NAF Logo
leftstar Jun 30, 2024 - 10:24 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tournament Director in ratings fix scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Skull_CrusherOffline
Post subject: Lizardmen  PostPosted: May 21, 2003 - 11:47 PM

Hi there,

Any valuable hints for playing Lizardmen. I am quite new to Blood Bowl and just kicked off a league with 12 teams.

Somehow my skinks seem to disappear for the second half, although I try to keep them out of the worst infights.

Thanx,

Skull_Crusher

Twisted Evil

Reply with quote Back to top
dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 12:36 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Buy some re-rolls right at the start!

You have the fastest players in the game (apart from ratty flavoured teams) so take advantage of it! When ever you have the ball run circles around your opponent, when you don't make sure you always dodge away from your oponents tackle zones: you cannot block what you are not touching! This will only leave your Saurus in contact and they are bloody hard!! If it turns into a punch up then you can concentrate on scoring....

224th at The World Cup II

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 05:14 AM
Da Warboss

England
although luck plays a part, I'd advise getting sure hands on as many skinks as possible, cos in my experience they are fine until you need that crucial pickup...

dwarf coaches tactics are fairly sound, but sometimes it's an idea to use the skinks to tie up players or tempt them into blocking when they are needed elsewhere. They are also good for fouling, being fairly abundant. Just always try and keep one or two left to score!

NAF #60

Skull_CrusherOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 07:39 AM

Indigo wrote:
They are also good for fouling, being fairly abundant. Just always try and keep one or two left to score!

Keeping them alive is the problem.

Would you really use sure hands, what about taking sure feet and let them advance as far out of the way as possible? Ideally in direction of the goal line.

In the league that I'm running, at the moment I have to choose a skill for a skink.

Skull_Crusher

emilio68itOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 07:59 AM

Let the skink aside to a saurus, i've played once (and lost 3-0) a lizzy team with 6 saurus, 3 on the scrimmage line and 3 aside of the skinks; it was hard.....

aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 08:00 AM

United States
What line-up are you using?
I would start off first by trying to get as many Sauruses between your skinks and your opponents players as possible. Most wedge plays work well with this team (use your power players to open a gap for your weaker, yet much faster players to run through). Also, if you can help it try to avoid blocking with your skinks. It's just going to get them squished faster.

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2003 - 04:25 PM

Indigo
      Quote:

dwarf coaches tactics are fairly sound, but sometimes it's an idea to use the skinks to tie up players or tempt them into blocking when they are needed elsewhere.

absolutely! When the oponent has the ball then get the little green (or blue now...??) critters in the way all over. Use them to slow down the ball carrier, to prevent a successful break for the endzone and to cause a general nuisance of themselves while the hard-lizards on your team cause carnage.

A very nasty team with very few drawbacks, I was always put off doing them because of the mediocre models, but with the new plastic sets are availible, hmmmm conversions in order I think.Smile

(ps, would a team of 'placcys' be legal in tournaments / bloodbowl?)

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2003 - 04:48 AM

England
Absolutely! "Placcys" are totally legal. The Undead team I took to the BB was almost entirely made up of converted Warhammer models. I only had 2 proper BB minis, and that's only because I had not managed to finish painting my converted mummies.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2003 - 11:15 AM
Da Warboss

England
the only stipulation is that the mini is citadel
scratch built ones are a grey area, though would be accepted I think. Just steer clear of things like the shadowforge stuff in official tournies and you'll be ok

NAF #60

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 23, 2003 - 04:56 PM

Sweet!!

224th at The World Cup II

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2003 - 08:25 AM

I must say right away that I have never played Lizardmen, although I have played against them quite a few times.

I would play them in a combination of chaos/orc and wood elves' strategies.
By that I mean first of all buying at the very least 4-5 sauruses from the start, if not 6.
I would use four sauruses to put tackle zones on my opponents, forcing them to dodge away or even be forced to make risky 1 die blocks.
I would keep the 5th saurus as a back field blitzer (somehow replacing the chaos beastman, since both players have the same speed).

I would use the skinks like line wood elves: always keeping them away from my opponent, and using them for all ball handling operations indiscrimately. Skill improvements would be focused on block for most of my players (thus increasing the survival rate of the little guys), and I would give two or three of the remaining skinks sure hands. They would be spread around the pitch to have always ball pickers available, whether I'd be receiving, or picking the ball from the -knocked down- ball carrier.
One last skink would have catch to take the ball handed off to him by the ball pickers (he would replace more or less the wood elf catcher) when it'd be my turn to receive.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2003 - 01:22 PM

England
The Lizardman team that won the League part of the Blood Bowl had 6 saurus (and 5 or 6 skinks?). The little guys were saved from being splattered across the pitch by the fact that I was too busy dealing with all those S4 players to really go after them. The fact that the team won 5/6 games is also indicative of their strength.

The Lizardman team I played in the BB Resurrection had less saurus more skinks and a kroxigor (the star player one if I remember correctly). I was using the same Undead team as in the Blood Bowl and crushed him easily. I would not have said that his game play was any worse either.

So 6 saurus in a starter team should serve you well.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2003 - 03:44 PM

JJB: Your plan is missing two big elements. Skinks don't get general skills, so no easy Block or Sure Hands for them. Also, I've found the easiest way to beat Lizardmen is to mark their 1 agility players with linemen, who keep the Saurii from being able to dodge away. This lets the rest of my team concentrate on killing Skinks. Break Tackle is an essential Saurus skill. I'd reccomend getting it on at least two players.

-Oscar Wilde

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2003 - 02:49 AM

JJB wrote:
      Quote:
I would use the skinks like line wood elves: always keeping them away from my opponent, and using them for all ball handling operations indiscrimately. Skill improvements would be focused on block for most of my players (thus increasing the survival rate of the little guys), and I would give two or three of the remaining skinks sure hands. They would be spread around the pitch to have always ball pickers available, whether I'd be receiving, or picking the ball from the -knocked down- ball carrier.

Like Skummy wrote, block and sure hands are general skills and you need a double to get these skills! Good luck, mate! Wink

A Saurus can be easily pinned down with a lineman (unless he has break tackle, of course). If you then spread out all your skinks, you will have ONE everywhere. If your opponent manages to take that one out (not that difficult), you will have NONE left in this area. Sad Further, even if this skink manages to get the ball, how will you protect him? I would suggest to send them out in pairs instead...and you don't really need one everywhere. Skinks are fast enough that they can reach parts of the field without the need of placing them there...

With respect to the skink losses, some general remarks based on my experience: your roster should include at least 6 of them, and you should have an apo right from the start. Since you won't put all six skinks on the field at a time, you should have (some) replacements ready for the next drives...maybe try to adapt your tactics to your losses. If you need replacements, try to score fast or force your opponent to score (I know, easier said than done, but keep in mind). Then you may have more chances to get back k.o.ed skinks. If you can affort to stall for one turn, think about it. As a general rule, try to avoid direct contact with skinks where possible. Your opponent can only blitz once per turn. This doesn't work well against tacklers, but is always an option after you have done the important parts.

My general rule against ST3 tacklers: As long as you have a rr, get a second skink/saurus as an assist and make a one-die-block. You will fail a dogde in 33%, the same as the block (assuming your skink doesn't have block). However, if you block there a 33% chance to knock your opponent over as well, which won't happen if you only try to dodge... Confused

Best mode: the tackler is a cas and out
Worst case: you fail and your opponent can easily block your second skink as well... Crying or Very sad Saurus assists are therefore preferred Wink

hope this helps a bit as a skink survival guide (SSG; can be easily attached to the tail for a short brainstorming inbetween the drives or while waiting for the handoff; a must for the modern BB skink)

Sputnik

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2003 - 02:58 AM

Sputnik wrote:
JJB wrote:
      Quote:

Like Skummy wrote, block and sure hands are general skills and you need a double to get these skills! Good luck, mate! Wink
Sputnik

Yeah, I'm know to be very lucky. Very Happy

- and not to remember my LRB perfectly... Wink

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic