NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 10:04 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Bribe the ref today! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
crazylegsOffline
Post subject: Diffucult decision for starting Elf team  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Okay, so our league is starting fresh this week, and I've decided to play an Elf team this time. This league uses a preset schedule with divisional and conference setups. That's were my problem is... my first game is a divisional game against a good coach (we are probably the two coaches most likely to win the division) who's playing amazons... now down the line I'm not worried, that team peaks pretty quickly, but as a first game, I've run some tests, and my team really struggles against them...

Basically since I can't afford a full skill position roster (and he can) right off the bat, I have a very minimal speed advantage, but he will have 4 blodgers, and the rest of his team will only go down on POWs from everything on my team but my blitzers... so I'm struggling with tactics because I can't really outmaneuver him, and I am definitely at a disadvantage hitting him...

Any suggestions, ideas, whatnot?

Right now the starting lineup I'm toying with is:

7 Line-elves
1 thrower
1 catcher
2 blitzers
2 RR
9 FF

I'm tempted to take an apoth, but I think I should risk it as he shouldn't (he may take a Star player, or secret weapon) have bonuses to hurt me.

Reply with quote Back to top
skatingtortoiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2006 - 03:10 AM

if he beats you with blodgers and dodgers, then dont hit him unless you need to.
assume everything is a pushback.
if youre desperate to win this i recommend a second catcher, even at the expense of the thrower. with a reroll linemen are perfectly capable of throwing at this stage, so dump your two catchers in the opposing half and leave em to it. he can only knock down one of them if you play it right.
2d blocks everywhere, and remember your blitzers are you handymen as far as blocking is concerned.
maybe try enticing his blitzers into isolated positions so you can gang up and foul him out of the game?
dont be in a rush to go forward with the ball. keep it safe in your own half until just the right time.

all in all elves are a good choice and i recommend tailoring each catcher for a specific role (dumpoffer, leaper, pass blocker, runner) to keep all your scoring options open.

crazylegsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Yeah, I ran a few more playtests, and I think I'm going to do something similar to what you suggest. I'm going to keep everything the same, except I'm going to drop a RR for an apoth (I know this opponent likes to foul, and would hate to get hamstrung game 1), and on offense do the old elven "go deep" with both blitzers, and the catcher (he can't cover them all adequately, then go for a 2nd turn score (hopefully with the NOS catcher, or a well positioned blitzer). On defense I'm going to try for lucky kick position, and quick turnovers, and if that doesn't work, I'm just going to delay with tackle zones limiting him to one blitz... I think this gives me the best shot. I still don't think starting elves match up well against starting amazons, but if I get a few breaks this could work.

On a side note, I'm playing a little joke on him with the commish's help, telling him that I had changed my mind and have decided to play my old dwarf team...

skatingtortoiseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 01, 2006 - 03:10 PM

good call with the apoth!

also, on defence always keep one player (preferably a catcher) within scoring distance. chances are, if you pop the ball loose you have the ability to string a pass, a handoff, a touchdown. doing this mustve got me half of the TD's in my last league!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic