NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 12:03 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fan Factor of 1. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GlamdrynOffline
Post subject: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thread  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 01:56 PM

United States of America
Hey All,

2012 is coming to a close and I enjoyed putting up the stats for the ECGP. This thread is to discuss whats in store for 2013. Who intends to participate with their tournament? Should we change anything? Was the scoring good in 2012? What can we do better? etc etc

Reply with quote Back to top
GlamdrynOffline
Post subject: RE: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thre  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 01:57 PM

United States of America
RESERVED

LINKS:
ECGP Standings 2012
ECGP Standings 2011
ECGP Tournament List and Discussion
North America Tournament/League Map

Last edited by Glamdryn on Nov 16, 2012 - 11:03 AM; edited 1 time in total

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thre  PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 - 03:17 PM

Canada
I liked the system, I don't think we need to change much. Just get the word out there more, so more people know about it.

GaixoOffline
Post subject: RE: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thre  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 06:18 AM
Former President

United States of America
It sounds like we're running five tournaments in Southeastern Virginia this year. I can't speak for all of the organizers, but I'm pretty sure they'll want to be included.

The items that were essentially tabled in last year's discussion were:
-Travel points
I think there should be travel points. It's obviously much easier for people who live in a BB hub to earn a ton of points, so I don't see any harm in making the field slightly more even. Maybe double participation points for any out of state/province tournament played in? The idea last year was a single bonus point per state played in, I believe.

-Tiebreaker(s)
Maybe top placement in any one tournament, followed by most #1 finishes, most #2, etc.

-Should organizers acquire points in the usual fashion?
Does this mean that organizers shouldn't get any points for playing in their own tournament? I guess I can support that, as I'd generally prefer the organizer not play at all.

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thre  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 08:48 AM

Canada
K, I actually read the requirements breakdown and have some additional comments (I remember reading all these threads, but somehow forgot what was actually discussed).

Travel Points
I do think there should be travel points. State/Province is a simple way to decide, but ideally, distance travelled would be the best. The only thing I don't like about province/state is that if you live close to a boarder, you are getting easy bonus points. ie I live in Ottawa, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec is 2hrs away, but Toronto is 4 hrs away. Why should I get bonus points for travelling a shorter distance.

Tie-breakers
I like Gaixo's idea. Top number of top placements is the tie-breaker, then # of 2nd place finishes, etc etc.

Organizers acquiring points
Yes, normally they won't play. But if its a small tournament, then usually they will be the odd man out. Either way, I am okay with TO's getting points. Its not like Jonny_P or Xtreme or GeneralJason are going to play in their own tournament with the other 50-80 coaches, that would be insane.

Majors
I do think Majors should be included in the standings. But maybe just a +1 for 50+ coaches. Then maybe someday we can have a tournament in our region grow to that size.

runki_khrumOffline
Post subject: RE: 2013 East Coast Grand Prix - Preliminary Discussion Thre  PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Canada
About travel points........

I played in 6 tourneys in the Toronto area ( Niagra to Cobourg), 3 in Ottawa, 1 in Montreal, 1 in Savanah, GA.

I live a 5 hour drive from TO. 90 minutes from Otttawa and about an hour from Montreal. Georgia is days away, just happened to be in the area.

Maybe like car shows just for the furthest traveled?

I honestly don't think travel points will affect the points standing all that much but if it will get people to show then I'm all for it!

Rats gone wild! (.)(.)

StimmeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Germany
Thanks Glamdryn for your efforts.

To me, the system should meet three criteria: Honour the best coaches, motivate the people to participate in tournaments, and be simple.

To meet the second point, the participation points were a good idea. But as Dwarfrunner pointed out, starting to take in account travelling distances will bloat the scoring system dramatically. There are people from the US driving two hours to Niagara into another country, and there are others that stay within the same state/province, but travel six hours each way. The fairest way would thus be to measure distances. Then of course we would have to have some complicated system like one extra point every 100km and hope there won't be any participants from Australia. I don't think it's worth the effort. Because in the end, the coach with the most wins should take home the trophy, not the one with the most frequent flyer points.

Finally, I don't think giving point to the organizers is a big problem. Most of them will play Tier3 teams anyway at their own tournament.

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 10:53 AM

United States of America
Some proposals to rules:

1) Travel Points - 1 pt added for each state/province where a coach participated in a tournament

2) Majors/Participation Points - +1 for each day, +1 for each 50 coaches (ie 2 day and 80 coaches = 3 pts for participation)

3) Tie Breakers - Add up number of 1st place, 2nd , 3rd, etc whomever has the most wins.

4) TOs Playing - Make TOs that play limited to low tier teams?

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 11:00 AM

United States of America
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah83Vz7D7wXidGdRUzlIMjZfdmZOX3cwWjVvZmh6aGc#gid=0

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for including tournaments and comments for rules. Gonna try to keep this up to date while we discuss.

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 11:21 AM

Basically, everything is sorted out, just need to clarify the tie breaker Wink

DaggersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Canada
      Glamdryn wrote:
Some proposals to rules:

1) Travel Points - 1 pt added for each state/province where a coach participated in a tournament

2) Majors/Participation Points - +1 for each day, +1 for each 50 coaches (ie 2 day and 80 coaches = 3 pts for participation)

3) Tie Breakers - Add up number of 1st place, 2nd , 3rd, etc whomever has the most wins.

4) TOs Playing - Make TOs that play limited to low tier teams?

1) Sounds fair, is that including your home state/province? Not that it matters really. You played in 4 different states/provinces gives you 4 points. Seems simply, a little bit of extra work to calculate, but not terribly time consuming.

2) That sounds reasonable. So if +100 coaches show up to NATC (a 3 day tournament). That would be +4 to participation? I can live with that.

3) Something like that. But you may need more than one tie-breaker (just playing devils advocate here). So total 1st, 2nd and 3rd is the first one, then # of 1st, then # of 2nd, then # of 3rd. Thats four tie-breakers.

4) I don't think we need to limit TO's to playing low tier teams. Just say TO's can't get placement points for their own tournament, only participation points. I don't know many TO's that would accept winning their own tournament (I can only think of one, and its not me).

GlamdrynOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 12:28 PM

United States of America
We didn't count majors last year for ECGP. Should we count Spike, Chaos Cup, NATC?

runki_khrumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 12:36 PM

Canada
None of those majors are East coast. Just saying. Smile

Rats gone wild! (.)(.)

StimmeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Germany
General question: If this is about strengthening the tournament scene, why are we encouraging people to attend already big and established tournaments by giving them more points to fly to Chicago for a major than to drive 6h to the Pub, Dagger or Stinky Cheese Bowl?

LizardcoreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2012 - 12:48 PM

whatever rules you pick, Colin will win again, just sayin'

@ dagger: who would win his own tournament ? Very Happy

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic