NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 05:08 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You will re-roll a one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShepherdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2005 - 08:24 PM

Spazzfist wrote:
Who said anything about dodging? Hit them! Pow You may have to do one or two to try to get those 2D blocks, or to get away from a black orc or ogre, but otherwise hit 'em! Hit them before they hit you! Then when they are pushed away or on their butt, do not follow up.

See above, mainly, but basically:

1. I hit.
2. I push back or -- if I'm lucky -- knock down.
3. I don't follow up.
4. They stand up, if need be, and step forward on their next turn.
5. The rest of their players do interesting things while my players are tied up in a never-ending tug-of-war against stronger, better armored opponents.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2005 - 09:07 PM

Canada
Shep,

What you say is very possible, but I have often found it better to be more offensive and aggressive. When I play my worst games it is because I am reacting to the beating that I am getting. Skaven are great at being able to react to opportunites. Sometimes you just have to be patient and remember that often the best defense is a strong offense!

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 19, 2005 - 10:29 PM

Canada
ok, I guess you're in a pretty basy league, and yea, Skaven can be no fun when you don't have some elf teams to play against who don't like getting hit less than you.

So, My suggestion would be to get as many linemen as possible. Get a Rat Ogre too, those guys are great, they can hit, and you're opponent will spend most of the game tyring to hurt him.

As Spazz said, look for the opprotunity for the AG 5 GR to get in, take the ball and throw it to another GR who can score.

Finally, get a DP on a lineman (or two or four of them). Knock 1 guy over, and foul him with as many guys as you can spare. Keep doing this. If the guy gets kicked out, oh well, at least hes not hurt. This also gives your opponent a target. he'll be trying to get the guy who ifouled his best player out of the game. If he kills the DP, oh well, he didn't get your GR.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2005 - 06:44 AM

Canada
Just be thankful that your AV7 players are cheap! Try playing wood elves in a league and see how that feels! Jinkies!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2005 - 11:35 AM

Shepherd wrote:
      Paul wrote:
      Quote:

That's where my "they're not elves" angst sets in

Yea, its 3+dodges, but, take any free players you have, give the guy an assist, and block the guy away from him. Skaven are not elves. They can hit.

...but elves don't have four ST2 players with AV7. They've got the mobility, better AG, and they're stronger to boot.

Those ST2 players also have Dodge and AG4. Use them as your assists. Just mke sure that you set it up so that your push doesn't end up leaving the pushee next to one of your players.

It does suck once you've lost a few players and start playing down a rat or 4. A full roster of cheap fodder, rampant fouls and 1 die blocks can do a lot of damage. I basically run these guys like I stole them. Full-bore and balls out and a little luck have kept me pretty pleased. Frustrated but happy with the results. If I loose, well, how could I not, I had 3 rats left. When I win, WOOT, I beat your ass with only 3 rats. The 3 rats thing happens to me enough that it sticks out in my mind.

I know you've seen what just 3 rats can do. Expect 3 and when you have more, just be happy it's not fewer. Don't overanalyze the situation or it just all looks hopeless. It's not though. Have fun with it.

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Canada
No wiser words were ever spoken!

Quote:

Finally, get a DP on a lineman (or two or four of them). Knock 1 guy over, and foul him with as many guys as you can spare. Keep doing this. If the guy gets kicked out, oh well, at least hes not hurt. This also gives your opponent a target. he'll be trying to get the guy who ifouled his best player out of the game. If he kills the DP, oh well, he didn't get your GR

My first Skaven team years ago were regularly anihilated, yet still scored many shorthanded TDs just like Snot describes. The first time i fielded a dirty player he removed 3 chaos warriors and a couple of Beastmen:) Admitedly this will not happen everytime, but it gives you a fighting chance.... and you always have a scoring chance anyway!

And remember you have nothing to fear, except fear itself!

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Canada
      Quote:
And remember you have nothing to fear, except fear itself!

And people with Mighy Blow/tackle blitzing your gutter runners

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Canada
True, but under this plan they should be blitzing your DP Smile

ShepherdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2005 - 01:13 PM

So what I'm getting here is that I've been playing the Skaven like that lean, fast kid on the basketball court that got lots of points by being faster than everyone else and getting to the net ... but I should have been playing the Skaven like that little scary kid on the basketball court that gets lots of goals because he's pretty fast, but he's also batsh*t crazy and everyone's afraid of him.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2005 - 01:39 PM

Canada
Thats the ticket Very Happy

PaulOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Canada
      Shepherd wrote:
So what I'm getting here is that I've been playing the Skaven like that lean, fast kid on the basketball court that got lots of points by being faster than everyone else and getting to the net ... but I should have been playing the Skaven like that little scary kid on the basketball court that gets lots of goals because he's pretty fast, but he's also batsh*t crazy and everyone's afraid of him.

yea, is strange as it seems, thats the ticket. The doubles will come, slap a few claws on some guys, MB/Guard on some Stormvermin and a big nasty Rat Ogre to lead the attack and you're looking at a very scary team.

Many years ago, a Skaven team of mine after a full year and a half of play was #1 in the league in Wins, TDs and Casualties (and Casualties against, but when you can tell the Orcs, Dwarfs and Undead that you've got more casualties then they do, they stop laughing pretty quick Smile

Have fun with it.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 23, 2005 - 11:03 AM

Undisclosed
Guard on the Storm Vermin is HUGE...this opens up alot of possibilities around the LOS...even with the low AV.

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 24, 2005 - 08:28 PM

I find Skaven a blast to play. But they are exhausting, you never get a moments rest.

Keeping the right attitude is key.

* The front 3 are the synchronised falling down squad. Its a strange hobby of theirs, I don't quite understand it, but ya just gotta let them do their thing. Plan accordingly.
* Never let yourself get demoralised for being shorthanded on rats. You don't need a lot of rats, just 1 or 2 brave rats in the right place.
* Be brave. Take any chance you have at all to get the ball. Always keep a rat in scoring distance, eventually one of those crazy schemes to get the ball will work.
* Say "Squee!" a lot. It helps keep you focused on all of the above.

Cheers,
Maureen

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Squee!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic