NAF Logo
leftstar May 16, 2024 - 11:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Tournament Director in ratings fix scandal! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Hanging back for a couple of turns so the opposing coach will not be able to score....
Fair
62%
 62%  [ 108 ]
Foul
15%
 15%  [ 26 ]
Depends...
22%
 22%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 172

MagierOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:42 AM

Oh, I'd never say someone has to score immediately when he could, but I've seen people stall a game for a complete half which makes playing the game somehow quite pointless, no?

If I play the game for 2 hours, I want to have fun at it.
Setting up my SF/Guard Dwarves in a cage and wait til we run out of turns isn't my idea of a fun way to spend my time. :p

Reply with quote Back to top
noodle1978ukOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2003 - 03:51 AM

No.

Player in our league resularly stalls for a half - IF HE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT!

Which I think is the point.

I like playing elves - I don't go around saying I wish hard teams were banned... Well not always Very Happy

Member #2351
Noodle's Tournies

TackledummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 21, 2003 - 07:06 PM

I'm gonna group myself in with the 'Oh my god I can't believe people think this is cheesy' train of thought.

Slow grinding teams have to play to their strengths, just as fast teams do. For fast teams this is the ability to score in 2 turns, sometimes even less. For slow grinding teams this is the ability to slowly send the opposition into the injury box and therefore allow them a chance to score. Why would you deliberately handicap yourself by denying yourself time to hurt the opposition, why would you play into their game?

Coaches of fast teams who think this is a cheesy tactic should take a good look at the teams that employ it. To say slow grinding teams should not use this tactic is like saying fast teams should not use the full movement allowance on their movement 8 and 9 players. Simply because a slow team can not compete with this, they can not get the ball and therefore that would make it cheesy according to the arguements in the negative i've heard in this thread.

In terms of stating that when a slow team has an opportunity to score a touchdown they should do so is also ludicrous. One of the tactics of fast teams if they get into a bit of trouble while playing defence is to allow the opposition to score so they can get players out of the KO bin and quickly put another point on the board before Halftime or Fulltime. Why, as a slow grinding player, would you give in to this tactic? Why play the game how the opposition wants to play it, once again, the idea of winning a game is to play to your strengths as opposed to your opposition's.

Of course there are situations where it seems a bit over the top to use it, as already outlined, wanting a win and the injuries too, beating on newbies etc. If you believe that this is a dishonourable tactic then I've got an old cliche for you. Nice guys always come last, especially in Bloodbowl. If you value being nice and, some would say, 'honourable' over winning then by all means ignore what the majority of people on this thread have stated, but if you're in it for the win, I say don't score till their injured bin is full.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2003 - 08:03 PM

Well said!

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 28, 2003 - 03:28 AM

Why, why, why do ppl think this is cheesy? Even with dark elves I try to delay scoring as long as possible so I can:
a) kick the crap out of other sissy teams longer
b) deny the hard hitting (= slow) teams turns to score back
c) it forces slower teams to keep a few players back to force you to score -> hence less hitting power on the line of scrimmage

But then again dark elves play dirty so maybe I'm wrong?

LarthosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2004 - 04:56 PM

You know, it occurs to me that nearly every team has some sort of tactic that coud, under the right circumstances, be considered cheesy. However, does that mean that we shouldn't allow (for example) thrown players, regenerating players, or hail mary/diving catch combos?

Of course not, but each of those and many more have been blasted by someone in the past. The fact that some teams are set up for brutality (such as hit them till they fall, then foul) and slow tactics (such as the clock game) is just another thing for coaches to learn how to defend against.

If someone is playing tactics that you don't have a response for, then you had better do your homework before you play them again. That, or just be ready to mark down another 'L'.

Of course not everyone will agree with me, but hey... that's what discussion is for, yes?

*BOOM*

End of story

redjackOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2004 - 08:04 PM

Tutenkharnage wrote:
"Playing the clock" is as cheesy as it gets, and I personally look down on any coach who does it. I can win the game WITHOUT playing the clock, and I do. Routinely. If you can't, you aren't a capable defensive coach, plain and simple.

-Chet

The only problem I have with that thought is: IF I'm not a capable defensive coach, then I would have a problem keeping you from getting to my ball carrier and thus keeping me from playing the clock.

In other words, if you can't stop me from running out the clock, then perhaps you're not a capable coach*...

Is a slow moving cage also "playing the clock"? I play orcs, and while they're capable of scoring in a turn or three (okay, three or four), sometimes I mix up the offense and go for the slow grind.

Sometimes you just have to run out the clock to win the game. (On the other side of the spike, running out the clock to beat on an already beaten team IS just wrong. I'm just arguing against total discrimination against this tactic under any circumstances.)

*(which, btw - I know you are. I saw you play at the TKC, fortunately not first hand! Smile Nothing personal, just arguing my point... )

coach_McGintyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 08:45 PM

What I think of people who deliberately use the stalling tactic can't be said in a public forum. Bloodbowl is one of the few games that I still play because the groups I play with are more into the spirit of the game than anything else. Its a rugby style game where the focus is on moving the ball forward and scoing not prancing about with the ball while the clock winds down. When I play someone who does this sort of thing I'm very tempted to peform a blitz action for real then follow up with a foul.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 09:01 PM

This game is based on football, and real football teams play the clock at the end of the game almost every time.

coach_McGintyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 09:15 PM

not during the game only at the end of the entire match.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 09:54 PM

Or at the end of the first half. Anytime that they can make their drive last until the end of the half, they go for it. Same with Blood Bowl.

ArdendronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 04:45 AM

Any Coach may play their own style!

I don´t like it to put a player in front of the end zone and wait until my last turn to score. I´ver never seen an open receiver in football waiting that the clock is running out. It is no problem to slow the game down. But IMO if there is a free way to the score (without making a dice role) the player wants to bring his name on the table!

Ardendron

jtrain31Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2004 - 09:13 PM

I think the tactic is good in a tourney or league when there is a lot on the line, but I wouldn't use it in friendly matches

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2004 - 05:33 PM

Tutenkharnage wrote:
"Playing the clock" is as cheesy as it gets, and I personally look down on any coach who does it. I can win the game WITHOUT playing the clock, and I do. Routinely. If you can't, you aren't a capable defensive coach, plain and simple.

-Chet

Of course the flip side to this is, if the other guy was a good defensive coach you wouldn't be able to stall in the first place. Tit for tat.

One thing that bugs me is people who seem to insist that stalling automatically means that you are going to be maiming. If the other coach wants to sit off me I will happily hold my position.

The only game I think I sat there trying to get the hits in was the last game at the spike, though that was cause I needed a cas to get the extra 10 points.

Still I am a firm believer in the fact that if you defend well enough then the other team won't be able to stall against you. I can't remember a tournament game where i was stalled against tbh. I do say this in the exception of when taken a lot of casualties, then well its somewhat hard to defend well with less players. Though with that situation the other team could just as well score reset up and score on you again. KO pending etc

Jon

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic