NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 15, 2024 - 11:49 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Useless Minotaur! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spreeOffline
Post subject: LRB 2.0 Piling On = old Dirty Player  PostPosted: Jul 31, 2003 - 08:12 PM

The latest trend in the league I'm currently playing in is to get a Big Guy (or Mummy/Black Orc), give him Piling On as his first skill and watch him rack up the casualties. This is the role Dirty Player used to play before it was nerfed by the new fouling rules.

As I'm using an Elf team I can't jump on the bandwagon and I'm not sure what the best counter-strategy or PO deterrent is yet. Dirty Player used to be the best deterrent, if a PO player went down you jumped on his head.

I'm due to play an Orc team next that has caused 25 Casualties in 7 games with a PO Ogre leading the charge. I have given a Lineman Dirty Player and will use it as soon as he PO's.

But will it be enough? If he doesn't hurt the Ogre first time and the Orcs don't foul back there's a good chance he'll be sent off. I only have 2 reserves and a numbers disadvantage will really hurt against Orcs.

Has anyone faced PO nasties? Anyone know good strategies against it? Confused

Reply with quote Back to top
GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 31, 2003 - 08:53 PM

I played a Chaos team once that had a PO Mino and made it clear up front that if that Mino went down on a PO attempt that I would quit playing BB and start playing the foul game, I would surround that Mino and foul him every turn for the rest of the game.

That worked. He didn't PO until the last turn of the game. Other than that, don't see much of a defense against it other than don't get blocked by that player.

McDethOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 03:20 AM

Gertwise wrote:
I played a Chaos team once that had a PO Mino and made it clear up front that if that Mino went down on a PO attempt that I would quit playing BB and start playing the foul game, I would surround that Mino and foul him every turn for the rest of the game.

That worked. He didn't PO until the last turn of the game. Other than that, don't see much of a defense against it other than don't get blocked by that player.

He He Wink ; he should have used it to his advantage. If he was receiving, should have piled on first turn and see what you would do, if you surrounded the minotaur and fouled him, then it would have left you wide open for the rest of the team to set themselves up deep in your half in a virtually inpenetrable position. Without dirty player then the threat of a foul is hardly any deterent, its likely you'd be sent off before making any telling blow on the Mino. Laughing

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 06:52 AM

I agree that Piling On has become the new "weapon of choice," but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "the new Dirty Player." Old DP was truly deadly and abusable. It also had no drawbacks other than the odd ejection. Piling On can get you hurt, and it usually sucks up several blocks per game (note: does not apply to Norse Blitzers).

I suggest you adopt one of two approaches:

1. Get a pair of Dirty Players. Yes, I said "a pair" - you'll need the second one to keep your opponent honest.

2. Get a player with Piling On. Just make it some lineman who rolls doubles. If you can get a second doubles roll, take Jump Up. If Piling On is really that good, you can probably get a third skill (Block) before you get killed; if you can't, I don't think Piling On is too bad (at least at +3).

As a side note, the BBRC will review Piling On again this year, just as we did last year. Last year, we left it alone. In the 10 months since, the number of complaints I've heard about the pre-AV aspect has dropped, but the number of complaints about its frequency has risen.

-Chet

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 06:56 AM

Toronto, ON
We've changed it in our league to "declare before rolling AV", and it's taken the sting out a bit. I am happier with it now than the LRB version.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
He He ; he should have used it to his advantage. If he was receiving, should have piled on first turn and see what you would do, if you surrounded the minotaur and fouled him, then it would have left you wide open for the rest of the team to set themselves up deep in your half in a virtually inpenetrable position. Without dirty player then the threat of a foul is hardly any deterent, its likely you'd be sent off before making any telling blow on the Mino.

That tactic only worked on that player because he loved that mino and worked more to cause casualties than score TD's. Against anybody else, they would have done exactly what you described.

McDethOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 - 07:41 AM

Gertwise wrote:

That tactic only worked on that player because he loved that mino and worked more to cause casualties than score TD's. Against anybody else, they would have done exactly what you described.

Ahh Wink Exploit his weakness, I Like it Wink

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2003 - 02:02 AM

In the League I'm playing in at the moment there are two orc teams that have Pilling on, block and Pro. They are both monsters. one of them got all his spp from casualties only!!.
My tactic was to freeboot nobla blakwart, since he had just as good a chanse of getting though his armour but doesn't keed to roll block dice, then can dodge away.

the problem with this is he is only available to Chaos (me) and Orcs who are the main teams to get the nast PO players (i just got a CW with PO and razor sharp fangs Smile. dark elfs can free boot the guy with the dagger.

Unfortunatly in the game I tried this nobla cold not start the chain saw untill the 6th turn and by that time my team was getting smashed, Nobla managed to kill a Black orc on the only atack he got to make though. (the turn before was the first time he could attack and all I kneeded was for my ogre to push a line orc back so nobla could have a claer shot at his ogre but of course my ogre fell over).

KamikazeRudyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 14, 2003 - 09:39 AM

I'm abusing the skill on my Norse team...

4 Piling On, Mighty Blow Berserkers. 3 have Guard also, and the 4th has Dauntless.

You wanna play the fouling game with me? Bring it on! I have 3 Dirty Players as well. 46 casualties over the last 6 games. Smile

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2003 - 04:04 AM

Undisclosed
We have a skaven player in our league who routinely gives his Rat Ogre PO as its first skill. He was warned by several league members that if he insisted on doing so it would only cost his team money. He hasn't listened and here we are three seasons later and his team has gone through (count them) 5 rat ogres. He piles on once and doesn't get up again. The silliest thing is that the player doesn't even take advantage of the fact that his whole opposition is kicking the crap out of ogre and score. He then wastes more ratty lives trying to defend the downed ogre. Guess some people never learn huh? Embarassed

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2003 - 11:57 AM

United States of America

Quote:

As I'm using an Elf team I can't jump on the bandwagon and I'm not sure what the best counter-strategy or PO deterrent is yet. Dirty Player used to be the best deterrent, if a PO player went down you jumped on his head.

If you play Elfs I think the best thing you can do is dodge away and as far as you can without compromising your game plan (OK, easier said than done). Minimize the number of blocks your opponent will do and try and make him block players with no skills or SPPs. And if he does pile on, kick his skull with dirty player.

I one played a game against orcs with my wood elf. My opponent started the game going for as much damage as possible. I spent the first half of the game running around the entire field, making passes and hand offs between fast players (wardancers and catchers). His fastest player was a M6 blitzer and I lured most of his team into one half so he had a bad time catching me, and when he did it was with one or two players who mostly had to "roll two-dice-I choose" blocks against my block/dodge wardancer/catcher. On the last turn, I scored.

In the second half, I let him score fast, and then I scored again with two wardancer working together.

I still suffered three injuries, though. And I was VERY lucky. Orcs are very, very dangerous...

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2003 - 01:32 PM

Canada
I must be one of the rare BB players out there who actually like the way PO is!! I played with teams that had PO players and teams that didn't. When I play against POers, I try to let him use it only on a blitz. THen, when that guys is down, I foul on the very next turn. It's a learning process: you want to use it, you'll get fouled. And overall, I'd say that my retaliations usually hurt as much as the initial blow. So, all this to say that I don't mind!

Fred

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2003 - 04:04 PM

United States of America

Quote:

When I play against POers, I try to let him use it only on a blitz. THen, when that guys is down, I foul on the very next turn. It's a learning process: you want to use it, you'll get fouled. And overall, I'd say that my retaliations usually hurt as much as the initial blow. So, all this to say that I don't mind!

For me it's a matter of cost: For example I value more a Dark Elf lineman or Wood Elf lineman than a Black Orc or Chaos Warrior with PO. So if you PO my elf and then I stomp him we may both lose, but I feel losing my lineman is a greater loss because they are so expensive, I usually have few of them and I feel there is a broader selection of things that can be done.

Has anyone had a wardancer or a human catcher killed by a zombie with PO? OK, that's the fun of the game and the great team leveller, but... AAAAARRRGHHHH!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic