NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 12:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Miss Next Game. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SBGOffline
Post subject: Some questions concerning extra SPP's  PostPosted: Apr 03, 2003 - 01:30 PM

Canada
Hi Guys !

We are between seasons in our league, and some coaches went up with some wacky propositions. I don't like all of them, but since we're a democratic league, at least we pretend to be, there will be a vote held in the next couple of days. I'm looking for a few arguments against or for, I don't mind !

a) Completion SPP on innaccurate pass caught by teammate;

b) Interception SPP's on innaccurate pas caught by opponent;

c) Give one "catching" SPP for the guy catching the pass.

The first two, I could live with. The last one, I think that the rules are made that way for a certain reason, but that argument won't hold at the league meeting. Waiting for your thoughts !

Fred

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2003 - 03:02 PM

United States of America
Adding SPP's for catches shifts the balance toward passing teams. The same thing with INT SPP's. Who will have catch and a high AG? the passing teams.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

TysoniumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2003 - 10:29 PM

I'll bite on this one...

1. I don't agree with allowing SPP's on inaccurate throws. You get SPP's for doing things right... even if someone manages to catch the ball, the thrower screwed up the pass and doesn't deserve points for it.

2. You get 2 points for an interception already... I'm not sure why this one is a question. Does your league roll for pass or interception first? (I know rolling for the interception first seems counterintuitive, but it makes mechanical sense. I choose to interpret it as if the pass was intercepted, it was by default not a fumble).

3. I disagree with giving SPP's for catching the ball, as it is not an optional action. Since you must try to catch the ball, it's not really a matter of that particular player deliberately attempting an action.

Honestly, I think that there are enough opportunities in any game for SPP's without trying to create some new categories. Is there a particular reason your league is trying to develop players faster? If so, why not use the EXP rules, or break the MVP in two parts and award it to two players (2 SPP each or something)?

QuastaOffline
Post subject: Quasta  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2003 - 10:06 AM

Our league made the mistake of awarding catch's the 1pt same as completions.

In turn we had to increase the points for Injuries to help balance things out so the strength teams would not get left behind. We ended up giving 1pt per KO and 3 instead of 2 Pts per death.

We are accumulating SPP's quickly but since we play short seasons 5-8 games its seems ok for us.

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2003 - 11:31 AM

We played a short season using A and B. Didn't notice any affect at all. I like the thought behind it too. If anyone from the moving team catches the ball (doesn't happen very often if it scatters but it does happen) it's a completion. I also like the idea of someone one the receiving team catching it, it counting as an interception. Hey, they just took possession away from the moving team, after-all. I think this could help the STR teams as opposed to making them less competetive. AG teams usually throw accurate passes anyway. It's the STR teams that flub the things when they count.

I don't think catching should be a point at all. If you make catching a point, you shouldn't have the pass count. I don't like that.

KarlLindemannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2003 - 08:32 PM

Peotone, Illinois
well then, I think catching should part of a Completion because honestly whats 1 more spp i dont think it would unbalance anything whine or complain all you want to about passing teams and unbalancing crap (no i do not play a passing team) and i want to know Concordias certain reason he thinks the rules are like that

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2003 - 09:45 PM

I run three pretty pass happy teams, and find that most of the time a completed pass results in a TD. My catchers always lead my team in TD's in any case, and I just don't see a need for artificial inflation of SPP's.

-Oscar Wilde

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2003 - 10:00 PM

Canada
      KarlLindemann wrote:
well then, I think catching should part of a Completion because honestly whats 1 more spp i dont think it would unbalance anything whine or complain all you want to about passing teams and unbalancing crap (no i do not play a passing team) and i want to know Concordias certain reason he thinks the rules are like that

Only through play testing Karl. I believe they (GW, BBRC, Andy, whoever) came to the conclusion that catching a pass wasn't worth a SPP.

And Skummy just added my thinking about it : more often than not, a catch leads to a TD, unless those HE are scrapping countless SPP by throwing quickies in their backyard ! COuld you imagine if the receiver would get a SPP ????? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Fred

KarlLindemannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 08, 2003 - 09:32 PM

Peotone, Illinois
It would lead to more passing and more chances for incomplations and more crazy scattering fun for only 1 spp bah! and good point Concordia Rolling Eyes

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic