NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 04:19 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nice: Perfect Blood Bowl weather. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject: Ideas for next year's Student Nationals  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 05:57 AM

I am running a Blood Bowl tournament - for the Student Nationals in April 2004. I have noticed that (for obvious reasons) the WPS rules don't actually include any points for painting etc in the Blood Bowl rules. May I ask why? Is it because Blood Bowl is more like football etc and should be won by the guy who "wins" the most - unlike WHFB (although obviously winning is still a big part of it).

My idea for a scoring system was as follows

5 games:

Win: 50 points
Draw: 25 Points
Lose: 10 Points
TF: +3 pts
TA: -3 pts
CF: +1 pt
CA: -1 pt

(Field goals will be 2 points if used)

So about 56 points for a good win - the best teams should approach 300 points.

I was then going to have 50 points on painting:

Painted (3 colours): UP TO 10 points (if 80% have three colours then 8 etc)
Based: UP TO 10 Points
Detailed: UP TO 10 points
Team Background: 0/10 points (I'm not grading them!)
WYSIWYG: 0/5 points
WOW!: 5 points.

I also intend to have a "themed" competition. Games 1, 3 and 4 will be normal Blood Bowl games. But the tournament is a tour of Albion (with a booklet and everything). The 2nd game will be played using the junglebowl trees as it will be played in the Lustrian "bit" of Albion.

The final game will be played on the great plain of Albion - where there are standing stones built by the druids.... All the better for kicking field goals (the last game will use kicking)

Teams will be starting - with 1,100,000 to spend. One skill may be taken after each game for ONE player. No player can have more than ONE skill or advance. Players will ROLL to see if they get a trait/increase etc after each game...

Comments? I really like the idea of something a little different - but not too random, for next year's nationals...

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 06:28 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'd strongly recommend that the best scoring system is based more on tie breaks than a single score - so result 1st, then net TDs, then total TDs, then net cas, then total cas. If you want make Painting/Sportsmanship the 2nd & 3rd tie breaks.

For result scoring I think 5 pts for win, 3 for a draw, 2 for loss by 1TD and 1 for losing by 2 or more is a good system. It gives a player a lot of incentive to go for the TDs even if they are 2-0 down.

Personnally I wouldn't bother having special rules for some of the games it just makes the whole thing more complex than it needs to be. If you want to theme it make the rules apply to all the games.

Don't allow rolling for skills - then some lucky b*gger gets +ST giving him an unfair advantage in the 2nd game. At least say no stat increases - but I'd say just normal skills. If you want to allow traits/doubles then Richard Would's idea for the National Wargaming Convention is a good one

3rd game choose one of
1) 2nd normal skill for a player
2) Trait or "double" skill for a player
3) 2 normal skills on 2 players.

I take it that you are not allowing star players, but are allowing wizards (at 150k) and apoths.

IndigoOffline
Post subject: Re: Ideas for next year's Student Nationals  PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 06:32 AM
Da Warboss

England
      noodle1978uk wrote:
I am running a Blood Bowl tournament - for the Student Nationals in April 2004. I have noticed that (for obvious reasons) the WPS rules don't actually include any points for painting etc in the Blood Bowl rules. May I ask why?

It's really down to organisers preference - some people prefer "pure" gaming, and don't think painting should figure at all. Others think painting is as much a part of the joy of BB as playing so factor it in to the tournament scores. While I think it is very important, I personally don't really want it affecting tournament scores. I do want good paint jobs recognised though, so I still have a category for Best Painted Team.

noodle1978uk wrote:

My idea for a scoring system was as follows

5 games:

Win: 50 points
Draw: 25 Points
Lose: 10 Points
TF: +3 pts
TA: -3 pts
CF: +1 pt
CA: -1 pt

(Field goals will be 2 points if used)

So about 56 points for a good win - the best teams should approach 300 points.

I really don't like the idea of field goals, nor any of the kicking rules found in the Annual. It wouldn't put me off attending the tourney but I don't think they have much of a place in BB.

As for the scoring system, off the top of my head it looks fine.

noodle1978uk wrote:

I was then going to have 50 points on painting:
Painted (3 colours): UP TO 10 points (if 80% have three colours then 8 etc)
Based: UP TO 10 Points
Detailed: UP TO 10 points
Team Background: 0/10 points (I'm not grading them!)
WYSIWYG: 0/5 points
WOW!: 5 points.

Who are you going to have doing the judging? IMO the scales are a bit too broad - how do you differentiate between an 8 and a 7 for example? I think all teams MUST be painted 3 colours to get in, then better painted teams get more points. I thought the system at the BB was good:

three colours = 1 point
based = 1 point
detailed = 1 point

This means a total of three points are available for painting - this would need tweaking to fit into your scoring system. I don't think bases can be awarded from 1 to 10, as after static grass and flock I don't see what else can be done!

noodle1978uk wrote:

I also intend to have a "themed" competition. Games 1, 3 and 4 will be normal Blood Bowl games. But the tournament is a tour of Albion (with a booklet and everything). The 2nd game will be played using the junglebowl trees as it will be played in the Lustrian "bit" of Albion.

The final game will be played on the great plain of Albion - where there are standing stones built by the druids.... All the better for kicking field goals (the last game will use kicking)

Aside from the kicking part, the themed games sound interesting. I'd be careful though - I'm not sure if you will get NAF sanctioning if the BB game is altered too much from the LRB, although I can't answer that for you.

noodle1978uk wrote:

Teams will be starting - with 1,100,000 to spend. One skill may be taken after each game for ONE player. No player can have more than ONE skill or advance. Players will ROLL to see if they get a trait/increase etc after each game...

Not too sure about the rolling for a trait - what if one team gets a ST increase or two after a few games? They might then be too powerful. Still it is worth testing these variations in actual tournaments to see how they perform.

All in all I think you've got some really interesting ideas, and just because I don't agree with them all doesn't invalidate them in any way. Where might this championship be held?

NAF #60

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 06:47 AM

The championship will be held in Sheffield, in April, as part of the Student National Wargames and Roleplaying championships (400 people expected)...

I agree about traits - to obviate lucky people I will probably say - "after game 3 you can have a trait"...

As far as painting and basing goes - I meant people will get the full 10 points for basing if all models are based, but only 8 if 80% are based etc, thats all! Very Happy

I will (hopefully) be getting some very good painters (winners of at least 2 WHFB best painted army awards) to judge the painting. And me Very Happy

RE: Junglebowl and Kicking.

First the Jungle - we've played it and it doesn't do very much. Neither does kicking in actual fact, but I wanted something a bit different...

These two games might provide a bit of interest thats all. If both teams elect not to kick well..... Very Happy

We do use kicking at present in our league, though it hasn't done a grwat deal...

As for NAF sanctioning, I wasn't really thinking about that - if I wanted it NAF sanctioned would I have to take out the interesting bits Sad

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 07:25 AM
Da Warboss

England
      noodle1978uk wrote:
As for NAF sanctioning, I wasn't really thinking about that - if I wanted it NAF sanctioned would I have to take out the interesting bits Sad

Dunno. I know experimental teams aren't allowed.

It sounds interesting so definitely pencil me in.

NAF #60

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 19, 2003 - 07:38 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
BTW WPS does include Painting and Sportsmanship in the final score - in fact the 1st & 2nd places were determined by it.

The reason WPS CC uses a single score is because it needs to integrate results across several systems - so they all score on the 0-32 point scale. When you've got 1 system you don't need to be so restricted.

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 - 03:34 AM

Well - its not until April next year and its part of the Student Nationasl team event anyway - so I've got plenty of time Very Happy

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 20, 2003 - 03:56 AM
Da Warboss

England
we could enter a NAF team Smile

NAF #60

Slinky78Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2003 - 04:10 PM

England

Can we have alumni teams?

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 01:25 AM
Da Warboss

England
Yes, based on the thread over at TBB. I think the condition is you have to be a student or a graduate. We could make a NAF Graduate team, since it's unlikely we'll get enough people from any one university who will be able to enter as a team.

The trouble then is what happens when we win - no uni to host it!

NAF #60

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 01:26 AM
Da Warboss

England
noodle - do you know what Unis are planning on entering a team? with luck, leicester will be and I can join theirs.

NAF #60

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 03:15 AM

Well, Leicester didn't send anyone to DUNDEE last year - but Sheffield's not so far. Basically the nationals are a team event. See:

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Student_Nationals

I think....

Information will be going to unis in September.

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 - 03:25 AM
Da Warboss

England
Checked this link and found the email address for the leicester gamesoc president, so I've asking if he needs a graduate vet for his team Wink

NAF #60

ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2003 - 07:41 AM

England
Well, I'd go as a graduate, if only because an Ex goes there to roleplay, and the chance to grin at someone who hates my guts with zenophobic passion could provoke a real blood bowl match Smile

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2003 - 08:21 AM
Da Warboss

England
I got in touch with the Leicester gamessoc president and he confirmed that it's fine for me to join their team as a graduate (will take my "Class of 2000" t-shirt to prove it Wink)

I reckon I'd be the only BB player for the Leicester team though

NAF #60

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic