NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 05:18 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That boy's got talent! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Halfling Stadium Rules  PostPosted: Dec 01, 2004 - 06:50 AM

Canada
My next project is going be the construction of the halfling pitch for my tournament. Seeing as I got so much great advice from the NAF members for the graveyard pitch, I thought I would post the rules for the halfling pitch here and see what people think.

Halfling Stadium Rules:

These are the experimental rules that I have developed to be used for the halfling stadium in the tournament.

The Pitch
The halflings are a very neat and tidy race and are almost as adept at gardening as they are at cooking. The halfling Blood Bowl pitch is a sight to behold, a field of thick green grass, soft and springy to the touch. To represent this especially lush turf, all armour rolls will be at -1.

The Food
Blood Bowl players love coming to play at the halfling stadiums. Not only because of the reduced risk of injury, but also due to the fact that they are so well fed!
However, there are some players who are bottomless pits, whose appetite cannot be sated. The rules for halfling food will come into play in two ways - for normal players they are considered sufficiently well fed, and it will only be kick off result tables which will dictate how the players may be affected. For any players with the ???Always Hungry??? racial characteristic, they will be relentlessly drawn by the savoury aromas that waft from the McMurty Burger and Squishybelly donut stands. They will be more of a slave to their appetite than ever and will be subject to the special rules in the ???Feed Me??? section.

It should be noted however, the halflings will favour their own, and as such if one of the teams playing in this stadium is a halfling team, then the normal rules for the master chef will be in use. It can be assumed that the food served to the opposing team is in lesser qualities or is less coated in jams and gravies!

???Feed Me!???
Some players are ruled by the monstrous appetites, and as such will sometimes go to such lengths that they will eat their own team-mates in an attempt to satisfy the desires of their belly. The smells of the delicious cooking in the halfling pitch only make these matters worse and sometimes they are overcome by their desire to eat (and eat and eat....). Any players who have the ???Always Hungry??? racial characteristic will be subject to the following rules when playing in this stadium.

Eager to eat:
The smells of the food provide a constant encouragement to the hungry big guy to get back to his feet so that he may get back to what is important - eating! When knocked over or stunned the ???always hungry??? big guy does not need to roll stand up (although to stand and blitz they will). This is assumed to be passed automatically.

Rampage!
???Always Hungry??? big guys will have to test for the wild animal/stupidity as per normal with all of the regular modifiers in effect. However on the roll of a natural ???1' then the smells of the halflings??? cooking will be too much for the big guy and he will ???rampage??? towards the source of the food. Normally this will be the burger stand on the sideline in the middle of the field, However, there is a chance that there could be a hot dog vendor on the pitch in which case, the big guy will run towards him.

If the big guy is ???rampaging??? then they will move in a straight line towards the source of the food, taking the path of least resistance. What this means is that they will not move around tackle zones, but will instead move through them, and if a player should be so unfortunate to be in their way, the big guy will make a blitz action against them (regardless of whose team they are on). Furthermore the rampaging big guy will be in such a state that they will be subject to the following rules and rules exceptions:

???they may make as many blocks/blitzes as they need to in the course of their movement
???they may use the break tackle skill when moving through enemy tackle zones regardless of whether or not they have the skill already
???they will move towards the source of the food at their movement value
???they will not ???go for it???
???they will not make any attempts to pick up or catch the ball

The owning team of the rampaging big guy will not suffer a turnover if the big guy should fall (due to bad block or dodge roll). However, if in the course of their rampage they knock the ball loose from one of his own players, then it will be considered a turnover.

Should the rampaging big guy reach the source of the food then they will remain there until they pass a stupidity/wild beast roll however, their regular roll may not be modified by intentions to block/blitz or ???babysitters??? from their own team. No-one would want to get near them! So the roll will be an unmodified 4+. While eating the big guy will occupy one of the two squares bordering the chef, but will not exert any tackle zones. While eating enemy players know better than to get between a ravenous big guy and his food and are not allowed to make blocks against him.

Rampaging to the hot dog vendor:
A notable exception will be if the source of the food causing the big guy to rampage is the hot dog vendor. The big guy will make the same efforts to make it to the vendor, and if successful then the vendor will be pinned and will no longer wander. Furthermore any players who were previously rendered out of play by the hot dog vendor will now be able to resume their regular actions and exert their tackle zones, as they dare not get between the big guy and his snack! Remember that the big guy will remain with the vendor (and vice versa) until the stupidity roll is made (4+) or the food runs out (2+ on each players turn).

Weather Table - the regular weather table will be used

Kick off Table:

2 - ???What do you mean we???re out of Fizzy Pop???? Some extremely poor planning has left the fans short of (one of) their favourite snacks. While sorting out the grievous situation the game is delayed. Roll 1d3 and move the turn counter that many squares on both players??? turn counters.

3 - Sticky Fingers - The players??? were treated to the Krunchy Kreamy Sticky buns before the kick off and come to the field still licking their fingers. The sticky icing makes the ball easier to handle and all rolls to pick up, hand off and catch the ball will be at +1. However letting go of it is a bit more problematic! All attempts to pass will be at -1.

4 - Perfect Defense - as per normal kick off rules.

5 - Hot Dog Vendor - see full rules under the ???Hot Dog Vendor??? section

6 - Bad kick - as per normal kick off rules.

7 - Weather - as per normal kick off rules.

8 - Quick Snap - as per normal kick off rules

9 - Brilliant Coaching - as per normal kick off rules.

10 - Blitz! - as per normal kick off rules

11 - Buffet - The players were treated to an all you can eat halfling-style smorgasbord and their bellies are now full to bursting! Roll a d6 for each player on the team (on and off the field) if the roll is a ???1' then they are too full to play (or still eating in the event of a big guy!) Keep them in the reserves box.

12 - ???They???ve got ???Jelly Jam Jams??? over there!???- The discovery that one side of the stadium confection stands are selling a favourite treat that the other side is not has the halflings rampaging across the pitch in an effort to make sure that they are not denied the culinary treat. Unfortunately the players are caught in the mad stampede. Roll a d3 and this many players from each side are stunned by the rush and will be placed face down on the pitch.

Hot dog Vendor - The rules for the hot dog vendor can be found in the BB annual 2003.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2004 - 07:41 AM

England
Looks good to me.

I can only think of two possible ideas that you might like to consider.

Halflings are not exactly renowned for their rough house fans, so you might want to add a -1 modifier to injury rolls for being pushed into the crowd.

There are bound to be large numbers of vendors wandering along the sidelines with their food trays. These might be something of a distraction for players on the sideline. So perhaps a bonehead roll is in order?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2004 - 08:18 AM

Canada
I like those ideas!

As always the thing I want to be careful of is having too many funky rules that it then becomes hard to remember, and slows down the game. But these are simple enough, and very characteful that I think that they would work well!

Thanks Mordredd!

Spazz

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 06:42 AM

Canada
In putting together the tourney rulebook, I have rconsidered some of the pitches, and am toning down the "sepecial rules".

For the halfling pitch - this would mean that the special rules regarding the "Always Hungy" creatures will be suspended from tournament play. What I have done though is implemented Mordredd's suggestion about the -1 to injury for anyone pushed into the fans. (they have such squishy little hands - it is hard to get hurt!)

So otherwise you have a spongy, soft board with some pudgy (and hungry) fans. Still a fun board, but perhaps a little smoother (to help ensure quicker game play).

Spazz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic