NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 08:17 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Ask Lord Borak rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DDogwoodOffline
Post subject: LRB 5.0 and FF  PostPosted: Jul 14, 2006 - 11:03 AM

So, with the new LRB 5.0 league rules, how valuable is Fan Factor? It used to be really important because a high Gate meant that both teams made more money. Now, having a high FF will get you an extra 10-20k per match, and help you on the kickoff table every now and then. On the other hand, it increases your TV, potentially giving your opponent extra inducements.

So, should 5.0 teams go for a low FF (to keep your TV invested in players and rerolls)? A high FF (to get the extra cash, or at least stop your opponent from getting extra cash)? Or something in between (start with FF 4-6 and see how it goes)?

Reply with quote Back to top
PrimesupremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2006 - 08:08 PM

USA
I would have to go with the low FF. Who needs fans:P

Vomit_lickspittle
Post subject: Re: LRB 5.0 and FF  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2006 - 09:05 AM

DDogwood wrote:
So, with the new LRB 5.0 league rules, how valuable is Fan Factor? It used to be really important because a high Gate meant that both teams made more money. Now, having a high FF will get you an extra 10-20k per match, and help you on the kickoff table every now and then. On the other hand, it increases your TV, potentially giving your opponent extra inducements.

So, should 5.0 teams go for a low FF (to keep your TV invested in players and rerolls)? A high FF (to get the extra cash, or at least stop your opponent from getting extra cash)? Or something in between (start with FF 4-6 and see how it goes)?

Perhaps it doesn't seem as big as it used to be, but it still is: Fan Factor now gives you a +1/+2 to FAME. This, in turn, translates into ReRolls on the Kickoff table. Since the kickoff table uses a 1d3, +1 is really good and +2 is killer. Who doesn't need an extra Reroll?

No longer is it necessarily necessary to start out with a 9FF. Attendance is 2d6 + FF. To get +1 FAME you need just "more fans". To get +2 Fame you need "twice as many fans" or more.

How much FF is enough? It's almost a crap-shoot unless you're playing in a league where you know everybody else's FanFactor. Even then, the 2d6 spread is 10 pips/points! So, if you're 11FF over the opposition there's no worries, you'll always be at least +1 FAME.

Fan Factor is highly likely to go up to 10/11 (eventually) from winning games (3d6 roll to beat the current team FF) and consistently losing teams should hover around their starting FF or 7 (FF has a chance of going down in a loss; 2d6, if lower than current FF, -1 to FF). These are assuming average rolls over the life of the team (3d6 avg is 10.5 and 2d6 avg is 7)

Again, what is enough FF?! The question is an old min/max, cost-effectiveness, business decision: will the player you could choose give you a higher chance of winning than taking the fan factor? If you are relatively assured of winning, then even a low FF can be overcome just through playing and persevering!

I'd start out with the idea of playing at 7FF. Even if you lose, the averages say your FF won't decline. If you win, you should go up! If there is a positional player that would really increase your chances of winning, then shave off some FF to add him/her/it to your team.

DDogwoodOffline
Post subject: Re: LRB 5.0 and FF  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Mojoshenpo wrote:
Again, what is enough FF?! The question is an old min/max, cost-effectiveness, business decision: will the player you could choose give you a higher chance of winning than taking the fan factor? If you are relatively assured of winning, then even a low FF can be overcome just through playing and persevering!

I'd start out with the idea of playing at 7FF. Even if you lose, the averages say your FF won't decline. If you win, you should go up! If there is a positional player that would really increase your chances of winning, then shave off some FF to add him/her/it to your team.

Thanks for the insight. I think you're right - it mostly depends on what other players in the league take. From looking at the kick-off table, Fan Factor is only marginally more effective than Assistant Coaches or Cheerleaders now, which seems reasonable.

Since Fan Factor should tend naturally to settle into the 7-11 range, though, I'm thinking that it might actually make more sense to start with a low FF. It used to make sense to have a 9 FF, but now it sounds like "leftover" starting cash should either be saved in the treasury, or split between FF, ACs and CLs.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject: Re: LRB 5.0 and FF  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2006 - 07:01 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

DDogwood wrote:
It used to make sense to have a 9 FF, but now it sounds like "leftover" starting cash should either be saved in the treasury, or split between FF, ACs and CLs.
This type of statement is exactly what JJ said he wanted to see FF become 2 years ago.

Galak

BuggritOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 01, 2006 - 06:46 AM

In your dugout pimping your cheerleaders!
Muahahah, I started with 4 FF but it's gone down to 3 and I'm playing in a league where some guys have FF of 8 or 9!! Happily I've got 3 AC's and 3 Cheerleaders so I don't always lose on the Kickoff table rolloffs!!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic