NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 11:59 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Concussion! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HatchOffline
Post subject: NAF Newb and Blood Bowl Newb. Human roster advice please.  PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 07:07 AM

I found the website about a week ago and this its very cool. I'm glad there is this kind of resource for the game.

I'm jumping into my first league with a human team. The other teams involved will carry over their team rating from one season of play. They are between 130 and 170 team rating. I dig the humans because of their versatiity. I've played some preseason games and tried different lineups with varying success. There are a couple of general points I think I have observed from othere posts. First, Fan factor should always be high for a team that will be around for a while because it is the only way to buy new men for the team. Second, re-rolls seem to be limited to about 3. I don't really understand the re-roll thing because I seem to never have any by the end of the half and I have tried four. And if they cost double would it be wiser to have more to start with???

Here is my current final roster...

2 Throwers
1 Catcher
2 Blitzers
6 Linemen

3 RR
9 FF
1 Apothecary

This leaves me with 20,000 extra to start. Is that good/bad, does it matter?? Obviously I want to maximize my initial funds but whatever...

Most people will say why the two throwers and I would respond, because they give me greater mobility in my backfield when I bget the ball and give me a better chance to pick it up in one turn. I can also use the non ballcarrying thrower to block for the ball carrier or, I can throw thr ball to the other thrower as a change of position. On defense the throwers are as good as linemen and they can stay off the line to protect them a little.

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 08:24 AM

United States of America
I'd trade a thrower for that 20k and a blitzer. Block will prove invaluable against more developed teams.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I'd be tempted to risk the first game or two without an apoth as well and start with a few extra positionals. Depends how bashy your league is though, it's a gamble, if you go for it buy him asap though.

Boom! He's on his back!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
In an existing league I'd start with the apoth. You are more likely to get hurt by a developed team. I'd probably take a 2nd catcher (spending the 20k on upgrading a lineman too) or think long and hard about maybe swapping a reroll and lineman and the 20k so you can start with the Ogre (he's very tough - so will protect the other members of your team from getting hurt).

HatchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 05:11 PM

Double, I wanted to stay away from the extra catcher because it is a bash league. Dwarves and Chaos Dwarves. The STR 2 seems like a killer. I also wanted to stay away from the ogre to start. With one catcher i still feel like i can play the passing game with the MA 7 Blitzers. What do you think of the re-rolls how important are they early??

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 08:56 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
In a basher league I would definatly start with the apothecary and also take Mel's advice and change the 2nd thrower into a blitzer. With 3 rerolls you shouldn't be afraid to let your blitzers play a major role in your offense.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 10:29 PM

Undisclosed
Hatch-
If you are plaing in a bashier league, you may have the ability to be the fastest team in the league. (Relative to the teams that you mentioned so far.) Given that you might want to take an extra catcher to maximize one of the few advantages that you'll have to start. Get them a score or two each and you'll have two Blodgers before you know it. (Get lucky and you can get one of them dauntless.)

On defense you can use these guys as safties and with their speed they can support each other. On offense you can pair them with the blitzer so that they don't get dog-pounded. The two dwarf teams will negate the dodge skill when the catchers are on the receiving end of blocks, but they are twice as fast as the dwarfs...play smart and these guys will not come into contact with them TOO often.

If you follow this advice...you had better get that Apoth to start. Smile

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2005 - 11:31 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Hatch wrote:
I also wanted to stay away from the ogre to start

Any particular reason?

IMO you've got 2 choices you can either emphaise the passing side of your team - and hope that due to the bashy nature you'll face off against teams designed to beat other bashy team (i.e start with 2 catchers).

Or you can maximise your own bashing ability and try to slug it out (i.e. take the Ogre early, maximise blitzers and ignore the catchers).

Remember that humans normally prosper if they can out bash the agile teams and out pass the bashy ones.

Rerolls are pretty good on most teams but humans normally don't need more than 4 because they have so many skill rerolls anyway (Sure Hands, Pass & Catch) meaning TRR are really used for blocking and AG rolls with the bltizers. You can live with 2 - 3 is better, but a better player might be more useful.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic