet bowl. It was dropped so the TO of the tourney could get access for editing. Thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 10:45 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'm not attending - so I won't vote - but I really don't like finals. It boils down to that it increases the chances that the player with the best record doesn't actually end up winning the tournament. There are two scenarios I really dislike. One is that you have a run away leader - and #2 can't even catch him with a maximum points win. So why should winning the last game and still having a worse overall record mean that the best player doesn't win?

The second one is far more important, especially when run in small tournaments. At mountain bowl this year anyone of the top 4 could finish top. That meant the game on table #2 was far more interesting that would have been the case were their a final and neither 3rd nor 4th could acutally win.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject: RE: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2007 - 10:51 PM

United States of America
It has come to my attention that in the convention circuit with other games, overall points has a far greater effect tahn top table games.

It keeps most players interested later than "I lost my first 2 so there is no chance for me" syndrome
It also makes it very level as you are playing players that are closely matched (swiss) so you can topple a guy and go from 25th to 12th depending on the other games results

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject: RE: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 - 08:25 AM

Canada
I also don't like "finals". Overall tournament points is the best way to judge who has the best tournament, especially in the SWISS system.

We had six people who could have won DBVI going into the last game, which was much more exciting.

CramyOffline
Post subject: RE: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 - 10:59 AM

Canada
I like the overall points as well. Really shows who was the best for the whole tournament. This is especially true in smaller tournaments. Some tourneys here have 12 coaches participating. So the final game on table 1 sometimes ends-up being the 1st overall against the 5th or 6th, depending on who has played against who already (SWISS). So the 5th place overall could win the tournament if he wins the final game under the table 1 winner system, which isn't right IMO.

Cramy

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: Playing the final game.  PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Canada
Yeah, I find overall rating keeps it more accurate to who actually did the best in the league. I don't care so much about playing on table 1. But if I am on table 2 in the final game, and have to win to win the tournament, thats more important to me.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic