NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 11:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff Oberwald should retire. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fe2mikeOffline
Post subject: When to retire....  PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 10:52 AM

United States of America
This is my first season of league play (and my first time using dwarves) and we are playing a 10 game season followed by a 4 round playoff tree. I just finished game 8 (5-3) and my Dwarf blitzer just aged on his second skill, Niggling injury. He has guard & mighty blow. Should I retire him after game 9 (I'll have enough $ to replace him) so that I'm not caught short a ball handler in a playoff game?
My team has Both slayers, both runners(1 is a rookie), both blitzers(guard & Mighty Blow), and 8 Longbeards (3 guards, 2 of them w/ Mighty blow).
Our league has a good variety of strength and agility teams. I was just curious if another coach could lend some advice.

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 10:57 AM

United States of America
IMHO the assistant coach wouldn't be worth it...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:14 AM

Normally I would not, but Dwarves are a special case. The lack of ball handling really has the potential to hurt you if he niggles out of a game. I'd replace him if this was going to be a long term league. If you plan on restarting after this tournament, keep him.

-Oscar Wilde

fe2mikeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:29 AM

United States of America
After this 1st season we are playing another with new teams followed by a 3rd with our choice of the two experienced teams, and I'll probably keep the Dwarves as they are fun to play, unless my halflings make the playoffs in season 2 Very Happy . Rather interesting idea but our commish has been approached by 5 new players wanting to join so he decided on not sticking them in right away with the experienced teams.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 11:37 AM

Five new coaches sounds like a very good thing! Our league has had an influx of players recently as well, but our structure lets us bring them in as gradually as they'd like. Each coach runs 3 teams, but only one can compete in major tournaments. The other two play 1/2 as many pickup minor league games per tournament.

New coaches can hang as long as they'd like in the minors, and several coaches have switched their minor and major league teams between tourneys.

-Oscar Wilde

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:08 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I'd wait till I got a full roster.

1 Nig is not that bad.

You can allways use your apo on it, playing Dwarves you don't expect that many cas against anyway

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2003 - 12:11 PM

United States of America
Skummy, does your league have a webside? I am interested in reading more aboout this format. I believe it could work well in my area.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2003 - 09:23 PM

Khankill: Sorry, I thought I posted a reply to this several days ago. (moving has taken a lot of energy over the last few days.) We don't have a website, but I'd be happy send you or anyone else an excel file of our league if you PM me your email address.

-Oscar Wilde

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2003 - 09:25 PM

Toronto, ON
actually I'd like to take a look at that too skummy, my league is going through the same thing.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2003 - 09:07 AM

Khankill & Anthony: I tried to send PM's to both of you on this subject, but I don't see them in my "Sent" box. The gist of it was that you can email me about this, and I'll send our league's file back to you.

I'd be happy to do the same for anyone else who's interested.

BTW Anthony, I really like the new NAF avatars. They look really nice, and the national flag backgrounds are functional and classy.

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic