NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 05:12 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Goblin team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject: Modifying the Hand Off action  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:10 AM

Our Wood Elf coach showed me in painful detail why the original Hand Off rule should be changed, but has it gone too far? I would like to suggest that the Hand Off is treated like a Blitz action, rather than a Pass, so that the Hand Off occurs *anywhere* in the move, rather rthan at the end of the move.

This allows for better potential for placement of Tackle Zones to help the new ball carrier (assuming the recipient still has the ability to move that is). but what are the disadvantages? Would this be so bad?

Andy

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:45 AM

Thats how it used to work, it was changed to the current way becuase it was over powered. Its not exactly hard for elf teams to run up and pass to someone near the middle of the pitch, who then runs off and hands off to someone further down who can then run it in. Wood elf teams were practically unstoppable in 3rd edition, changing the hand off rules resolved this somewhat.

Jon

coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 04:17 AM

Not quite, the Hand Off could be *taken* from someone under the original rules. I'm not suggesting that, just that the player is allowed to continue moving *after* the Hand Off is complete (if the receiving player doesn't drop it that is - in which case: Turnover!).

The example you give can still be executed under the current rules: player#1 uses a Pass action (after moving), player#2 uses the Hand Off (after moving), and player #3 uses the Move to score a TD.

The example my Wood Elf coach gave was of two catchers, each in, say 2 TZ's. One dodges out into a non TZ part of the pitch, the ball is passed to this guy. The second dodges out, takes the Hand Off from the first guy and runs in a TD. The problem there was nobody had to make the catch while under TZ's and it was A Wee Bit Too Easy to pull off. With my slight modification you still couldn't pull this off as the Hand Off remains a one-way Action, rather than the two-way it was before.

Cheers,

Andy

CervidalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 05:37 AM

I do see your point, coachblacknife, but, in the fifty or so games I've played in the current rule set, the updated version of the Hand Off still allows you to do some pretty decent positioning for Hand Offs.

Example:

I almost always use my handoffs to form up whatever kind of cage I set up. The player handing the ball off often forms up the weak-side rear or front corners of my cage, in the below example, the left two spots, assuming I'm the X's and 0 is my ball carrier:

X____X__Z
__0_____Z
X____X__Z

This is just one example. You're right, it would be nice to be able to hand off the ball then use that player to screen off further downfield, but I don't think it is a necessary rule change.

MarcusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 07:54 AM

The main reason for keeping it unchanged is that the current handoff rules mean you generally require one extra player to consolidate a play. This requires a lot more planning and forethought than if you could do a "drive by" handoff. It helps maintain the balance between fast and slow teams.

I'm generally a finesse coach and I think the current rule is the best way to go about it.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 08:23 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Marcus wrote:
The main reason for keeping it unchanged is that the current handoff rules mean you generally require one extra player to consolidate a play. This requires a lot more planning and forethought than if you could do a "drive by" handoff. It helps maintain the balance between fast and slow teams.

I'm generally a finesse coach and I think the current rule is the best way to go about it.

I'd agree with Marcus here. I've been very happy with the LRB rules for handoffs and agree that they are the best way to handle handoffs.

Galak

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 12:53 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
As a Welf coach I loved the old rules but the new ones are waaay better

coachblacknifeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 02:37 AM

So to summarise: the suggested modification wouldn't be so bad, it's just perhaps unnecessary.

Fair comment, I was just under the impression that the change went too far and that the move after handoff would be a better medium.

Cheers

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic