NAF Logo
leftstar Jul 03, 2024 - 11:17 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
What are the odds I'd roll another one? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GriffOberwald69Offline
Post subject: Overtime Rules  PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 08:48 AM

Please someone can tell me the rules for overtime in semifinal league match ?

Cheers

Griff

Reply with quote Back to top
jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 10:01 AM

To my knowledge they are the same as regular season overtime rules.

Random team chosen to recieve

No refresh of re-rolls, but if you had some re-rolls unused from 2nd half, they are still good in OT.

Sudden death, first to score wins.

If no score for 8 turns it's a tie.

Semi-final note: Since you "can't have a tie" in semi-finals
After that it's up to commisioner to determine what to do if score is tied after 8 OT turns. Should have been determined before game started, but since it probably has not, best idea is to continue until someone scores.

MartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 12:24 PM

It's the semi-finals, you play until someone wins. Cool Could be interesting without any rerolls.

Martin

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 03:03 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
we do:

2x 4 turns overtime, toss for first reciever.
If still a draw, keep on playing till there is a winner.
Any coach may concede the game without penalties. (cuz a dwarf, orc, chaos, etc team may keep his opponent from scoring and then just kill all and score without opposition)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 03:07 PM

The actual rule for playoffs is 8-turn OTs, roll for receiving team every odd OT and alternate every even OT. First TD wins.

However, an interesting twist that i've added in my league, and that makes OT fairer, is that every kickoff event is automatically a blitz in OT. That way, it's not an obvious advantage for either the receiving or the kicking team.

PuckohueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2003 - 11:02 PM

The LRB rule is if it's still a draw after 8 turns of OT, the end result is a draw. You'd have to toss a coin or something to decide the winner.

I think most people would rather use one of the suggestions above or something similar though, but those are house rules.

NAF member #421
MAFOC member #4
Rabid Ratpack

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 09:13 AM

England
I just looked this one up.

Quote:
The first team to score wins the match. If neither team scores, then the match is a draw or can be decided by a penalty shoot-out: each coach rolls a D6, high score wins, re-roll ties! Any unused re-rolls add +1 to the D6 score.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 10:13 AM

Mordredd has the "official" call. We play standard overtime in my league, with no draws allowed. We've had a good number of games go to OT, and most of them have been very tight affairs!

Zombie - That's an interesting twist! Just out of curiosity, what percentages of coaches have won the coin toss and chosen to kick?

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2003 - 05:49 PM

I'd like to answer that, but as we only have OT in the playoffs over here, there's not enough data to make statistics.

Actually, i think there's only been one OT since i introduced the rule less than a year ago, and i wasn't there to witness what happened.

I'll tell you one thing though. If i won the toss, i really don't know which way i'd go. It would probably depend on the races and the skills present.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 12:04 PM

Zombie69 wrote:
I'd like to answer that, but as we only have OT in the playoffs over here, there's not enough data to make statistics.

I'll tell you one thing though. If i won the toss, i really don't know which way i'd go. It would probably depend on the races and the skills present.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure which way I'd go, either. In that sense, it's a good idea.

-Chet

MartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 02:16 PM

I can see using the offical coin toss to decide a regular season tie but it's just wrong to do in the playoffs. It would be like deciding the World Cup on a shoot out (opps they do that don't they). Very Happy

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 03:08 PM

Martin wrote:
I can see using the offical coin toss to decide a regular season tie but it's just wrong to do in the playoffs. It would be like deciding the World Cup on a shoot out (opps they do that don't they). Very Happy

If I'm still tied after 50 turns, I probably want the game to end immediately Wink

Seriously:

* If you had the advantage but couldn't finish off your opponent, you deserve to be at the mercy of the dice.
* Conversely, if you held off your opponent long enough at less than 50/50 odds, you deserve a 50/50 shot to win the game.
* Finally, if the game has basically been a toss-up...well, the coin toss settles the issue much more quickly!

Cheers Smile

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 07:29 PM

I still disagree with that. In playoffs, you don't want a hard fought game to be decided by a coin toss! Winning that way would suck more than losing in 3rd OT!

In playoffs, the stakes are too high not to fight 'til the bitter end!

dwarfcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 07:40 PM
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl

Zombie69 wrote:
I still disagree with that. In playoffs, you don't want a hard fought game to be decided by a coin toss! Winning that way would suck more than losing in 3rd OT!

In playoffs, the stakes are too high not to fight 'til the bitter end!

I totally agree Twisted Evil .

I think what Chet was refering to was when it gets 'silly'. You know, if the final game breaks the 3 hour boundry and still no definative answer then you really do have to start thinking
"If it hasn't happened after three hours, if and when it does happend is it really a respectable result as in normal game/ to win the league?

Or, to phrase it in a different way, if I heard that the winner of the entire league took 4 hours to win the final, and he was using Khemri, I would not be impressed with his skill level at all...

224th at The World Cup II

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2003 - 11:13 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
All of our OT games use the auto blitz zombie mentioned and have for several seasons. We all love them games rarely go to a 2nd OT but at the same time it doesnt favor either team.

Quote:
Zombie - That's an interesting twist! Just out of curiosity, what percentages of coaches have won the coin toss and chosen to kick?

In our league about 40% of the time the team that wins the toss chooses to kickoff.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic