NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 10:44 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
One, reroll, one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LarthosOffline
Post subject: Requesting thoughts on Halflings  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 06:36 PM

I'll be coaching a Halfing team in our upcoming league, and while I don't expect to win every game Wink , I'm wondering what comments I might get regarding starting out with a roster full of Halflings and no Big Guy.

Or should I start off with one Treeman or Ogre for the Halfling-fling?

Futility? Or just a touch of madness that might make it fun?

For those of you who wonder why I chose Halflings, it's because in our last league I went undefeated as Skaven. I want to keep things at least a little interesting for Flynthorn Twisted Evil

*BOOM*

End of story

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 22, 2004 - 09:10 PM

Halflings can't field ogres, but you should definitely start with 2 treemen. As with any team, max out on rerolls and fan factor. I started my halfling team with 9 FF and 5 RR and posted a .500 season.

BevanOffline
Post subject: Re: Requesting thoughts on Halflings  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 - 01:32 AM

Larthos wrote:
I'm wondering what comments I might get regarding starting out with a roster full of Halflings and no Big Guy.

Or should I start off with one Treeman or Ogre for the Halfling-fling?

What sort of Halfling roster would have no Big Guy? You can't have more than 16 halflings and what would you do with all those rerolls, since you now get a free Master Chef?

Start with 2 Treemen to save your Halflings having to front up on the line every time. Throwing is a bit high risk so don't do it all the time, but the threat can keep opponents on their toes.

Make sure your opponents never have any rerolls. It's more fun for you. Evil or Very Mad

RyanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2004 - 01:43 AM

Canvey Island, Essex

As it has been said Take your Treemen

A good Starting Roster I've found is

14 Halflings
2 Treemen
3 Re-Rolls
9 Fan Factor
1 Apothacary
40,000gp in the Bank

OK first of all that 40K in the bank will allow you to "Borrow" up to 3 of your opponents Re-Rolls (1 for the Master Chef and 1 more dice for each 20K spent).

The Apothecary is there for 1 reason and 1 reason only to SAVE your treemen. they may not go do that often but when they do go down you can be sure that your opponent will Foul him.

9 Fan Factor will pritty much win you anything FF related on the Kick off table (Pitch Invasions are a Nuffle Send).

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 30, 2004 - 05:34 PM

Undisclosed
      Ryan wrote:
9 Fan Factor will pritty much win you anything FF related on the Kick off table

Not sure how you work that out, as most of my teams start with FF 9 as well.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

RyanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 - 12:34 PM

Canvey Island, Essex

Really the only other Teams I've played that start with a FF of 9 are other Flings and Gobbo Teams

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 - 01:40 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Okay that HAS to be longest time someone has ever taken to respond to a response in a thread ... wow!

Galak

bhschenkerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2005 - 02:50 PM

I used to field a halfling team for fun back in 3rd edition before the big guy rules. It was tons of fun throwing halflings down the field. Basically, try to get two eithers on either side of the pitch down there. Throw one with the ball. If you fail, hope that your opponent can't reach the ball. your next turn either grab the ball with one of the halflings and/or use the other two to block/slow down your opponent while your halfling grabs the ball and scores. It's really fun to play throw the teammate no matter what you do after.

carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Being 3-0 in our current league with halflings, it really boils down to:

Take chances. Even if its reckless. You can get away with simple because its their nature. I've had opponents throwup their hands indisgust because of random luck.

Always put the ball in the endzone. Because no matter how many halflings are on their back or stomach, no matter how bad you position it on the board, a ball in the endzone resets everything.

KhaineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I've always been interested in playign a halfling team, but stunty just scares me so much. But as has been said I can't even imagine trying to play with JUST halflings and no Big Guys. A person could just stack the line and put one safety in the back field and unless your playing against khemri or dwarves, you won't be able to outrun anything.... So you dodge past the line, he can blitz any halfing he chooses with a 2db... I don't know while halflinfg seem liks an incredibly fun team to play I don't think I would have the skill to play a team with obvious faults < low av stunty low movement>.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
carmachuOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 09:29 AM

Well you do need the 2 treeman to hold the line. And they do that very well.

The key to halflings is the key to any dodgy team: get the hell out of the way. And stunty cuts both ways: 3+ to get out of any tackle zone, n o penelties....

you gotta take the good with the bad.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic