NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 12:15 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Wot no players? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject: Do Black Orcs take Pass Block?  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2005 - 09:39 PM

It's pretty straightforward, just like the topic says. This board was especially helpful for me a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd try again. I play an Orc team in a league, and my four Black Orcs break down like this:

1. Block, Guard, Mighty Blow (-1 AV)
2. Block, Guard, Mighty Blow
3. Block, Guard, Tackle
4. Block, Guard, Stand Firm

As you can see, I spread it out a little for their third skill. I play a game today and #4 gets his fourth skill. I was running the MB vs. Tackle debate (I'm in a division with lots of Elves and Amazons), then I thought... why not Pass Block? No Elf in their right mind is going to stand -next- to a Black Orc, and I have Stand Firm for dodges anyway. I need more PB, since right now I only have it on two Blitzers (One with +1 AG and Pro, though!). Do I give Pass Block to a Black Orc, knowing that I'm going to have it on 6-8 of my starters when they all skill up... or do I just stick him on the line with MB or Tackle?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: Do Black Orcs take Pass Block?  PostPosted: Aug 06, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Canada
Damn! I was wondering how you got so many skills on your BO's

TrentBrooks wrote:
I'm in a division with lots of Elves and Amazons

But I guess this answers it!

I would think that in a league of wood elves and Amazons I would still rather take tackle for the Black orc. More of his time is going to be spent pounding the opposition than having the odd opportunity to block a pass. Granted, Pass Block is an interesting choice, and with the Stand Firm he is the most likely recipient to get it.

I think you also have to consider that a lot of passing might be done far from the front of the line which is where the black orcs tend not to move far from. He might not even get the opportunity to block the pass because he is too much int he thick of things. On the other hand, squeezing three free movement points out of a slow player is good.

But all in all I think that what it would come down to for me is what skill are you going to get more use out of. Personally, I think a Black Orc blocker should take skills more befitting to his role - hitting. Go for tackle.

Another point that you said yourself was that no wood elf in his right mind is going to want to stand next to a Black Orc - well don't make it any easier to let him get away!

That's my advice. Take it or leave it,

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

TrentBrooksOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2005 - 07:24 AM

Well, the reason they have so many skills is because the team is about 30-35 games old. It won my store's last league and is trying to become the first repeat champion in the store's history. Not going so well, though... I lost to a Dark Elf team and got beat up by a Chaos team. We'll see what happens next, though.

As for your suggestions; yeah, you're right. I knew, deep down somewhere, that Tackle was the right choice, but needed to hear it from someone else. Two BOBs with Tackle mean I can flank my Troll with it on the LoS. Thanks. Smile

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Undisclosed
The other thing to think about given that your league is a carry-over league and seems to be getting up there in terms of skills (For your team at least. Smile) is that you will see more and more blodgers as a matter of fact.

As teams get older/stronger everyone will be developing blodgers and less and less of the dice results will get you what they once did...Tackle helps to address that somewhat.

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 08, 2005 - 05:22 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I'd take tackle first. (Block, Guard, Tackle, Mighty Blow on all of them) and only think about Pass Block as a 5th skill.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic