NAF Logo
leftstar May 15, 2024 - 09:41 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dodge this! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Using 'Ard Coat  PostPosted: Aug 21, 2004 - 07:20 AM

Undisclosed
Since I am stuck at home while everyone is at Gen Con...I thought I'd paint a bit. (Getting Ready for Spike!.)

Anyway...I am not quite ready to use it yet, but I was hoping to get some tips on using varnish to seal the models. I just purchased GW's 'Ard Coat for another project (Thanks Grasshopper) and was wondering how to apply it to a finished model.

Do I need to thin it down with water...should I treat as a wash as I apply it or more like a paint?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. -Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Reply with quote Back to top
juck101Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 - 01:28 PM

England
no you can just chuck it on with a brush. Must say i was very let down by it and found the finish a bit boring. its not mega gloss and would be more usefull if it was.

"http://club-jeux.indriya.org/lutece/forum/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=1160" - on these photos from louis my elf team about half way down; are sprayed with clear coat. that is much better than ard coat becasue of the soft finish. i have used loads of varnish types over the years but the clear coat is always a good option for any style of fig

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2004 - 01:56 AM

I found that 'ard coat was only usefull for making bits shiny and worthless for protecting the paintjob. I use Humbrol Matte emanel. It makes the the paint job matte giving a eal cool efect especialy if you have blended your shadidng. and it actualy protects the minis. if you then want parts to be shiny you can apply a layer of 'ard coat to those areas.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 15, 2004 - 06:36 AM

United States of America
'ard coat is great fgor gems and the like...I don't like a glossy finish on a whole fig.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

EsrikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 09:25 AM

Atlanta, USA
For people that take photos of their models as well as using them for gaming, do you varnish first then photograph them, or get the photos then varnish and game?

These models were heavily varnished with GW matt varnish a few years ago and it shows as they don't look anywhere near as shiney in real life.

http://mercenarybrush.com/esrik.shtml#Blood_

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic