NAF Logo
leftstar May 23, 2024 - 02:25 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Fan Factor of 1. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SuMOffline
Post subject: Are you a "SPP Counter" or ...  PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 03:37 AM

WORMLEYSBURG, PA
Are you a "SPP Counter" or ...

Wed. Afternoon I played a game in our League...
(We dusted off many of the Old Teams, that most aren't playing anymore, and team that are maybe going to be in play someday...)

My Opponent was playing a Human Team...
He was weirded out, cuz I was looking at my roster saying to myself... Need 1 more SPP to level her up...
2 more players on my team are equal to my Blitzers...
I won't say no more...
OK, Well... to play Zons in a Competive Style, "Dodge" Combine with "Block" is Lethal... Yeah, my Armor BLOWS, But Knocking me down is a little harder with that Combo... Unless, I play the BANE of the Amazons, the DANG DWARVES!!!!

Beginning of the season, my wins are low, but my TR is nothing to sneeze at... 125, which places me in the top 5 out of 16 players with TR...
My Record is 0-1-2... Few more games, and then "Watch out NOW!!!"

Then there is another guy that is playing a "Necromantic Team", that his Werewolf is getting huge amounts of SPP, and no one else is getting any...
One unlucky Block and dice roll he could drop from the top of the Pile...

I believe it comes down to either you want a Balanced Team...
Making you a "SPP Counter".
- or -
You rely to heavily on a select few players on your team to take you to victory... but that can be the Downfall of your team... One good block and it could cripple your team for that match or maybe the whole season...

So which are you????

Our League Site... if you wanna look!
http://www.theadventurersguild.com/bloodbowl

Reply with quote Back to top
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 05:34 AM
Da Warboss

England
I try to balance out the SPPs my team gets, and deliberatly choose players who could gain a skill if an action is successful, although with my human team I generally get one catcher who scores loads. Once he's got a few skills it's hard NOT to use him to score the rest and win.

With my chaos team it's MUCH more balanced. In fact, until my last game (where I beat Dan Titan 3-1, injured 5 players - 3 RIPs!) all my players had SPPs but only one had actually got a skill.

NAF #60

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 05:42 AM

Very Happy

I'm NOT an SPP counter. I try - but I send in the best players to do the job... Which means I get one or two players VERY good - and I end up relying on them...

A high risk strategy but sometimes it pays off...

I'd say I was too busy trying to win to count SPPs

John meanwhile, sitting atop the league every season Rolling Eyes is an SPP counter and ends up with good strength in depth

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 06:34 AM

Before each game, I examine my roster looking for good opportunities to upgrade my team. The first thing I do? I count the number of "MVP-eligible" players on my team. This is a tally of all players who will gain a skill with an MVP award. In the MBBL, I consider 50% an excellent number for my Amazons; on my Chaos Pact team, anything from 25-50% is good, because we award an extra MVP for winning the game instead of an extra 10,000 gps.

Of course, I also look to see which players are close - but "close" is defined by each player's skill set. For example, a Goblin who needs 4 SPPs can't really be counted on for a completion and a touchdown - but if that Goblin is a Dirty Player, as mine is, I can hunt for a couple casualties. (Apologies to those of you still using the old fouling rules and not handing out Casualties for boots!) Similarly, a Lineman with Tackle and Mighty Blow isn't about to pick up a pair of Completions - a Casualty is his ticket to those last 2 Star Player Points.

Once the game is underway, I rarely try to "force" the play if it means making a few dicey rolls. I'd much rather send the best players for the ball. In my Chaos Pact team's first season, the best player quickly became my Skaven Kicker, who picked up MA +1 and AG +1 shortly after joining the team. Once he got Dodge...well, he scored. A lot. This caused most opponents to figure that I was reliant on him, so they went after him. A lot. No one ever got him. Eventually, a few other players developed rather nicely:

* A Beastman got Block and ST +1
* A Lineman got Sure Hands and AG +1
* A Lineman got Tackle and AG +1
* The Beastman at the top of list later gained AG +1

Armed with a quartet of AG +1 players, my Skaven Kicker is practically an afterthought. Every player on my team contributes as best he can.

I play Amazons in the MBBL, so I understand the value of getting some differentiation on a squad. That team isn't primed for points, however. I have a Catcher with Block and Sure Feet; another Catcher with ST +1, Block, and Side Step; and a Linewoman with Block, AG +1, and MA +1. Those players have accounted for most of my touchdowns. You might think that's dangerous, but it's actually rather safe. They handle the ball much better than anyone else on the team! I'm not about to risk 3+ passes and 3+ catches to gain a single SPP for a single player unless that player will certainly gain a skill with the Completion and - this is the important part - the pass won't cost me the game if it falls incomplete. Accordingly, one of these players usually ends up with the ball, and they rarely (if ever) give it up to a "lesser light."

But when I hear "SPP counter," I think of the Old Days. I think of Griff and his fellow Star Players grabbing the ball and rushing downfield before the coach spends 30 seconds poring over his roster to determine which of his scrubs should take the handoff for the touchdown. I rarely see coaches do that these days. The re-rolls just aren't there. Neither are the stars. And if your best player has the ball, he's probably going to finish the play.

-Chet

noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 07:23 AM

We still allow 4 star players - but it doesn't happen in our league either (cos stars in our league can't use team rerolls - they aren't team players - too busy signing autographs and generally poncing to actually practice...Wink - Griff is (even Wink) worse now - "3+ leap anyone? No reroll?))

And you're right - that sort of thing doesn't happen any more - just too risky!

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 07:28 AM

Canada
      Quote:
(Apologies to those of you still using the old fouling rules and not handing out Casualties for boots!)

Do you mean that we now allow SPP for fouling ? I thought LRB stated otherwise!!! But I would like that !

Fred

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 09:14 AM

SBG wrote:
Do you mean that we now allow SPP for fouling ? I thought LRB stated otherwise!!! But I would like that !

The LRB doesn't allow it. My league (the NFL) does. Mind you, we've made a few small tweaks in the fouling game:

1. No Eye
2. DP is +2 to AV only (whether assisting or fouling)
3. No automatic +1 to AV for fouling

But the system is gorgeous. And unbreakable.

Anyway, that's somewhat off topic Smile

-Chet

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 12:50 PM

I always count SPP's. I play a lot of orc and skaven teams and hardly ever get a blitzer or a GR get more than 2 skills ahead of the others. If I have a lineman that's a TD or a completion away from getting a skill then I try to put him in situations where he will get that.

I hardly ever have a player that's in the top 10 of SPP's in the league, but I have a well balanced team that is hard to beat.

ChrisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 03:00 PM

England
Nope. i just try and win first, and after having built up a lead/massacred the opposition do i try and be SPP tactical. Saying that SPP's tend to be fairly scattered around my players, as i have only a vague grasp of what they can do and tend to try and pull things off with completely inappropiate individuals cnstantly. I think we need models a foot high to be used in the game. (In my ogre team - the biggest team I have - all the ogres got block nearly simultaneously, appart from one chap who ended up with ag 3 and pro!)

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 04:08 PM

Undisclosed
I try to count SPP's, but always seem to end up with 1-3 players so much better than the rest. For example, one of my Norse Blitzers has MB, PO and tackle, and has more Cas than the other 3 bitzers put together. I don't go out of the way to give them to him, but when it's a 1-on-1 blitz to take down a ball carrier, I know which of the 4 I'd rather hit them with.

And I really try to spread the SPP's around the Vamp team, but the thralls are useless (at least mine Wink ), so the Vamps normally end up picking up all the in ame SPP's, leaving the poor thralls to beg for the MVP's.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 06:30 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Well to be honest it is like the old saying

"Money attracts money"

or

"Success attracts success"

.. when you get somene who improves then you will naturally be more tactically inclined to use him in the future to further your success as he is better then your standard guy....

I generally look at a my roster at the start of the game and if there is someone who is near ' the next level' then I will try to put them somewhere within my 'begin of down set up' that will enhance their chance of gaining that little bit of experience they need. Then that it is! All I can normally do to then is keep my eye on players that are either:

A) Beating me to death (Orcs / Khemri / Necromatics / Chaos)

B) Running rings around my slow-ass players (Any kind of Elf team / Lizardmen / Annoying-furryass-Skaven)

It never generally occurs to me who has what unless I am out-numbering the enemy so I can afford to take my eyes off the ball...

224th at The World Cup II

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 06:50 PM

Netherlands
I always found the coaches who targeted certain players with skill advancement to be a bit beardy. It was worse in 3rd edition because the handicap table was a much bigger factor.

If you give a player the ball because he needs the 3 SPP's from the TD to gain a skill, then in my opinion you are playing the mechanic and not the game. No coach says to himself "I need Frank to score a Touch Down, it will make him dodge better."

Unfortunately the game lends itself to this type of Min/Max'ing and the better coaches learn to play this way to improve their league teams.

John -

GertwiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2003 - 09:36 PM

Quote:
I always found the coaches who targeted certain players with skill advancement to be a bit beardy

Hmmm....I don't consider it beardy at all to try to keep like players fairly even. Why wouldn't I score with a different GR or Orc Blitzer instead of having that 1 go to guy? If he's taken out for whatever reason, you'd be hosed.

I don't risk losing a game to do it, but I'll put the players who need skills in a spot where they are more likely to get the SPP's.

CervidalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 04:12 AM

Well... the difficulty in trying to play the game instead of the game mechanic is that team training is linked to team performance.

After reading the recent article on Blood Bowl 7's I really noticed this. In that, just about everyone's advancement is pretty even. After four games, both me and my opponent are going to have the same oppertunity for advancement.

In Blood Bowl, however, if I'm playing Elves and he's playing Dwarves, I as the elf coach am going to have to pass a ton to advance my team. The Dwarf coach HAS to bash his way to SPPs or risk being left in the dust.

Until the two, game performance and team training, are seperated you're not going to be able to genuinely chastise a coach for doing something like this.

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 09:57 AM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

I totally agree, that is why I try not to!!

It kinda interupts my own game-play so I try to let it concern me much and if my opponent wants to play such a game then as long as it does not slow down the game much then 'Go ahead fella, whatever does it for you!'
Wink

224th at The World Cup II

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic