NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 04, 2024 - 07:19 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zara thinks you're cute. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject: TD election - clarification  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 02:28 AM
Da Warboss

England
I've posted this here since I have perceived an apparent worry amongst North American coaches with what it is thought I will do should I win the current Tournament Director election.

Some background - initially, I was quite keen to restrict sanctioninig of variant BB tournament events, primarily to limit the possibility for cheating. After some very interesting questions posed during the Q&A period and some extensive discussions with certain forum members, I reconsidered that position and posted what I thought to be a new plan. Unfortunately it seems that many people still do think I am going to issue an outright ban on variant games of BB for ranking purposes despite me stating otherwise.

This is not the case.

It is my impression that my co-runner proposes to leave the system exactly as is and not do anything at all. My own proposition is that the system remains unchanged in the short to medium term future, but I then propose to setup alternate rankings for BB variants AS WELL AS a combined vanilla/variant tournament ranking further in the future. This offers the best of both worlds, allowing a greater degree of granularity for those interested in how they do at different game types, as well as the same view we have now for those who are less concerned about the rankings.

I am of the definite opinion that the role of the TD is much more than just a "postal service" sending out tournament packs to NTCs - it's an opportunity to do something to enhance the NAF and the BB community as a whole. As such I invite anyone and everyone to pitch in suggestions for what they want to see, should I win the election, and I also encourage further discussion about the above proposal.

Please do contact me via PM or on this post if you have further questions, hopefully this has allayed your fears that I would kill BB in NA should I win!

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
IndigoOffline
Post subject: RE: TD election - clarification  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 04:43 AM
Da Warboss

England
Re-reading my post above I would like to stress that the TD, like all other NAF roles, will still operate in the current framework, i.e. although these are the directions I would like to take the rankings, all decisions are ultimately taken by the comittee. The above is simply what I would bring to the committee for discussion.

NAF #60

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: RE: TD election - clarification  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 07:35 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Indigo ... thanks for the clarification. Your original comments did NOT come out that way in the discussion.

I think you'd be surprised how many folks like the NAF's policy of allowing any ruleset ... my vote was not only influenced by your comments on variant BB but also your comments that you would not want to approve any tournament using a ruleset before LRB 4.0. The "open door" policy for touranments is one of the things that I personally have liked the most about how the NAF was organized. Your statements in the Q&A indicated that you wanted this to change ... I think you are seeing on the forums how many folks don't want change in this matter to the point that they are vote stomping for your opponent.

If a Variant ranking for each player was created ... that's great ... it keeps the "open door" policy of the NAF intact. Along with this though would be an acceptance that none of these tournaments would not receive NAF approval for entrying into the current rankings until such a system was fully in place.

I'll be very honest Indigo ... I've heard some very great things about you as a person ... but the "open door" policy of the NAF is something I hold dear (as do many others) ... and I think the TD can do a GREAT many things for the NAF without altering this policy.

I know Deathwing has already posted that the TD does not have the power to make this decision by himself ... that it would require the NAF elected members to vote to change the rules for tournaments. However ... I'd prefer a candiate who upfront wasn't going to challenge that structure at all (not just for variants ... but to also allow 3rd edition, Gold Edition, or even 1st edition tournaments if they are desired to be run and NAF approved).

So many things need done with helping tournaments get going ... I just got an email from an event that said they were promised help from the NAF for their tournament and it "fell through" ... that to me is what the TD is there for. To help the tournament scene thrive and grow in whatever way possible (and restricting NAF approval in any way, shape, or form is not "thrive and grow" in my thoughts). NAF support for an event should not fall through. And the TD can do miles and miles of work to make this happen without restricting NAF approval and without just being someone who goes to the post office (and to be honest the post office thing is already such a NON-issue ... I cannot count the number of folks I know that have volunteered to completely remove this job from the TD).

Anyway .. thanks for the clarification ... but to me ... you haven't done anything to change your stance on pre-LRB 4.0 tournaments which means you still support a change to the NAF's open door event structure and that is what part of the stomping on the forums is about.

Galak

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: TD election - clarification  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 08:23 AM

Canada
I agree with what Galak about your lack of clarity in your initial Q+A posts.

The Canadian scene has some great tourneys that do use variants, what with the Deathbowl and my own tournament "The Challenge of Q'ermitt". Mind you the Q'ermitt boards are not nearly as extreme a variant as Deathbowl, Streetbowl or Sevens, but as you were not clear, I did not know where you would draw the line!

Also, I agree with Galak in the respect that I like variety in the tournament scene. I made my tourney the way it is so that it could be something different. I love Blood Bowl and I love the tourney scene, but too much of the same thing can get boring. A bit of variety does the whole scene some good. And if I can have a tourney with custom built boards and weather and kick off tables to represent them, then that makes for a slight twist that makes it more interesting and will hopefully inject some interest in the North American BB scene.

As you are currently in the lead, I hope that you are true to your word. I would hate to see you make steps to institute what would be a crippling blow to the already stuggling North American Blood Bowl scene.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

SolarFlareOffline
Post subject: Re: TD election - clarification  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Indigo wrote:
initially, I was quite keen to restrict sanctioninig of variant BB tournament events, primarily to limit the possibility for cheating.

I am curious as to your concern regarding cheating. As a NA player, I have not seen or heard of this being any problem at all. Is it a problem in Europe?

I have always thought that the NAF and BB in general is for fun. Why would someone be cheating? Are there some money tournaments or something that I am unaware of?

Indigo wrote:
Please do contact me via PM or on this post if you have further questions, hopefully this has allayed your fears that I would kill BB in NA should I win!

I do not think that you would kill BB in NA, but I think sweeping changes to the NAF sanctioning could significantly affect North American NAF membership. For example, I would still attend many tournaments, but I would probably not re-new with NAF if the tournaments were not being sanctioned. I know the two teenagers I take with me would be in the same boat. They love to get online and see that there is a "result" there. Because of this, I sincerely hope any changes made will be small in nature, because I have had a blast the last few years with all of this.

Anyway, best of luck with the election.

LychanthropeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Undisclosed

I'm with Solarflare on this one. I don't think you'll kill our tournaments, but you may very well kill our NAF membership.

I like the idea of playing as many types as possible. We have Streetbowl and BB so far, with a few variants in tables and line-ups, but I'd like to see a Midwest Dugeon Bowl and BB7's tourney. I also want an Elfball tourney, but I don't expect NAF to cover that at this point.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic