NAF Logo
leftstar May 15, 2024 - 06:35 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You don't know Borak! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ThomOffline
Post subject: Adventures in Green Stuff  PostPosted: Jun 01, 2004 - 11:44 PM

I have begun converting an Ogre team from assorted GW Orges. Using the "Ogre Bodyguard" and several "Golgfags" to start from I have been been filing, snipping, and building up with green stuff. I like this stuff but I am too impatient with it! It takes OVER twenty four hours to set up hard and I keep wanting to do too many parts all at once. Doing shoulder pads and knees pads in the same day just doesn't work for me. I keep putting finger prints in one part or the other when I change work areas! However this stuff is pretty damn cool, if you don't mess with it toooo much and give it time to set up then it is amazing stuff! I began by cutting the axe from the bodyguards hands, then drilling out the axe handle stubs with a Dremel tool. I used a jewlers saw to cut off the purse/bag and seperate the thumb from the cupped palm. Then a medium warm soldering iron to warm the right hand which I slowly bent open to accept a 2d red plastic ball. A right shoulder pad, knee pads and a round back shield for the number completed completed the BB armor. Extra green stuff was used to flesh out the drilled out palms and left shoulder (From the repositioned left arm) and to add a set of knucks to the left hand, it also repaired damage to the leg from removing the purse/bag. I haven't decided yet if I want to make his leather helmet into a more BB like helmet or let it be. His backpack was simply left off, the hole to mount it is covered up by the back armor/shield (number plate) . The Golgfags are also coming along though with less intensive effort. I will post pics sometime in the next week or so before I paint it (You don't wanna see it after it's painted, I suck at painting) so you can see the effort involved. I am pleased with the results and am now addicted to green stuff conversions!
Oh yeah, Spit is very important to keeping greenstuff from sticking to the wrong things! ! !

Reply with quote Back to top
ThomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 - 05:30 PM

Okay, I hope I have this done right. . .

It previews okay!

Last edited by Thom on Mar 29, 2008 - 01:27 PM; edited 1 time in total

BlondcoachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Pretty cool buddy Shocked !

1 small suggestion; bend / convert his head to look sliightly downwards. Most of his opponents will be shorter than him, also he will look cooler in pics...

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2004 - 02:21 PM

United States of America
Sweet Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

KLKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 22, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Colombia
very good, but use a round base. is better.

TurnipOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 23, 2004 - 02:42 PM

lookin good, i kinda agree with blondcoach, but i think instead of converting the head, you could just try and get the ball arm slightly further back, or do nothing at all. it looks fine as it is and don't worry too much about the painting either

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Awesome  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 - 07:35 PM

Undisclosed
Dude- I like it just the way it is...picture him smoking the poor loser that Pow was Pow standing in front of him...now he's looking down field for an open target.
Razz

By the way...I would keep the leather helmet the way it is. As a matter of fact if you could do something like this with all of your guys you could model the team after a NFL team in the 20s or 30s.

Great Job! -Karl Lagerbottom

JasonSkeeOffline
Post subject: Re: Awesome  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 - 07:55 PM

United States of America
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
Dude- I like it just the way it is...picture him smoking the poor loser that Pow was Pow standing in front of him...now he's looking down field for an open target.
Razz

I agree not all ogres have just got done smashing some poor slob into the ground.

As far as setting up the putty to allow you to work on more pieces during a day, I will pass on some knowledge I have learned from a good friend of mine that sculpts for reaper miniatures.

First it is a two part epoxy putty, which means one part is filler the second part is a catalyst (in other words hardener), which means that if you put more catalyst in your mix it will harden faster (although possibly become more brittle) but green stuff is pretty flexible with the amount you mix it at. So you might try to just mix it with more blue than yellow (blue is the catalyst with this product).

Heat also helps set up the putty, so if you are working on your model at the same place where you paint, leave your painting light on for awhile to let it heat up and the set the model with the green stuff facing towards the light. Also if you are looking to add just little detail like rivets on the shoulder pads (or whatever) you don't have to wait until in completely sets up to add more green putty. You should let it sit for awhile until the outer skin hardens. You still have to be careful with how much presure you use but you can still work on it and add new layers before it has cured all the way.

As far as how your current WIP is going I like it so far, I think that this is one of the best ogres for converting to Blood Bowl. If you are trying to get a more metal looking pad for the kneepads and shoulder pads you might want to add a small ridge around the perimeter of the pad so that they look like metal that has been hammered out. You might also want to give a go at putting straps around the back of the knees so it looks like he "strapped" them on rather than being an extension of the pants he is wearing. I also agree with the others that he should be mounted on a round base as square bases have always looked like crap.

Hope this wordy post helps.

Jason Skee

ThomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2004 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the good advice Jason! Armor straps are my current project along with rivets and edge details. If it doesn't work real well then I will might resort to denting and scaring the pads to make them look damaged. I must confess that Karl's suggestion of using leather helmets for the whole is very appealing too, with a few exceptions most of the minis I have chosen are bareheaded. . .

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic